Food Not to Miss in Italy

SandySetsSail

Giolitti was my favorite gelato place in Rome. You can even get it topped with a little cream if you like. Sant' Eustachio had my favorite cappuccino and chocolate covered espresso beans. I'll be visiting both next week.

As for bruschetta pronunciation, the hard "k" is correct for ch in Italian. I can't stand it when people say broos-CHet-ta. It's just like you don't say CHE-anti when you order a glass Chianti.

1. On the Gelato. My favorite is Gelateria Artigianale Corona. A little hole-in-the-wall spot in Lago Argentina across from the cat sanctuary. Great lemon-basil gelato (NOT sorbetto) and some other nice esoteric flavors. Price point is non-touristy, too ;) Some like Carapina, over in Campo di Fiore, down the alley from Emma Pizzeria and Roscioli. It is also a very small hole-in-the-wall and has a sister shop in Florence. It was OK, but didn't give me a "wow" factor when I dove into the gelato.

2.1. If you are doing the Vatican Museums, head down the hill toward the Cipro Metro stop. Across the street from the station is a remarkable pizza/arancini/suppli place called Pizzarium. Run by Bonci, arguably the best pizza guy in Rome. Pizza al taglio in some really esoteric combinations in addition to the usual. The types of pizza change as the day goes on. Always a line, even though he has doubled the size of the place in the past 3 years. You gotta stand to eat and there are only a couple of "bar tables" to share.

2.2 If you are wandering around The Pantheon area, there is a little "deli" called, Antico something - I know Cruisemom42 has listed the right name on this forum before. Really good panini and a selection of pastries.

2.3 If over in the Campo di Fiore area, hit up Antico Forno Roscioli. More pizza al taglio. The Roscioli family provide most of the bread product for Rome's best restaurants. They've got some yummy pastries there, too - if you have just the port day, pick up some to take back to the ship!!! And, you can go get that gelato at Carapina just down the walkway ;)

2.4 If you want pasta, I would order that Amatriciana - red sauce with guanciale (pig cheek, although some substitute pancetta). LOVE it. Cacio e pepe (cheese & pepper) is another traditional pasta service. Looks easy, but it is so easy to mess up and get gooey. If you are there on a Thursday, you have to go with the gnocchi - lovely fluffy pillows of flour and potato dough. Even better if it comes in Gorgonzola sauce...

2.5 Appetizers (or little plates): bruschetta is good. If you have a place that has artichokes in season, go for them. Arancini (rice balls) and supli (rice "torpedoes" with sauce and cheese inside) are good munchies.

2.6. Miscellany: espresso e un cornetto (espresso and a "cornetto", the Italian version of a croissant) for your breakfast starter. If you are at The Pantheon, go over to Tazzo d' Oro and get an espresso or coffee granita WITH whip cream. Oh my, what a treat on a hot day!!! Cafe Sant Eustachio has granita also, but their offering is too much on the sweet side for me.

I could go on, but...

For a knowledgeable (but highly opinionated) list of some of the best gelateria in Rome, read this: http://www.revealedrome.com/2013/04/best-gelato-in-rome.html

I have to agree with the author about Giolitti; it's never been a favorite of mine. I really REALLY liked the gelato at Gelateria del Teatro; I find it hard to believe it has gone so downhill in the year since I last tried it....

Capri is somewhat famous for a delicious pasta dish with a delicate lemon sauce. Try it if you can find it. Also look for the Lemon Caprese cake (or torte).

Venice is all about the sea. Dishes like pasta with squid ink, baccala (cod), and sardines are all very popular. Rice is more common than pasta here, so look for risotto or the popular local "Risi e Bisi" (rice and peas -- better than it sounds.)

I like to linger on the outskirts, watching the cats wander around the ancient ruins. Then, I do head over to the Cat Shop area and make a donation. There are somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 or so cats in the sanctuary.

Besides the Gelateria, there is a really cool store there. Lots of little office supplies, fun pens, pencils, magnets, kitchen stuff... I ended up buying a knit cover for my iPad, some pens, a sinkside toothbrush holder, some magnets (one is a zebra's butt!!). I could have bought so much more, but I had to worry about packing it all and then being over my duty free allowance (I was also shopping in Florence!) ;)

Another gelato place - Grom. OK if you have gluten or nut issues. They have some good choices for those restrictions. I went there with my BFF, who has celiac disease. Otherwise, I was not impressed by it, either in Rome or at the Mothership Florence store.

More food/restaurant info. I highly recommend taking a look at katie parla and her website of the same name. Right now, she has a list of restaurants open in August, typically when many close for vacation. I trust katie - I had some good email "chats" with her prior to some trips and she never steered me wrong on where to eat as a solo woman. I always do at least one place recommended by her on my trips.

