See What's Changed! Carnival Cruise from 1994, Capers and TV ads too!

Manatee Mom

This one's for any Carnival history buffs or anyone interested in seeing what's changed with Cruising Carnival over the years.

To celebrate 25 cruises on Carnival, my DH dug up video, all the carnival capers, pictures and more from our 1994 first Carnival cruise on the M/S Holiday and worked his magic editing it together for a cool look back in history. He even found the old ads with Kathy Lee Gifford (you know the "if you can see me now..." ones!)

Anyway, check out his YouTube video

to see what it was like to cruise on Carnival back when the drinking age was 18 onboard, there was actually a midnight buffet (video included) and you could visit the bridge and the galley without having to pay $100!

Enjoy and if you have any questions from someone who has cruised on Carnival since 1994, let me know.....

• Like 3

That was so great! It made me remember our first cruise in 1984 on the Festivale! We also took the free bridge tour. Hubby had to wear a coat and tie in the dining room every night. We paid cash for drinks, about $1 each and went to the Captains reception where drinks and h'dourves were free and each person shook hands with the Captain and had a picture taken.

Didn't have a clue what we would do on the islands we were going to, met a Carnival rep in a dining room and signed up for various trips. For sure remember the Midnight Buffet!

Fun times!

• Like 1

That was so great! It made me remember our first cruise in 1984 on the Festivale! We also took the free bridge tour. Hubby had to wear a coat and tie in the dining room every night. We paid cash for drinks, about $1 each and went to the Captains reception where drinks and h'dourves were free and each person shook hands with the Captain and had a picture taken.

Didn't have a clue what we would do on the islands we were going to, met a Carnival rep in a dining room and signed up for various trips. For sure remember the Midnight Buffet!

Fun times!

WoW! Wecamp... you filled me in on things that I never saw either. You win the prize so far for the farthest back on Carnival :-).

Hope to see and hear more from others about experiences back years ago.

My dad would have LOVED the trap shooting ( I may never get him to go with me on a cruise..got to enjoy our special outside places and day drives)...wonderful fun!!! Thank you...I LOVE this especially since now at 56...I am a newer antique myself..lol....

My dad would have LOVED the trap shooting ( I may never get him to go with me on a cruise..got to enjoy our special outside places and day drives)...wonderful fun!!! Thank you...I LOVE this especially since now at 56...I am a newer antique myself..lol....

Antique.. please don't say that... I am 60... not ready to be an antique yet:D

lol That was awesome.. I was only in 5th grade in 1994 but my aunts and cousins would cruise. I was so jealous that they got to go buy their gowns for elegant night. I always said "Someday I will get an elegant dress and cruise.."

Now, elegant night is not so elegant haha But for my upcoming Pride cruise, my BF and I have decided we're going ALL out elegant..we'll stick out like sore thumbs but we don't care :)

Thank you so much for posting this. We were on the Holiday May 14, the week before you so this brought back some great memories. We had cruised twice on the Mardi Gras before this so we thought we were really in luxury on the Holiday. You didn't mention the topless deck!

Anyway, check out his YouTube video

Awesome!

Somebody had a lot more hair back in the day and was quite the handsome young man. (but you already knew that)

Funny to see that he is still using some of the same funny bits all these years later. (Alaska vs. Iowa) :D

One of the things I caught was that the Bingo payouts seem just as big (or bigger) than today but the buy-ins were a lot less.

Antique.. please don't say that... I am 60... not ready to be an antique yet:D

LOL...we won't tell my young nieces and nephews...that "20 years" counts...lol:D...thanks for comment...

A good girlfriend not living close now was getting into the "Business" around then...and it was so much fun to hear about all of the ships then as they came out until around 2007 when I moved..thank heavens for here...thanks so much OP!!

Edited by sjn911

That was awesome! Our first cruise was the maiden year of the Royal's Nordic Empress in 1990 and so much was similar. We were such cruising babies! Booked late an inside guarantee and ended up on the 10th floor with a outside! Couldn't stop hugging each other while jumping around!:D 19 cruises later, 14 on CCL have loved the changes and still love cruising. Really enjoyed the song, actually!