Anyone booked on US Royal Caribben site to save money??

I have booked a Superior Ocean View via the Aussie website for B2B cruises from Singapore on the Ovation in April 2018 for a total of 17 nights for a total cost of $9,974 for 2 kids and 2 adults.

I have recently discovered that I can book rooms via the US site for $2K LESS after US to AUD conversion. I am considering cancelling my aussie booking and wonder if anyone has been able to book online via the US site??

It will let me put in all my details and it probably helps that I have a .com email address. I can put in the country but I would have to put in a US state as there is no other option.

So has anyone done this??? Or have you had to use a US based travel agent??

Just noticed your last query, we have only booked X & P&O direct but have used a US TA in the past when our dollar was stronger. Perhaps go direct otherwise there are quite a few larger TAs in the US some of which advertise here.:D

Did you add all the ports fees and taxes into US price because it doesn't show it on the price until you get to the end of the booking.

And so time consuming when you're trying to compare prices, even X and RCCL Aus sites do it.

When booking far out one has to take possible currency fluctuations into account as well. Booking in one's home country means fixed costs. As you are looking over 18 months out expectations are that the $A is going to depreciate significantly against the $US at least that is what your Reserve Bank are trying to do. However if after weighing up all the options and finding a friendly US TA a way of reducing chances of currency fluctuations is to pay off all or a significant part of the cruise early whilst the currency is in your favour. I did that a couple of years ago by booking a X cruise through an Aussie TA whilst the $NZ was almost at parity with the $A. I figured that the cruise has to be paid sometime but paying earlier than usual has fiscal advantages to me

A trap to watch out for.
It is for sure.

And so time consuming when you're trying to compare prices, even X and RCCL Aus sites do it.
But at least they have them listed directly under the prices once you go into a particular cruise and then they add them if you continue further.:D

I've met quite a few folk who will only use US TAs for booking their cruises as they're convinced that it's substantially cheaper. For me it's either an Aussie TA or the line itself.

Some prices are but the exchange rates erode most if not all of the savings.

I've used a US TA for two of our future cruises, one because she got me a better deal, and the other because she got me a cabin on a bucket list cruise that has all the affordable cabins sold out two years in advance.

Thanks for the recommendation, Pushka. :)

I've used a US TA for two of our future cruises, one because she got me a better deal, and the other because she got me a cabin on a bucket list cruise that has all the affordable cabins sold out two years in advance.

Well done, I love hearing that people can take advantage of the global market as so often it works against us..

We used one TA for our US vacations, they were very good in honouring price drops but eventually our AUD was dropping too fast and locking in the price was getting too expensive as any price drops were eroded in the exchange.

Yes all fee's taken into consideration that is final price. I know that obviously currency fluctuation can errode potential savings but even if it was $1k saved savings after exchange it would be absolutely worth it, I don't need to give them extra money for the same product just because I am an Aussie not US citizen but I guess that's a whole other debate :D

I would love to have the name of your US travel agent are we allowed to put email address on here??

Yes all fee's taken into consideration that is final price. I know that obviously currency fluctuation can errode potential savings but even if it was $1k saved savings after exchange it would be absolutely worth it, I don't need to give them extra money for the same product just because I am an Aussie not US citizen but I guess that's a whole other debate :D

Go for it then, sounds like a great deal.

I will also start putting some USD onto my global travel card and this should hopefully hedge some of the fluctuations

MMhh great idea,i remember a convo a while back when,it was being said that the AUD would drop to .60,and I predicted that the AUD would crash through .80 and then settle at about 76.Mmmmh well we got to .772 at one stage,and now at .76.May be prudent to load travel card at that.If the Trumpster gets over the line the AUD will skyrocket,ill stand by that.So I suppose I'm hedging,and will be happy at the .76.Cant see us going under .72

Have a Freakin great day everyone.:):)

Edited by mrs and mrs

OP, how were you able to access the RC US site from here - for me it automatically defaults to the AU site and gives pricing in A$, even for 'US' cruises?

Also how did you get around the need to have a US address, or least show a state?

I wondered this as I recalled, I thought, some previous discussions about the possibility of being denied boarding for not having a US address. I thought I must have imagined this, but now found this in this link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/articles.cfm?ID=1119

I know people here who have booked thru a US TA, and have read of people having used a friend's US address, but I personally would be quite careful in all this.

if anyone has been able to book online via the US site??

I have, although it was a couple of years back, so can't remember the specifics used. Their booking engine has also changed in that time so it's possible that that part may not work the same as then either.

Probably not much help but can say it at least used to be possible.

OP, how were you able to access the RC US site from here - for me it automatically defaults to the AU site and gives pricing in A$, even for 'US' cruises?

Also how did you get around the need to have a US address, or least show a state?

You will need to do it on the computer not mobile device but on the home page you can scroll down to the bottom of the page and change region to US and then you will see the US site

Yes the address part is where it breaks down although T/A must have some work arounds

You will need to do it on the computer not mobile device but on the home page you can scroll down to the bottom of the page and change region to US and then you will see the US site

Yes the address part is where it breaks down although T/A must have some work arounds

Definitely the case, the one that I have used is no good for Princess or P&O though.

Met a lady on a cruise who said that when she had to put in a US zip code she used 90210 because she remembered it from the TV series Beverly Hills 90210 :D

I have probably booked 6-8 of our cruises through a few different big USA TA websites.

My first advice is go for it but don't book through RCL US use a TA as you will get OBC and they will also maybe pay your grats. Our current Radiance 10 night Dec 16th cruise is booked through a US TA and it has never came down to the same price locally plus we have had a grats paid and extra OBC given to us by the agent.

Secondly I have paid up front to lock in rates when I wanted to insure against drops in the AUD. Also not that you can cancel the cruise no penalty (except for 1 big US TA that charges $50 pp but they normally offer some of the best perks) so if the price drops in AUS then you can cancel the one booked in the USA and rebook locally as long as it is before final payment (about 75-90 days out).

No problem booking RCL or Celebrity without a USA address.

Edited by woodyren