Norwegian jewel leaving LA to Mexico . Where to stay pre cruise?

cisco 09

Hi everyone . We're booked on the Jewel leaving LA on 23rd October. We will be flying into LAX from Las Vegas and will only have an overnight stay before embarking. Our TA has booked us into the Maya in Long Beach but I'm wondering if we would be better staying in San Pedro itself. Possibly in a hotel with a free shuttle to the dock ? Would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Hi everyone . We're booked on the Jewel leaving LA on 23rd October. We will be flying into LAX from Las Vegas and will only have an overnight stay before embarking. Our TA has booked us into the Maya in Long Beach but I'm wondering if we would be better staying in San Pedro itself. Possibly in a hotel with a free shuttle to the dock ? Would appreciate any help. Thank you.

We have twice stayed at Best Western Plus in San Pedro. They are only a few blocks from the cruise port and do have a free shuttle (you can see your ship from the hotel if it isn't foggy). We use Prime Time Shuttle from LAX to the hotel. The hotel is fine and staff are very nice. Cruise guests are a big part of their business. Be aware San Pedro is a working class community and always has been. There are a few food locations up and down the street from the hotel. However, San Pedro is and always has been a community with some teen gang activity also. So I would not recommend walking around there after dark.

Crown Plaza San Pedro.

This +1

With just 2 of us flying in late from East Coast, we got a great deal (rates was practically a steal) on hotwire - Prime Shuttled LAX (shared van) to the hotel after midnight - took about 1 hour as we're stop #3 - promptly checked in & got upgraded to Club level. Slept late, continental breakfast in morning & took complimentary hotel shuttle over to pier for embarkation - supposed to be able to watch ships coming in high above from hotel windows in the early morning hours.

Post-cruise, a quick taxi ride to nearby Hertz LE (cab fare partially by HZ) to pickup our rental car, upgraded to a new Mazda 5 with about 200 odo miles for OW trip to Sin City, stopping in Orange County first for lunch.

Definitely checkout the West Coast forum for the most current

Crowne Plaza.

Couple of good restaurants and bars close by. The pier is super close. Two or three blocks, could walk there if you wanted, but they have a free shuttle.

Best Western is in a bit of a sketchy area. Would not recommend.

Double Tree is the other option, but it's further away from the pier and not much around it. Nice views of the marina, though.

The Best Western did some remodeling a while back and we have stayed there in the past. They have a great Park & Cruise package.

I agree the area is not the best but unless you will be walking around late at night I would worry.

They offer a free shuttle to the cruise terminal and if you let them know you are cruising they will try and get you a room overlooking the harbor.

Thanks everyone. After reading all your advice (and reviews) we have changed our booking to the Best Western. Much more sensible option than Long Beach When I told hubby USS Iowa was in port he is determined to fit in a visit. Think he's more excited about that than the cruise!!

We stayed at the Best Western Plus in April for our cruise. If you tell them you are flying in, and if you have an early flight (we were at the hotel by 11 AM), they will do their best to have your room ready when you arrive. We were able to check in as soon as we got there. The staff was very accommodating. We ordered pizza delivered to our room from one of the pizza places in the area for dinner since we didn't want to walk at night. The pizza was good and reasonable! The free breakfast was also good!

~Joanne

We stayed at the Best Western Plus in April for our cruise. If you tell them you are flying in, and if you have an early flight (we were at the hotel by 11 AM), they will do their best to have your room ready when you arrive. We were able to check in as soon as we got there. The staff was very accommodating. We ordered pizza delivered to our room from one of the pizza places in the area for dinner since we didn't want to walk at night. The pizza was good and reasonable! The free breakfast was also good!

~Joanne

Agree. We were there by noon and they got us a room right away. Be sure to sign up for a shuttle time as soon as you arrive.

Here is the Iowa as we sailed by her on the Jewel in March.

Edited by roger001

Have done it 3 or 4 times: I would suggest one of two places: The Embassy suites at LAX and take a shuttle to the port. It might be a little pricey but the Embassy suites does have both a hot made to order breakfast and a managers cocktail hour with appetizers each night. The other options is the Crown Plaza in San Pedro; a nice hotel, but you will still have to pay for your transfers from the airport to the hotel. To be honest those are the only 2 places I would consider.

We stayed at the Best Western Plus in April for our cruise. [..] We ordered pizza delivered to our room from one of the pizza places in the area for dinner since we didn't want to walk at night.

I can't imagine why anyone would choose to stay in a hotel where they didn't feel comfortable walking at night when a better alternative is readily available.

The Crowne Plaza is in a far better location, both in terms neighborhood location and it being across the street from the USS Iowa.

Currently, the Crowe Plaza is booking a few dollars cheaper than the BW on 10/23.

Thanks everyone. After reading all your advice (and reviews) we have changed our booking to the Best Western.

Good luck... enjoy the hood. Double check those door locks... By the way, the Yelp reviews for the CP aren't very accurate...in my experience anyway. The CP is a fine hotel, and far superior to the BW in many ways. You should reconsider.

Edited by triptolemus

Thanks for your concern but I think we're fine. I consulted various review sites (not Yelp) and I appreciate everyone has their favourites. As for staying in the "hood" before we discovered cruising we did many long USA road trips and covered lots of the states. Heck we've even watched the Raiders and stayed in Oakland lol

I can't imagine why anyone would choose to stay in a hotel where they didn't feel comfortable walking at night when a better alternative is readily available.

The Crowne Plaza is in a far better location, both in terms neighborhood location and it being across the street from the USS Iowa.

Currently, the Crowe Plaza is booking a few dollars cheaper than the BW on 10/23.

Good luck... enjoy the hood. Double check those door locks... By the way, the Yelp reviews for the CP aren't very accurate...in my experience anyway. The CP is a fine hotel, and far superior to the BW in many ways. You should reconsider.

Agree on all points!.

Hi-I guess we are literally on the same boat! I'm cruising on 10/23 on the Jewel and staying at the BW Plus in San Pedro. I'm sure we'll be fine!

Yes. You will be. The hotel guests will be almost all cruise guests. It's just a working class area and the hotel is on a busy street. The merchants up and down the street are very nice. I've felt less safe strolling the streets of Seattle.