Cruise Critic on Tauck!

Cruise Critic Chris

• Members

Hi everyone. Wanted to note that I'm on Tauck Grace this week, on their Rhine/Moselle itinerary. Grace is one of their new ships that was christened this year. Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll do my best to answer!

Chris

68098efc2efe5b8718481dcc99f44de3_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Chris....we will be very interested to hear what you have to say. My post must have crossed with yours as it took me awhile to write it while watching the Olympic Parade of Athletes at the same time. We too will be on Tauck Grace Seot 2017.

Chris....I would like to know how dressed up everyone gets for dinner? Are they as dressed up as they are showing in the brochure photos? Do the majority of the men wear sport coats for dinner or dress shirts and tie for the main dining room.

• Members

Hi Mauimary - I would say that Tauck seems a little more dressy than the other river lines I've done. There are some "gala" nights where men wear a jacket and some ties (no suits). Women wore nice dresses but nothing as fancy as you'd see on an ocean cruise.

On a "regular" night, men are wearing collared shirts, slacks or khakis. No blue denim but nice jeans. Women are wearing nice casual tops and pants, or dresses.

If you don't want to eat in the dining room, the ship also has Arthur's on board. In my opinion, this is a huge hit. The casual grill menu is extensive - everything from a club sandwich to a steak - and you don't have to sit through a four-course meal. It's one of my favorite venues I've seen on a river cruise. We're going there again tonight!

Hi Mauimary - I would say that Tauck seems a little more dressy than the other river lines I've done. There are some "gala" nights where men wear a jacket and some ties (no suits). Women wore nice dresses but nothing as fancy as you'd see on an ocean cruise.

On a "regular" night, men are wearing collared shirts, slacks or khakis. No blue denim but nice jeans. Women are wearing nice casual tops and pants, or dresses.

If you don't want to eat in the dining room, the ship also has Arthur's on board. In my opinion, this is a huge hit. The casual grill menu is extensive - everything from a club sandwich to a steak - and you don't have to sit through a four-course meal. It's one of my favorite venues I've seen on a river cruise. We're going there again tonight!

Is Tauck similar to most of the others, for instance Scenic has ALL free excursions, free alcohol 24/7 and fridge in cabin stocked with whatever you want in the way of liquors, some free laundry halfway through the cruise, free air.

Marlster

Tauck's inclusions are all excursions, free alcohol 24/7 (but it's not in your mini bar), gratuities, spending money for lunch in port, wifi.

Did you ask your cabin Steward to stock your mini-bar with some alcoholic drinks? I'm sure, like us, you'll find whatever you asked for in your mini bar when you return from your excursion.

Chris...Thankyou for your reply on dressing for dinner and what you are currently seeing.

Now for excursions....do you sign up onboard? Is everyone that would like to take a particular excursion able to go? We have an optional excursion for the second day we are in Bern Switzerland. Two days pre cruise are scheduled here as part of our cruise. We have the option to take an excursion up to Jungfrau in Switzerland on day two. We want to make sure we get to go. Since we will be all staying in a hotel do you have any clues as to how Tauck works that.

Mary

Is Tauck similar to most of the others, for instance Scenic has ALL free excursions, free alcohol 24/7 and fridge in cabin stocked with whatever you want in the way of liquors, some free laundry halfway through the cruise, free air.

Marlster

Tauck and Scenic are the two most inclusive lines. Each of the others has some exclusions from this list.

For the most part the excursions are all set for all the travelers to experience together. You can choose to stay on the boat and not participate, though few if any stay behind. They are pretty upscale things they take you to enjoy, it's not just a walking tour of the river town, stop at the local cathedral and then on your own. They don't sell premium excursions, you will find that they are already taking you to them. You will also have some free time to explore and shop a bit on your own each stop.

Chris...Thankyou for your reply on dressing for dinner and what you are currently seeing.

Now for excursions....do you sign up onboard? Is everyone that would like to take a particular excursion able to go? We have an optional excursion for the second day we are in Bern Switzerland. Two days pre cruise are scheduled here as part of our cruise. We have the option to take an excursion up to Jungfrau in Switzerland on day two. We want to make sure we get to go. Since we will be all staying in a hotel do you have any clues as to how Tauck works that.

Mary

When we were in Paris for 2 pre nites, there was a choice. We signed up for a tour of the opera house and the Tauck rep said we had the last seats. So I would try to sign up early. It may be different in Bern. We originally thought we would take the Jungfrau tour. Decided for a tour of the town since we had been to a similar Swiss excursion and thought it would be nice to see Bern.

• Members

For excursions, you sign up on the boat, often a day or two ahead of time. There seems to be room for everyone. On some days, there is one excursion and on others, you make a choice. There are no extra fee or premium excursions; it's all included.

Chris....Thankyou for your very informative review. Lots of info here. Looks like a beautiful ship and we are so looking forward to our Rhine River cruise on the Ms Grace. Love your first impressions and can't wait to hear about more.

Question.....what seems to be the general age group on this cruise?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Reviving this thread to let you know that most of my Tauck stories are up:

Review, ms Grace

Why Tauck is the Cruise Line For You

Tauck vs. Uniworld

One more story is coming (Tauck vs. Viking). Will post that once it's live.

Thanks Chris for the Tauck vs Uniworld article. I'm a big fan of Uniworld with my third cruise coming up in June. But I do believe that Tauck will be a good alternative as well. For now sticking with Uniworld as I personally like the uniqueness of each ship, butler service for the suites, and the 5% off for returning guests next year on top of other discounts isn't bad either. Thanks again.