Booking from other countries

Hawaiidan

I have recently seen some really good offers for people booking cruises in other countries and geographic regions. Many due to either terror or currency devaluation... what ever the reason

My question is if a passenger who lives in another country, sees a cruise price that is very very good, can it be possible for that passenger book the cruise using an address of a friend or associate who lives in the region. area where the offer is being made

Say I live in USA, but also can have a British, German or Australian mailing address if desired. Could I then purchase a cruise from those addresses ?

Interesting thought

This has been tried before, but it won't fly.

It all depends on where your PASSPORT is from.

-if an Agent tries to fake it, their future abilities to sell Oceania product will be yanked, and if the passenger pushes the issue, they deny boarding at the gangway

This is the one issue I've seen where there are zero exceptions, no matter who you are or how often you sail.

-if an Agent tries to fake it, their future abilities to sell Oceania product will be yanked, and if the passenger pushes the issue, they deny boarding at the gangway

This is the one issue I've seen where there are zero exceptions, no matter who you are or how often you sail.

It's not tied to your passport. I have a british passport but book in either the US or Canada.

Say I am a US citizen and I am working in say somewhere in europe for 6 months. I have a US Passport and while working abroad I decide to take a cruise, and trudge down to the local Travel agency and find a cruise leaving in 30 days at an astounding good price and want to book it

The ship will be sailng around europe so I wont need Air... I will board and depart all outside the US

How am I going to get pricing? Can I take the foreign agents price and have him book me or do I have to have a US agent book me.

Say the work ends or my visit ends, and I want to sail back to Miami, NY or San Francisco, to get home. I need t buy the ticket.... how would that work from the foreign agent or must I buy from a US agent.... Its all a very interesting problem and I am not sure exactly what is the rules that would be

I had an Aussie work colleague which had an Aussie passport with a USA visa. When he moved back to OZ he maintained his former mailing address in the US, along with his former(current) email address. He still books cruises via his US TA and bypasses the OZ problems. He pays in USD, declines O Air, and arranges his own transportation to the ship.

A close friends daughter and sil work as contractors (a foreign firm) living in Austria working on a contract with the CDC. They book cruises and trip whichever way is the least expensive and no one ever challenges them.

As a US citizen you may use a British TA to book your cruise, even without setting foot abroad. Fares are quoted in pounds sterling and converted to US dollars when billed to your credit card. With the latest favorable rate USD to GBP due to Brexit, this may be a good time for bargains.

I have friends who use British TAs (they only admit it when he exchange rate is in their favor). It is not illegal; if it were I would be visiting them in jail, not on a cruise ship!

We met an Australian couple (originally from England but retired to Australia) on our recent cruise. They use UK benefits because they DO maintain an English address. (This came up in a discussion with the problems that Australians have with the "legal" agency in Australia.)

I've met some other Aussies who manage to rig the system and book in the U.S. I'm not sure how they manage it but technically Oceania would not approve ... or at least that's my impression from previous discussions.

We in New Zealand had a very good cruise deal recently which we took. However we do not get any airfare included, the current airfare to Europe is around $NZ 3,200economy & $NZ11,000 business class per person .If we were to fly to the west coast of the USA & then then book a cruise we would not be eligible for an included airfare , as this is only available to residents of North America. I checked this when on board an Oceania cruise. Also Oceania stated on the offer that it was only available to residents of New Zealand. Another point is that we can no longer get into the Oceania USA website it always defaults to the NZ website, this means we do not know how good or poor the deal is.

Quite frankly, it is beyond me why someone would want to cheat the system. IMO, honesty is always the best policy and I personally would not want to sail with someone that has lied in order to receive special benefits, pricing or airfare. Oceania is a quality product - if Oceania caught a passenger doing some of the things posted on this thread, I would hope that they would be banned from future cruises on Oceania. If they are a TA, they also should be banned from booking any cruises on Oceania, NCL or Regent.

