Alaska Cruise - Train from Anchorage to Seward

birdyhunter

We're booked on Mellium next year and we're considering taking the train from Anchorage to Seward. Our first cruise on Celebrity.

Can anyone tell me when you have to be at the train station in Anchorage? I spoke with Celebrity and they said we had to be at the convention center in Anchorage at 11 am. I've seen some posts where it was stated that they had to be at the train station by 6 am.

Thanks

The train from Anchorage to Seward leaves Anchorage at 6:45 am and I think the 6:00 am is the correct time. Perhaps Celebrity was referring to the coach transportation to Seward which is why you might need to be at the Convention Center. Here's the link for the train.

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/

What cruise are you on? We are cruising August 25 next year and plan to spend a few days in Anchorage and Seward pre cruise.

rent a car...it's a wonderful and scenic drive with many stopping points and areas of interest. Our foursome left Anchorage at 6am and arrived in Seward at 1...the sites were beautiful. There was a one way dropoff at the cruise port.

If you book the train independently/directly through the Alaska Railroad, the train departs at 6:45 AM. If you book through Celebrity, they use the Alaska Railroad train, but it's chartered just for Celebrity and leaves at a different time. You save money booking directly through the Alaska Railroad, arrive at 11:15 AM, and Celebrity will still pick you up right from the train and transport you and your luggage to the ship. It's super easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We rented a car and drove and saw interesting things on the way.

There are lots of "driving tours' you can google and print which one interests you. Google Anchorage to Seward drive.

We stopped at Potter Marsh Bird Sanctuary with boardwalk trails where we saw eagles and several birds.

We made several stops along the way and got to Seward around dinner time. We stayed at a hotel where we also explored Seward. It is light there till almost midnight.

Kenai Fjords Tours and Major Marine have several boat excursions ranging from a few hours till all day.

We cruised HAL and they did not begin boarding till mid afternoon. I think that is typical there to allow everyone coming from Anchorage.

You have to be real careful here is there is two different trains when a ship is in Seward.

The Alaska Railroad train, the Coastal Classic) leaves from the Alaska Railroad downtown station at 6:45 am and arrives into Seward at 11:05 am. This train runs everyday during the summer

The scenery is breathtaking and better than driving it.. If budget is not an issue, upgrade to the Goldstar service with included meals and beverage along with an outside viewing platform. This also allows you to take a Resurrection Bay cruise before you board the cruise ship.

Now, Celebrity may also be offering also has a charter train that leaves Seward around 7:00 am and arrives into Anchorage around 11ish and departs back to Seward for arrival around 5 pm. This train only runs when a ship docked and, I believe, only bookable through the cruise line.

Make sure you know what train you are looking at because there are two different trains when a ship docks in Seward.

Edited by ken4556

rent a car...it's a wonderful and scenic drive with many stopping points and areas of interest. Our foursome left Anchorage at 6am and arrived in Seward at 1...the sites were beautiful. There was a one way dropoff at the cruise port.

That is an interesting alternative to the train. We did the train and had breakfast on the train, but a car is nice too. There are many areas you can stop and get great views.

Thanks and will have to keep this in mind.

We're booked on Mellium next year and we're considering taking the train from Anchorage to Seward. Our first cruise on Celebrity.

Can anyone tell me when you have to be at the train station in Anchorage? I spoke with Celebrity and they said we had to be at the convention center in Anchorage at 11 am. I've seen some posts where it was stated that they had to be at the train station by 6 am.

Thanks

On board Millennium now. We booked the 6:45am train directly, Gold Star service. On arrival at the station, a quick check in, a latte from the coffee vendor, a little wait... No worries about luggage as a Celebrity guy spotted our luggage tags on the way in, took the suitcases, loaded them on a truck for delivery to the ship.

Once on the train, a great ride. Gold Star gives you a seat in the upper deck, domed car, clean windows. Breakfast, two adult beverages , great scenery, commentary from the railroads tour guide... The train slowed to provide better viewing opportunities for Dall sheep, eagles, moose, etc.

I generally prefer to drive, to have the option to stop and view and take pictures. But this was a good trip! No traffic worries, no concerns about getting to Seward at a particular time...

Stan

6.45 is correct departure time for train and it's a wonderful ride and nothing to compare with a car drive (we've done both)

I too have done train and car trips and I would disagree, With very minor exceptions, any car trip is way better than any train trip. The one way rental from Anchorage to Seward would be sort of expensive although I have no idea what the train trip costs but the drive is one of the most glorious drives in the country and there are great places to stop along the way.

I took the train from Anchorage to Denali and after it I decided never to take a train trip to anywhere ever again. We took the Ghan from Darwin to Adelaide only because my wife did not want to make the 1800 mile drive. Not as horrible as the Anchorage to Denali run but I still would have preferred to drive.

BTW - in case you are ever thinking about driving from Darwin to Adelade, these are the total driving directions from Google Maps - hard to get lost - LOL.

Take Tiger Brennan Dr to National Highway 1 in Coonawarra

10 min (6.0 mi)

Continue on National Highway 1. Take National Highway 87 and National Highway A87 to Main N Rd in Adelaide

33 h (1,873 mi)

Take King William Rd to Victoria Square in Adelaide

10 min (2.2 mi)

Different strokes for different folks but count my vote for the car trip option.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

What are the ticket prices if I booked direct with Alaska RR?

Goldstar?l

Standard?

Thanks

My friend and I do this train ride every year, and we actually prefer their standard cars, called Adventure Class. They're about half the price of Gold Star, have wider seats, wayyyy more legroom, and still have outdoor viewing areas. Sure, we have to buy breakfast, but there's a dining car, and breakfast is about $15, complete with big picture windows for viewing. Adventure Class one way to Seward is about $150 pp.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We're booked on the Aug 26th through Celebrity. The Celebrity train meets at 11 am and the train actually leaves closer to 1 arriving at Seward around 6 pm. Sail away is 8 pm so if you want to spend more time in Seward or on board on day 1 I would suggest going independent. I have a group of late sleepers so we went for the Celebrity 11 am.

Either way I have heard the train is amazing and well worth it. We'll see in 11 days!