Covered pools

Floflegs

I think Princess is missing out by not have at least one covered pool on all their ships. know the Grand has one but most don't. Now the weather all over is unreliable a covered pool would be most welcome when it is cool or wet.

I think Princess is missing out by not have at least one covered pool on all their ships. know the Grand has one but most don't. Now the weather all over is unreliable a covered pool would be most welcome when it is cool or wet.

Seems they have decided MUTS is more important then a covered pool. :cool:

The weather is no more unpredictable than any other time. It is just that human memory is short and frail.

Holland America has covered pools on every ship, I know, except Prisendam (I think). The newest ship, Koningsdam, has a covered pool, and MUTS.

Edited by CruiserBruce

They have one on the Coral and I enjoyed using it. Having said, that, I agree that covered pool areas are desirable. My last cruise there was a massive covered pool area and I spent all my time there, just loving it. (Anthem of the seas). Wish Princess had something comparable. I don't do well in direct sunlight. And I really can't stand MUTS, it's too loud. Aren't we done with that already anyway?

How heated is the enclosed area? I am asking as I am going on an Alaska cruise on the Star next year. Can you actually hang out in your bathing suit comfortably?
It depends. I've taken several cold weather cruises and the way the staff manage the doors makes a big difference.

On the Golden, all the doors, including the automatic doors going directly from the open pool area to the covered pool, were allowed to open. With people constantly coming and going, these big doors were open pretty much all the time. It was so cold in the covered pool area that you couldn't sit there much less use the pool.

On the Diamond, the doors to the open pool were locked and the only way to/from the covered and open pools was through the center elevator area. The covered pool area stayed reasonably warm and was comfortable for sitting or using the loungers. This made a huge difference to how crowded the buffet was. On the Golden, people camped out all day at tables and it was impossible to find one. Being able to use the covered pool area on the Diamond meant far less crowding inside the ship.

That would be great........

The problem is Princess almost never uses the roof.

They pretty much stay closed. :(

A rare sighting of the Calypso Pool with the roof open! It was open when we boarded the Star Princess in San Pedro. Then it was closed for the entire 15 day Hawaii cruise:

13826860405_574e19e047_z.jpg

13827306014_d5100a14dc_z.jpg

13826868885_1a40d28d97_z.jpg[/url

I enjoy the atrium pools, especially when the weather is rainy or cool on sea days. I don't understand why Princess is not putting them on their new ships. We sometimes sail on Celebrity and all their new ships have them. I prefer the older Princess ships with the atrium pools.

Arlene

I tend to avoid the ships without the covered pool because I know how useful the pool can be on a rainy day at sea as it makes the ship less crowded having an outdoor area that is covered and offers more seating for the Horizon Court that is not in the wind or miserable wet conditions. Not all cruises go to bright sunny areas at sea.

I think it was foolish to put movies under the stars in place of the sliding glass roof. As we have seen with ships like the Golden, Star, Diamond and Sapphire Princess the movie screen can easily be at the pool more forward of the covered pools and it can easily accommodate all passengers that desire to watch a movie. I cannot understand why Princess got rid of the covered pools when a more intelligent option existed that they did with the ships that do have the covered pools.

They will regret it one day and hopefully return to including the covered pool. I know the covered pool was almost essential on P&O ships that do world cruises and have up to 6 straight days at sea.