Sorry for being harsh but cheating is intolerable in my humble opinion (not only on Oceania but in general). Agree with Jim and Stan 100% on this issue. I also wonder why this type of thread is allowed to exist on Cruise Critic.

Edited by Travelcat2

Quite frankly, it is beyond me why someone would want to cheat the system. IMO, honesty is always the best policy and I personally would not want to sail with someone that has lied in order to receive special benefits, pricing or airfare. Oceania is a quality product - if Oceania caught a passenger doing some of the things posted on this thread, I would hope that they would be banned from future cruises on Oceania. If they are a TA, they also should be banned from booking any cruises on Oceania, NCL or Regent.

Sorry for being harsh but cheating is intolerable in my humble opinion (not only on Oceania but in general). Agree with Jim and Stan 100% on this issue. I also wonder why this type of thread is allowed to exist on Cruise Critic.

What part do you agree with seeing as what they posted is erroneous? It's not, will not, and never has been based on Passport.

TC,

From what I understand the problem is NOT that people are trying to cheat the system. People in countries other than the U.S. or Canada -- especially NZ and Australia -- have official agencies that charge much more. For example, as I understand it, if someone puts a deposit on a cruise and has to cancel, they lose the deposit.

We don't.

I think they also don't get the "free" air, but that's understandable considering how much further they would have to travel to get to a departure port.

I think you can understand why people might want to be on an even status with those of us in North America. The amounts they pay can be well in excess of what we pay.

Please, someone, correct me if I am wrong.

Mura

What I stated is NOT illegal: an American citizen may purchase a product (including a cruise) from a UK seller. Confirm this with Oceania if you wish.

What I stated is NOT illegal: an American citizen may purchase a product (including a cruise) from a UK seller. Confirm this with Oceania if you wish.

Not illegal, but immoral to the extent that one would be circumventing Oceania's existing selling policies: :cool:

To wit (italics mine):

Booking International Customers

Travel agencies in the United States or Canada may make Oceania Cruises bookings only for residents of the US and Canada. Residents of all other countries must be booked through travel agencies within their respective country of residence. This restriction is reciprocal with regard to travel agencies outside of the US and Canada, who are not permitted to book residents of the US and Canada. Travel agencies making any bookings not in compliance with this policy will forfeit those bookings and the corresponding commission.

I took this all the way up to FDR on behalf of an Australian friend (hi Rhonda!) in concert with a very high powered Travel Agent who would have gotten my friends business if a compromise had been achieved.

Neither of us got anyplace. As it was explained to me, This "non-international" system, for want of a better phrase, is the very bedrock of their business model and they won't/can't budge an inch.

As a result, they don't play around. The Agent loses everything immediately upon detection and they will not let any passenger onto their ships with a "fudged" reservation.

This is not correct. It is tied to where you reside.

So with a UK address and a US passport you can book UK rates.

Not illegal, but immoral to the extent that one would be circumventing Oceania's existing selling policies: :cool:

To wit (italics mine):

I took this all the way up to FDR on behalf of an Australian friend (hi Rhonda!) in concert with a very high powered Travel Agent who would have gotten my friends business if a compromise had been achieved.

Neither of us got anyplace. As it was explained to me, This "non-international" system, for want of a better phrase, is the very bedrock of their business model and they won't/can't budge an inch.

As a result, they don't play around. The Agent loses everything immediately upon detection and they will not let any passenger onto their ships with a "fudged" reservation.

About 10 years ago I always bought my cruises in the U.S , this only lasted a couple of years, until O.C change their policy and I always thought that this was a restrictive practice and did not allow the freedom of choice !!!

Cruise Critic send offers for O.C constantly that when I try to click on to come back with a blank page.

This might be my opinion only and only increases the costs to passengers --- Bring on the Free Market !!!

This is not correct. It is tied to where you reside.

So with a UK address and a US passport you can book UK rates.