Trattoria alla Madonna in Venice is something of an institution

http://www.ristoranteallamadonna.com

I have a great little book I carry in Italy called trattoria of Rome Venice Florence. It's never steered us wrong yet. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trattorias-Rome-Florence-Venice-Maureen/dp/0060956879

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you are in Rome post stay, consider a foodie tour. We try to do them in the various places we visit - great was to taste several different types of local food and see the city. We did one in Rome a few years ago with Food Tours of Rome, and it was one of the best foodie tours we have ever done. It was a four hour evening tour that took us to several places in the city. The food stops were terrific - so much food for what are typically "tastings." It turned out to be so much more than food focused, as the guides were great and we really got a pretty good city tour out of it, too. That aspect worked particularly well as we were traveling with friends who had never been to Rome, so we were able to cover a lot of ground! I'd go do it again in a heartbeat!

Another couple thoughts --

We tend to avoid places with pictures on the menus, especially those that are on main streets. Go off the beaten path and look for little places on side streets. In Venice, the restaurants along the Grand Canal, especially as you get closer to the Rialto, tend to be more touristy. The food isn't bad (it's Italy), but you'll find better if you venture off the main arteries.

Another couple thoughts --

We tend to avoid places with pictures on the menus, especially those that are on main streets. Go off the beaten path and look for little places on side streets. In Venice, the restaurants along the Grand Canal, especially as you get closer to the Rialto, tend to be more touristy. The food isn't bad (it's Italy), but you'll find better if you venture off the main arteries.

Wonderful suggestions! I think I will definitely book a walking food tour in Rome.

We pass on the places that have menus in five languages or worse..pictures. We avoid places where all we can hear are English speakers or are obviously frequented only by tourists.

We go a few blocks off the beaten path and look for a small,local trattoria.

We order the house red and then try to understand the menu or the server. If all else fails we order and hope for the best. We often split meals do that we get to try more. We have done six or seven trips around Italy. So far, this crazy method has worked very well for us. As it has in a few other countries.

Edited by iancal

Will be stopping at several Italian ports on an upcoming cruise. What food and/or restaurants should not be missed in Venice, Capri, and Rome? Also, where's the best place for gelato in Rome during our post-cruise stay?

In Rome we had gelato at Giolitti, Fatamorgana and Frigidarium (which was our favorite). Best meal we had was at Armando al Pantheon.

We pass on the places that have menus in five languages or worse..pictures. We avoid places where all we can hear are English speakers or are obviously frequented only by tourists.

We go a few blocks off the beaten path and look for a small,local trattoria.

We order the house red and then try to understand the menu or the server. If all else fails we order and hope for the best. We often split meals do that we get to try more. We have done six or seven trips around Italy. So far, this crazy method has worked very well for us. As it has in a few other countries.

This works for us as well. I can read enough in Italian and French (I minored in Spanish in college) to be able to point to a menu item and say "please" in whatever language is needed. Some years ago we visited a cafe in Chartres, France and a couple of tourists from San Diego were very annoyed that the wait staff didn't speak English. Hello?:confused: Edited by nybumpkin

I recommend a great little restaurant in Rome that my friend Fabrizio took me to a few years ago, Trattoria Bella Napoli. It is just north of the Vatican, great food, mostly locals, off the beaten path, very reasonable prices. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187791-d1237195-Reviews-Bella_Napoli-Rome_Lazio.html

This works for us as well. I can read enough in Italian and French (I minored in Spanish in college) to be able to point to a menu item and say "please" in whatever language is needed. Some years ago we visited a cafe in Chartres, France and a couple of tourists from San Diego were very annoyed that the wait staff didn't speak English. Hello?:confused:

I am able to figure out menus pretty well in Italian now. Sometimes I do have an ordering "hiccup" and get something unexpected, but I never had something bad because of it. Part of the excitement of world travel! (ordered the "vegetarian" - ohne fleisch) mac & cheese in a restaurant in Altenberg Germany and ended up with mac & cheese with peas and HAM (I guess pig was not considered meat since it wasn't beef or venison).

I had the unfortunate American tourist couple at a table next to me at my favorite Rome restaurant. Hubby had on a T-shirt from Yellowstone :roll eyes: with his cargo pants for his evening dinner attire. Every time the server left their table, they'd start whining about stuff - the menu, the side salad wasn't "what we get in Idaho", why didn't they have "Italian food" (hubby wanted spaghetti & sausage)...

With Google Translate on a smartphone, anyone can go into a restaurant and figure out those strange food offerings ;)

Edited by slidergirl

My husband is actually Italian born but he finds the pasta in Italy too al dente for his taste. So he asks for it more cooked. Sometimes they say that that is ok as that is how some of the old people like it! Sometimes they comment that they know it is served the more old fashioned way in the English speaking countries. Sometimes they ignore his request and out comes the spaghetti holding its shape. I quite enjoy this circus!

Can't say we were impressed with the food in Venice but we are only moderate fans of seafood. I am not a sweet tooth so I find pretty well all Italian cakes, desserts and even gelato too sweet but I really love the antipasta plates of cheese and salami etc.

Love arancini but I am not sure if you can get them out of Sicily (even though they are common in London, New York and Sydney!)