Why I will never use travel agents again

Chris86

Or, more likely, many people here book early and pay higher prices, from which the TA can indeed get a decent discount. But after re-faring when the price is lowered, people come out the same. Example:

Poster 1 books cruise on the day it comes out, 2+ years in advance. Pays MSRP of $4,000 less 10% TA savings for a total of $3,600. Over the course of 2 years, various sales reduce the price down to $3,200. TA graciously does the re-booking to get the lower fare and Poster is now locked in at $3,200.

Poster 2 waits for the sale, has fewer cabin options, but pays the sale price of $3,200.

Poster 1 brags about the deal that the TA got them as well as their great customer service in watching out for lower fares. Poster 2 shrugs and says that they got the same price. Both people are technically correct.

Using my TA, this is what would have happened.

First booking $4000 less 10% TA savings for a total of $3600.

Second booking at reduced rate of $3200 less 10% TA savings for a total of $2880.

Meanwhile, Poster 2 can shrug all he wants, he still payed 10% more than I did.

BTW, If there is another sale, I would not be "locked in" at $3200. I can rebook at the lower rate less 10%.

Our TA bases her discount on the dollar amount we pay for the fare since that its what her commission from Princess is based on. If we are getting a 10% discount and a fare drops $400, we will get a net reduction of $360 (the $400 price reduction less 10% of the 400).

Edited by mreasier

I have an upcoming Princess cruise for march 2017. A Celebrity offer has come to light. A better offer. Better dates etc.

Being well over the 181 days for a penalty free cancellation I thought great lets make the switch. However I didnt realise my agent had there own set of cancelation policy ontop of Princess. We require to pay a fee for cancelation. I would understand a small fee since its extra work but I think $300 is a little excessive.

They also charge fees for refairing etc (so price drops are useless). Ontop of my frustration I specifically asked if a penalty free cancelation will be honoured by princess prior to booking since we weren't sure about the dates.

Adding to my frustration it states a change in cruise date is permitted for $50. I argued that since they are retaining the commission isnt it a change in date. They argued since it involves cancelling our cruise and booking another. No we incure the cancelation fee. The $50 is only charged within the same booking... one is not sure how you book a new departure date for the same cruise.

Has anyone experienced this before. I.e agent fees ontop of cruise lines?

I've made many change with my current travel agent, including cancelling cruises and changing to a different cruise line WITHOUT paying any additional fees.

You picked the wrong agent. Yes, I would stop using that agent, but there are good ones out there that offer good customer service and like to keep their customers for a long time.

Next time ask the right questions FIRST.

I have an upcoming Princess cruise for march 2017. A Celebrity offer has come to light. A better offer. Better dates etc.

Being well over the 181 days for a penalty free cancellation I thought great lets make the switch. However I didnt realise my agent had there own set of cancelation policy ontop of Princess. We require to pay a fee for cancelation. I would understand a small fee since its extra work but I think $300 is a little excessive.

They also charge fees for refairing etc (so price drops are useless). Ontop of my frustration I specifically asked if a penalty free cancelation will be honoured by princess prior to booking since we weren't sure about the dates.

Adding to my frustration it states a change in cruise date is permitted for $50. I argued that since they are retaining the commission isnt it a change in date. They argued since it involves cancelling our cruise and booking another. No we incure the cancelation fee. The $50 is only charged within the same booking... one is not sure how you book a new departure date for the same cruise.

Has anyone experienced this before. I.e agent fees ontop of cruise lines?

Yes. It's very common. And usually written on your confirmation.

I don't. The rules here just mean endless frustration is caused when people brag about their TAs and their big discounts.

I've done many, many google runs trying to find evidence of these discounts, but without fail, the prices I can find from online TAs are identical to the dollar to what the cruiseline and the box-store is charging. When I reached out to what seemed like a well-rounded local TA with many agents and their own podcast, their prices were MORE than booking through the cruiseline.

Sometimes, with some of the online agencies, there might be a little bit of a difference in OBC, but that's it.

So the forum rules just make it into an arbitrary game of the haves and have-nots--plus I assume some people like to exaggerate their claims/discounts, because human nature.

Princess and most other cruise lines prohibit TA from advertising prices lower than what you can get direct from the cruise lines. Googling will never give you what you're looking for.

You have to personally call the TA and ask for a "quote". They can quote a discount. You can also visit websites but the fares shown there will be the direct fares. However, if there is a "ask for a quote" button, that is a good sign. Call them.

The best way to find a TA who is reputable, doesn't charge change fees, gives discounts is to ask those who cruise regularly. On your next cruise, ask around.

I wish we could discuss TA's more openly but Cruise Critic writes the rules and they accept advertising from many major travel agencies, none of which discount or offer major obc.

All the cruises I book are at least 10% discount or equivalent OBC.

Edited by RocketMan275

I'm surprised that my TA hasn't fired me for all the work I cause her.

