Carry on wine?

CeeJayPonz

Interesting. I would think this would be an unusual request. Imagine if 3000 people brought bottles of wine and the staff had to manage all of those bottles every night for a week.

If you buy a bottle of wine they will hold it for you. So, not sure why it would matter. Space is space. Personally, I'd be concerned about the corking fee and would just open it in my room, pour a glass and carry it with me to dinner every night. I would think it would make most sense to open one bottle per night for your group, then there's not a storage issue. Or, how many different kinds of wine there'd be. Unless all 8 of you all have different types.

We always carry wine on and usually have a cooler in the room iced down. I will pour a glass of wine or a mug of wine when moving around the ship.

For dinner, I bring my own glass or if I want more,I can bring the whole bottle. I agree with others that there may be a corkage charge for the dining room to store the wine and bring it out every night.

Also, if the wine is "stored" in the dining room, what if you want wine outside of dining room hours?

I usually bring a bottle on, have a drink before dinner or bring a glass of wine with me to the dining room. I order a bottle of wine the first dinner which gets held and brought to me each night so I have a glass from that bottle if I want a second glass of wine. As others said, you may pay a corkage fee if you bring an unopened bottle to dinner. Most lines have a corkage fee of $15. If your particular bottle that you brought on is important to you it might be worth it to do what you are suggesting.

Edited by conwakr

We did the math and it would be cheaper to pay a corking fee than buy the over-priced, SAME bottles of wine from the wine list on board. None of us are in a states rooms and do not have a frig in our cabins.A 5 bottle package of wine that we like in the DR cost $153.00. We can purchase 8 bottles of the SAME wine, offered in the DR at $33 a bottle, for $13 each, locally. Pay the $15/ bottle corking fee for the 8 bottles and pay $224 total. For $71 more, we get 3 more bottles. In the DR, those 3 bottles would cost $99.00. Therefor, we save $28.00. Is this possible to do without causing problems?

They MIGHT hold a partial bottle that you've paid corkage for.

Which ship? Your steward will bring you an ice bucket.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

Bring a collapsible cooler for your cabin. Room steward will keep your wine on ice everyday! Don't forget a wine opener. Open in your cabin before you go! You may or may not get charged a fee (we didn't).

Either way, enjoy your cruise!

We did the math and it would be cheaper to pay a corking fee than buy the over-priced, SAME bottles of wine from the wine list on board. None of us are in a states rooms and do not have a frig in our cabins.A 5 bottle package of wine that we like in the DR cost $153.00. We can purchase 8 bottles of the SAME wine, offered in the DR at $33 a bottle, for $13 each, locally. Pay the $15/ bottle corking fee for the 8 bottles and pay $224 total. For $71 more, we get 3 more bottles. In the DR, those 3 bottles would cost $99.00. Therefor, we save $28.00. Is this possible to do without causing problems?

About 6 years ago, I had them hold a bottle for me that I brought on-board. I had to pay the corkage fee, and they waiters were very nice about it.

That being said, they could have changed the policy by now... You can try emailing your ships Maitired at XXMAITRED@carnival.com, replacing the XX with the ship code. ( I can find if for you if you tell me the ship name)

On a side note, saving $28, seems like a heck of a lot of work for when you are on vacation.... I understand every dollar counts, but it just seems like a lot of work.

There are 8 of us carrying a bottle of wine each on board. Will the dining rooms keep these bottles for us refrigerated for us to drink each night at dinner?

Hi there

Just trying to work this out.

There are 8 of you. Figuring 4 glasses per bottle. You will go through 2-3 bottles per night. You will be out of wine by the third night. No need to have them keep the wine for you. Just drink it.

They will charge $15 per bottle corkage fee if you bring the unopened bottle to the MDR. Much better to drink your bottles elsewhere on the ship and drink other wines at dinner. If you are only going to drink one glass with dinner, then as some said you can just bring a glass that you poured in your cabin down to dinner.

enjoy your wine and your cruise

We have decided to use some of everyone's ideas. We will bring a collapsible cooler with us to our cabin and ask the steward to keep ice in it for us. The particular moscato that we like comes with a screw-on top. We will only have 1 glass of wine each at dinner as an appetizer . We do not drink wine with dinner. After the 8 bottles are gone, we will then purchase more as needed. It is not as much work as you think if everybody carries 1 bottle on and brings it to dinner on their night. Again, thanks for all the advice!

If you buy the wine from Carnival there is no corkage fee and they will hold it for you in the MDR or at your favorite bar. If you bring wine to the MDR it is subject to the corkage fee, even if it a twist off. We have no problem paying the fee for the service. They will also store the unused wine.

I was told this morning by a Carnival staff member that there is NO corkage fee if the bottle has a twist off cap. I was also told that the Freedom has mini fridges in ALL cabins. We can keep our wine cold and take it to dinner every night from our cabins. Sometimes you just have to ask.

I was told this morning by a Carnival staff member that there is NO corkage fee if the bottle has a twist off cap. I was also told that the Freedom has mini fridges in ALL cabins. We can keep our wine cold and take it to dinner every night from our cabins. Sometimes you just have to ask.

That may be true some times but it is not the real way the corkage fee is to be charged, cork or screw cap, there should be a fee, it is not so much for their time to uncork/unscrew the bottle as it is the way they recoup some of the lost profit for not buying the ships wine.

not and issue for me either but DW likes her bottle chilled, I'm PARTIAL TO VODKA ON THE ROCKS HAHA

Don't let the folks from them other fancy cruise lines see that your drinking chilled red wine over here on Carnival. What will they think of us then

"Corkage fee" is the term for a charge by a restaurant for serving wine brought from off premises rather than being bought there ( when wine is bought there, the charge for service is figured in to the cost of the wine). It technically has nothing to do with what kind of closure the bottle has. That being said, I still saved money carrying on a bottle, even with he Corkage fee, and I got wine I really liked. However, on my recent cruise, the waiter did not charge the fee. We tipped him nicely, on top of the auto tips, at the end of the cruise. A suggestion to avoid the fee; open the bottle in your stateroom and carry your filled glass into the dining room.ask your steward for wine glasses

Asses.

Here's an idea. How about Carnival LOWERING the price of it's bottles of wine to say, triple the cost elsewhere, to get more people to buy it on board. When they're asking about 5 TIMES the going price for a bottle of moscato, I will continue to bring my own on board and chill it in my cabin and carry it to the DR. But if they lower the price, they won't have enough room to store the extra bottles that will be purchased by passengers. Now I see their pricing strategy. Either way, we will have wine at dinner somehow.