Caribbean formal nights

davenew

Its a few years since we have been to the Caribbean, and on B633, it will be the first time with P&O.

Just wondering, do people wear tuxedo's etc, in the sweltering heat of the Caribbean?? on formal nights. We are listed as having 4, but due to the luggage weights, would like to leave suits behind if possible. Any heads up by people who have been recently.

Its a few years since we have been to the Caribbean, and on B633, it will be the first time with P&O.

Just wondering, do people wear tuxedo's etc, in the sweltering heat of the Caribbean?? on formal nights. We are listed as having 4, but due to the luggage weights, would like to leave suits behind if possible. Any heads up by people who have been recently.

Wearing a DJ in the Caribbean is no different to wearing one on a winter Fjords cruise. The inside of the ship is the same temperature. In fact the Air Con can be quite cool and so a jacket is often needed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were on Azura in the Caribbean in February. It was very hot by day but as said before the evenings inside the ship were wonderfully cool. If you don't want to do formal you will be limited to venues on those nights, we love the formal nights however. The choice is yours but remember you will only need very light clothes for the days so weight may not be an issue.

Predictable as ever, P&O Stalwarts continue to react, keep flying the flag !

I think it maybe be better to take my Tux if the alternative is the Buffet, thanks dgs for the suggestion. I agree that the health risks are too high to contemplate.

I think it maybe be better to take my Tux if the alternative is the Buffet, thanks dgs for the suggestion. I agree that the health risks are too high to contemplate.

I'm sure you'll feel better in your tux and as you say the buffet is certainly not worthy of you. I can see you're softening and you'll be a P&O stalwart in no time. Maybe ?

We have only cruised twice, once on The Thomson Dream and once on the Anthem. We had one formal night on each and enjoyed that with an additional suited night on the Anthem at the Chef's Table. I think a shirt trouser dress code for dinner is great but am sceptical about a potential 4 formal nights on Oceana in September. Looking forward to a little less formality with Princess in March.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sadly Thomson seems to be 'dumbing down' their one formal night a week :( and calling it dress to impress! From pictures posted on facebook it seems the Captain is giving his address wearing open neck shirt and trousers instead of his uniform. This is not going down well with Thomson regulars! We love to dress up, but will probably not bother on Discovery due to the fact we are staying in Mallorca for a week afterwards and limited luggage allowance. One good thing about P&O is that two formal nights a week make it worth you taking formal clothes.

Incidentally, having been on RCI, Celebrity and Princess, I would say they have as many formal nights as P&O. Perhaps NCL would suit better, they don't have any!

Sadly Thomson seems to be 'dumbing down' their one formal night a week :( and calling it dress to impress! From pictures posted on facebook it seems the Captain is giving his address wearing open neck shirt and trousers instead of his uniform. This is not going down well with Thomson regulars! We love to dress up, but will probably not bother on Discovery due to the fact we are staying in Mallorca for a week afterwards and limited luggage allowance. One good thing about P&O is that two formal nights a week make it worth you taking formal clothes.

Incidentally, having been on RCI, Celebrity and Princess, I would say they have as many formal nights as P&O. Perhaps NCL would suit better, they don't have any!

It has gone down well with this Thomson regular. I wore a linen jacket, pink shirt and blue trousers ;)

Back on topic. I prefer a dark suit to a DJ as you can wear the trousers without the jacket, good for fly cruise packing.

I'm not a P&O stalwart but cruise with various lines. You obviously used CC regularly so I'm very surprised that you weren't aware of P&O's dress code. It features constantly on various boards, not just P&O

Quite incorrect, Celebrity have discontinued formal wear and call its replacement Evening Chic, essentially smart casual. Formal is not the norm but people do dress up for their special occasions. They have kept abreast of modern thinking and bowed to popular demand, afterall it is good business sense when all cruiselines are trying to increase their attraction to younger potential passengers.

I am sure Carnival is keeping a close eye on the market and will apply the pressure on P&O too modernise in the not to distance future, like it or not.

I wouldn't call it modernising, more like dumbing down. I see lots of young people in their 20s and 30s very dressed up when they go out.

Still, if P and O formal nights don't suit ( not meant as a pun), you have a choice. Not rocket science.

I wouldn't call it modernising, more like dumbing down. I see lots of young people in their 20s and 30s very dressed up when they go out.

Still, if P and O formal nights don't suit ( not meant as a pun), you have a choice. Not rocket science.

I agree. It certainly isn't modernising. People have been going on about doing away with Formal for years. The fact is the vast majority are more than happy with it.

..........The fact is the vast majority are more than happy with it.

That's a presumptively statement. Profits or lack of will dictate Carnival's future policy.

There were many Celebrity old timers who were against the change from formal, but the $ dictated. Dumbing down to some is staying ahead of the curve to others.

I hope you wishes come true and continue to enjoy Pando's dress code but the world moves on whether you like it or not. They made a start this year by reducing the dress code choices, the writing is on the wall, pando are a followers not leaders.

That's a presumptively statement. Profits or lack of will dictate Carnival's future policy.

There were many Celebrity old timers who were against the change from formal, but the $ dictated. Dumbing down to some is staying ahead of the curve to others.

I hope you wishes come true and continue to enjoy Pando's dress code but the world moves on whether you like it or not. They made a start this year by reducing the dress code choices, the writing is on the wall, pando are a followers not leaders.

Bored with this now. If you don't like P&O then go elsewhere.

It has gone down well with this Thomson regular. I wore a linen jacket, pink shirt and blue trousers ;)

Back on topic. I prefer a dark suit to a DJ as you can wear the trousers without the jacket, good for fly cruise packing.

Ooh the mind boggles Dave :D :D

DH is going to take a navy blazer and grey trousers as he did when we first started cruising, then he can wear the trousers on other nights with shirts.

I shall take black trousers and a variety of tops and just a sparkly one for "dress to impress"

At the end of the day one chooses a holiday to their liking. For instance, the last place in the world I would go to for a holiday is Benidorm, but many people return year after year. So, if P and O isn't to your liking don't book with them. My worst nightmare would be to go on a ship like Harmony of the Seas, so I won't be booking it.

However, just because it's not my cup of tea I don't go insulting those that enjoy it. Fortunately, everybody is different and there are products that suit those differences. In this case, P and Os dress code.

Quite incorrect, Celebrity have discontinued formal wear and call its replacement Evening Chic, essentially smart casual.
Well when we were on in 2011 they had formal nights. We haven't been on Celebrity since as we prefer other lines, so obviously that has changed.

Not really 5* crusing then? :D:D

When on vacation I dress like it. I will wear a nice collared shirt and khakis at most dinners. It's the same place with same food as every other night so I dress accordingly. If you want to play dress up then go for it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have only cruised twice, once on The Thomson Dream and once on the Anthem. We had one formal night on each and enjoyed that with an additional suited night on the Anthem at the Chef's Table. I think a shirt trouser dress code for dinner is great but am sceptical about a potential 4 formal nights on Oceana in September. Looking forward to a little less formality with Princess in March.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just done Princess - NO, not less formal.

You are paying good money for the cruise. You can still eat with out suiting up. They are not going to deny you food. Formal nights are ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can certainly eat, in the buffet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app