I booked 2 DCL cruises on opening day. Then canceled them and booked 2 Princess cruises because I found that I could get a balcony on Princess for less than half the cost of an inside on Disney for virtually the same cruise. Then we started playing the game of EZ air, transfers, etc. and of course insurance. I had her check on hotels/transfers thru Princess (vs. my doing them on my own), etc. FWIW, Princess hotels were WAY high.

OK, this was an expensive B2B cruise and ultimately the agency did get a good commission on this sale, but she did a lot of work for me.

The cruise before that was a 7 night Caribbean on sale with a total cost of under $2000--not much into the kitty for her trouble on that one. But I got the same service as on an expensive booking.

Suggestion--investigate all fees in advance. I pay nothing beyond what the cruise line charges. There is a small fee if she books air other than thru the cruise line--no charge for EZ Air or other cruise line bookings. And no charge for her advice, whether I book what she recommends or not.

I don't. The rules here just mean endless frustration is caused when people brag about their TAs and their big discounts.

I've done many, many google runs trying to find evidence of these discounts, but without fail, the prices I can find from online TAs are identical to the dollar to what the cruiseline and the box-store is charging. When I reached out to what seemed like a well-rounded local TA with many agents and their own podcast, their prices were MORE than booking through the cruiseline.

Sometimes, with some of the online agencies, there might be a little bit of a difference in OBC, but that's it.

So the forum rules just make it into an arbitrary game of the haves and have-nots--plus I assume some people like to exaggerate their claims/discounts, because human nature.

Comparing prices online won't work as TA's are not permitted to advertise their discount rates . You must contact them for their discounted rates.

Using my TA, this is what would have happened.

First booking $4000 less 10% TA savings for a total of $3600.

Second booking at reduced rate of $3200 less 10% TA savings for a total of $2880.

This just highlights the difference between "Travel Agents" and "my Travel Agent". I contacted 3 TAs during the RW&B sale and none could do better than match the lowest price of the year that Princess was offering. You are certain that your TA can do better. Maybe yes. Maybe no. But the travel agency industry as a whole isn't doing what you claim your TA can do. Is secret pricing and special deals any way to run an industry?

I've made many change with my current travel agent, including cancelling cruises and changing to a different cruise line WITHOUT paying any additional fees.

You picked the wrong agent. Yes, I would stop using that agent, but there are good ones out there that offer good customer service and like to keep their customers for a long time.

Next time ask the right questions FIRST.

Bit harsh. Next time you book your cruise through an agent in Australia (where the OP is from)and then go to change it or cancel it and come back and report how you went.

You cannot compare the booking conditions in (US) to other regions. The US booking conditions ARE very favourable. Other regions do not have the same.

Edited by icat2000

Bit harsh. Next time you book your cruise through an agent in Australia (where the OP is from)and then go to change it or cancel it and come back and report how you went.

You cannot compare the booking conditions in (US) to other regions. The US booking conditions ARE very favourable. Other regions do not have the same.

Yes so many seem to forget that what applies in one country may not apply in another.

Princess and most other cruise lines prohibit TA from advertising prices lower than what you can get direct from the cruise lines. Googling will never give you what you're looking for.

You have to personally call the TA and ask for a "quote". They can quote a discount. You can also visit websites but the fares shown there will be the direct fares. However, if there is a "ask for a quote" button, that is a good sign. Call them.

The best way to find a TA who is reputable, doesn't charge change fees, gives discounts is to ask those who cruise regularly. On your next cruise, ask around.

I wish we could discuss TA's more openly but Cruise Critic writes the rules and they accept advertising from many major travel agencies, none of which discount or offer major obc.

All the cruises I book are at least 10% discount or equivalent OBC.

I agree that asking fellow passengers onboard may get you hooked up with a great TA. However, you may find that a TA who regularly discounts cruises for someone who gives them a truckload of business isn't going to give the same type of discount to someone else who doesn't cruise as frequently and is looking to book the cheapest inside cabin.

People talk about better deals from TAs I've spoken to literally dozens, not one has ever been able to offer me anything better than the line has direct.

Not sure where people get the ones who rebate commission as OBC but I've never been able to get such an offer.

I have had much the same experience. I suspect that the posters who say they have TAs who give them 15-20% off Princess' rates are either booking high-dollar cabins on longer cruises which provide TAs with large commissions to discount from, or they are getting group rates through a TA and comparing them to non-group rates.

I understand that most TAs make around 15% of the "commissionable" fare (which is only a portion of the total fare) to start with, so I'm as puzzled as you are. Our long-time TA only gave us a $50 discount on a recent $3000 cruise, then hit us with a $75 refaring charge for a price drop. So it ended up costing us more than if we had booked with the line directly, which we will be doing from now on.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
spelling

This just highlights the difference between "Travel Agents" and "my Travel Agent". I contacted 3 TAs during the RW&B sale and none could do better than match the lowest price of the year that Princess was offering. You are certain that your TA can do better. Maybe yes. Maybe no. But the travel agency industry as a whole isn't doing what you claim your TA can do. Is secret pricing and special deals any way to run an industry?