The above statement is correct. For me it does not depend on where my PASSPORT is from. Booking in the US has nothing to do with what nations Passport I hold. I am a British citizen and have lived in the US for 38 years. I am a permanent US resident. I do not have a UK address. My US TA fills in the required Oceania Guest Registration Form for me which states my residency as the US .... Citizenship, Passport and Passport Number as GBR. A copy of the Registration Form is included in the Oceania issued Blue Book. I have sailed multiple times with Oceania.

The above statement is correct. For me it does not depend on where my PASSPORT is from. Booking in the US has nothing to do with what nations Passport I hold. I am a British citizen and have lived in the US for 38 years. I am a permanent US resident. I do not have a UK address. My US TA fills in the required Oceania Guest Registration Form for me which states my residency as the US .... Citizenship, Passport and Passport Number as GBR. A copy of the Registration Form is included in the Oceania issued Blue Book. I have sailed multiple times with Oceania.

Fine, but even you must admit that you are a decidedly specialized case, perhaps so unique that you are able to get around the rules.

For the vast majority reading this, their Passport will reflect their Country of residence, and therefore they mayn't book outside that Country.

Fine, but even you must admit that you are a decidedly specialized case, perhaps so unique that you are able to get around the rules.

For the vast majority reading this, their Passport will reflect their Country of residence, and therefore they mayn't book outside that Country.

I'm in the same situation. So perhaps not so unique given the amount of Permanent Residents in North America and people working abroad

There are many people living in the US & Canada that have passports from other Countries

some have dual Citizenship

There are many people living in the US & Canada that have passports from other Countries

I should not have used Passport as a synonym for residency.

I apologize most humbly.

More to the point, the vast majority reading this have Passports from their Country of residence, and must book within that Country. :D

I should not have used Passport as a synonym for residency.

I apologize most humbly.

More to the point, the vast majority reading this have Passports from their Country of residence, and must book within that Country. :D

BUT if they have a British passport & a home in Britain as well as living in the US or Canada they may be able to book in either Country :D

I think that is what some are trying to say & others are just trying to play all the angles ;)

There are almost 8 million Americans living abroad and that number excludes the US Military.

There are almost 8 million Americans living abroad and that number excludes the US Military.

Yes sir, and with 324,181, 327 Americans extant, as of the moment that I wrote this, those 8 million people represent 0.040517665875 (or, significantly less than 1/2 of 1 percent) of the total.

Thank you for helping to prove my point that they represent a tiny percentage. :p

Thank you all for your candor and explaining you situation. Jim and Stan Dont worry we bear you no malice. This whole thing came up because of conversations I had with friends in other countries and the rather "different" rules/practices that their relation with Oceania was based on.

Its clear that they are all over the place andits only natural for people to want to be all treated equaly....its human nature. I mean if I purchase something and you or another comes along and tells me he paid far less its a bit upsetting

No one likes "rubber rates" that is everyone has a different price.. The airlines and hotels have their contract accounts and its easy for one person to pay $185 and another 685 for the same flight same class.

Maybe the cruise industry needs to come up with a more universal and equal across the board. Maybe tie it to brand loyality, the more you sail and spend the more you move up a discount scale.

The airlines are doing this now where its not just miles but dollars/price spent on that airline.

Maybe rather than after 20 cruises you get a free one, that for every 10K you spend with the cruise line you earn say a 3% discount.. You dont loose your discount as long as you spend 10K a year in future cruises on that line.

Give it a 60% max award level.. So after 20 years at 10 K your top tier discount and need to spend 10K annually to maintain it.... Or, after I spend $200,000 with the line Both clients pay the same for the same discount, its just some do it quicker with more spent, but the bottom line is that its the same rules for everyone.

What do you think....would it work? Would something like that work?

Just a wild thought that might work . I would not mind paying more if I knew it applied to everyone and that I had an equal chance to increase my discount based on the same rules...

Anyhow a rather interesting discussion... Thanks again to all

Edited by Hawaiidan