Visa cost for Brazil

greykangaroo

As we are sailing on the Crown Princess from Santiago to Fort Lauderdale for the 33 day cruise on February 15 2017, we find that we will need a tourist visa for Brazil.

Can someone please verify that my wife and I have to pay $216 each just to go ashore?

$432 seems an awful lot. :mad:

Greykangaroo Perth Australia.

For US citizens using a visa service (CIBT), the price would be $119 (visa service) plus $160 (consular charge) = $279 per person. It's possible in the US to apply directly to a Brazilian consulate and bypass the visa service company.

I don't know your options in Australia, but I do know that anyone who attempts to board the ship without the proper visa will be denied boarding. Or (and this happened to some people on one of our cruises), they were required to leave the ship in Argentina and fly to the port after Brazil -- all at their own expense. So somehow, if you want to do this cruise, you do need to acquire a tourist visa for Brazil.

With my first Brazil visa, you had to apply at the consulate nearest to you. I was short on time, so I used a visa service. Two years later I decided to get my own, as Atlanta had a consulate then. I had to drive 4+ hours, turn in my application and passport, and money, stay overnight, and retrieve it the next day. then drive 4+ hours home. By the time it was over, I figured it had cost just as much with the gas and overnight stop, and meals, as using the visa service would have cost. But at least that time it was good for five years, so three years later I didn't need to get another one. EM

Thank you both for answering. :)

I don't suppose it passed anyone's mind that the only ones needing visas are people from English speaking countries?

Australia, New Zealand, America and Canada are singled out.

Probably love us just like everyone else but must just think we are all rich. Very flattering.

Hoping for an Australian to reply on the terrible visa cost.

Thank you both for answering. :)

I don't suppose it passed anyone's mind that the only ones needing visas are people from English speaking countries?

Australia, New Zealand, America and Canada are singled out.

Probably love us just like everyone else but must just think we are all rich. Very flattering.

Hoping for an Australian to reply on the terrible visa cost.

It's more likely you need a Visa for Brazil because Australia makes Brazilians get a Visa to enter Australia. UK citizens DO NOT require a visa to enter Brazil. So the english speaking reason isn't really a starter, as the home of the english language doesn't need one.

It's more likely you need a Visa for Brazil because Australia makes Brazilians get a Visa to enter Australia. UK citizens DO NOT require a visa to enter Brazil. So the english speaking reason isn't really a starter, as the home of the english language doesn't need one.

Yep. Payback is a *****.

Yes, the word they use is reciprocity, you do it to us so we do it to you! :eek:

That's correct and even the price is set (at least for US citizens) to match what Brazilians are charged to enter our country.

Let me guess....we plunked down the money for the cruise and THEN we found out the extra costs.

And FWIW, it's not $216 to go ashore, it's to board the ship. You will be denied boarding if you do not have the proper documentation.