My TA says she will beat Princess/Holland prices by a minimum of 10%. I've booked several cruises through her and that has been the case each time. I have cancelled a couple of cruises without change fees. In fact, she doesn't charge any fees except those charged by the cruise line.

My TA prices aren't secret and they aren't special deals. Anyone can call her and get the same prices and the same deals. In fact, I deal with two different TA that offer the same services at the similar prices.

The thing is, TA that discount do exist. You just have to do the spade work to find them. If anyone is to blame for the 'secret deals', it is cruise sites that forbid discussing specific travel agents.

I agree that asking fellow passengers onboard may get you hooked up with a great TA. However, you may find that a TA who regularly discounts cruises for someone who gives them a truckload of business isn't going to give the same type of discount to someone else who doesn't cruise as frequently and is looking to book the cheapest inside cabin.

I have no reason to doubt that some agents will give larger discounts to favored clients. However, the two TA I use will give anyone who calls a 10% discount on Princess/Holland cruise. The warehouse membership big box store commonly mentioned here will give 8.5% to anyone who is a member of their store.

I have had much the same experience. I suspect that the posters who say they have TAs who give them 15-20% off Princess' rates are either booking high-dollar cabins on longer cruises which provide TAs with large commissions to discount from, or they are getting group rates through a TA and comparing them to non-group rates.

I understand that most TAs make around 15% of the "commissionable" fare (which is only a portion of the total fare) to start with, so I'm as puzzled as you are. Our long-time TA only gave us a $50 discount on a recent $3000 cruise, then hit us with a $75 refaring charge for a price drop. So it ended up costing us more than if we had booked with the line directly, which we will be doing from now on.

I can't understand why anybody would ever use a TA that charges a "refaring fee" or any kind of BS fee like that. There is simply no reason to use someone who has ripoff fees of that sort. You say this is a "long-time" TA. Did you not know they charged fees of this sort and, if you did know, why in the world didn't you find a different TA?

Edit: Sorry if that sounded snippy. I didn't really mean to be rude. I just know there are a ton of TAs out there that don't have fees of that sort.

Edited by Thrak

I can't understand why anybody would ever use a TA that charges a "refaring fee" or any kind of BS fee like that. There is simply no reason to use someone who has ripoff fees of that sort. You say this is a "long-time" TA. Did you not know they charged fees of this sort and, if you did know, why in the world didn't you find a different TA?

This is a really weird thing to jump on someone for. Just saying. Maybe they'd never needed to change a booking before.

You're absolutely right. People should approach a travel agent as if that agent is applying for a job, a job as their travel agent. They are conducting a job interview. People should have a list of questions to ask in the job interview. They should also believe that the can tell the TA that they flunked the interview.

I'm always looking for travel agents. I called one a couple of weeks ago. The conversation went like this:

Me: I'm looking to book several cruises on Princess/Holland. Do you book with them?

TA: Yes, we do a lot of business with them. I can book you a cruise right now.

Me: You should understand that I expect a significant discount.

TA: We don't do that.

ME: Thank you very much but I'll be doing business with some one who does discount.

Disconnect.

It really caught us by surprise. We have booked many cruises with this TA over the past 12 or so years. She never gave huge discounts, but offered great service and never had any sort of change fee before. Apparently there was a change in their internal pricing policies which weren't disclosed to us until after the fact. We won't be going back to her.

This is a really weird thing to jump on someone for. Just saying. Maybe they'd never needed to change a booking before.

That's why I edited my post. I looked at it and it sounded rude and I didn't feel too good about it. I had the same thought that perhaps they had never had this sort of situation occur and were taken by surprise.

It's unfortunate that there are companies to take advantage of folks with unexpected fees of this sort. It was too late to simply remove the content of the post as it had already been seen by others so I did the next best thing and edited it.

Edited by Thrak

That's why I edited my post. I looked at it and it sounded rude and I didn't feel too good about it. I had the same thought that perhaps they had never had this sort of situation occur and were taken by surprise.

It's unfortunate that there are companies to take advantage of folks with unexpected fees of this sort. It was too late to simply remove the content of the post as it had already been seen by others so I did the next best thing and edited it.

Sorry, I'd edit mine now but we've already quoted everything into Inception. :)

Then why is the OP complaining? If someone from Australia wants to discuss something unique to Australia, then that person should post in the Australia and New Zealand forum, which Cruise Critic provides for just that purpose.

If someone is going to post on this forum, which has a very large majority of US members, then that person is going to get an answer from someone based on that person's experience. As noted, my experience is with US based agents and that is how I answered the question.

I just figured maybe you were having a bad day since you are usually one of the more polite posters :).

We WERE taken by surprise when we were charged a "refaring" fee for a price drop, as it had never happened before with this TA. I suspect the agency has new owners or management, as they recently moved to another town and service appears to have slipped as well.

My advice to those who use TAs is to be sure to review your TA's pricing/fee policies before EVERY booking in case of any changes, just to be sure there are no surprises!

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
clarity