NCL's 18% 'suggested' gratuity charge

gary222

actually I was quite curious as to know to know why somebody would decide to pay more than is actually necessary, normal or expected.
Forget your hypothetical Rome example and get back to your original question about bar tips on board. Nobody is asking you to pay more than is actually necessary, normal or expected. The 18% auto-tip is precisely the necessary, normal and expected amount.

Again, you can complain to them about the words they use to describe this charge in their marketing materials, but this is the reality on board (as far as anyone on this thread knows). And no one on board is responsible for NCL's websites or brochures, so they are not the ones to go complaining to.

Is deciding to pay a 20-25% tip in Rome when 5% maximum would be normal, analogous with deciding to pay a suggested 18% gratuity by cash rather than the automatic On-Board gratuity tipping system?
Obviously not. Anyway, you have made it quite clear from the start of this thread that your intention is to pay less than the suggested 18% ("Why would you for example pay a 18% gratuity to a barmen who just serves you a beer?") so no one is going to believe you now if you claim that you want to remove the auto-tip simply in order to leave the same amount in cash. Edited by hawkeyetlse

I think my point there is that because some people are saying that its an American Cruise Line you conform to the American tipping culture and then Deladypilot is saying a tip of 20-25% is normal irrespective of which country he is? So he's following American tipping culture because he's American not because of the culture or the place he's in - and actually I was quite curious as to know to know why somebody would decide to pay more than is actually necessary, normal or expected.

The other point is I just wanted to find out how easy or practical it is to remove or not add the 18% suggested gratuity which is not the same as not tipping and whether to pay 18% is too little or too much and thats another issue.

same issue

you want to know why he is following American culture in another country

and then you are wondering if you should follow American culture (NOT removing the gratuity) on an American ship

Rome culture is not to tip or tip very little... people should follow Rome culture in Rome

Cruise ship culture is to leave the auto gratuity for drinks alone and people should follow the cruise ship culture on cruise ships

gary222....I think there's been plenty of experiences that's been shared here. It comes down to semantics. Gratuity, fee, service charge....the charge is the same regardless of what it's called.

My suggestion? Go on your cruise. Ask to have the 18% removed on each drink. And, have the proverbial conversation with a manager each time (after a lengthy wait), asking if there was something wrong with your service so they can correct it. All the while, the server/bartender is chastised by management for not providing good service which prompted you to request the charge being removed. Then supposedly giving them cash, which won't be worth the hassle they had to go through to get the cash.

Come back and let us know how that worked out. Personally, I'd love to hear how the experience would be by doing that.

Gratuity, Charge, Service charge, VAT is not the same at all.

Why would there need to be an conversation about it? The customer decides to pay in cash or not at all. No discussion needed.

What a sad state of affairs if the management chastises the bar tender doe not giving good service. I mean how on earth can you give bad service just by opening the top off a beer?

But the request for the omission of the charge would be made before its rung into the till - which the bartender would explain to management in which case the subsequent following conversation regarding any failure in service quality would not happen.

Why wouldn't they get the cash straight away - fail to see how that could be more hassle.

Forget your hypothetical Rome example and get back to your original question about bar tips on board. Nobody is asking you to pay more than is actually necessary, normal or expected. The 18% auto-tip is precisely the necessary, normal and expected amount.

Is 'necessary' analogous with 'suggested'?

Anyway, you have made it quite clear from the start of this thread that your intention is to pay less than the suggested 18% ("Why would you for example pay a 18% gratuity to a barmen who just serves you a beer?") so no one is going to believe you now if you claim that you want to remove the auto-tip simply in order to leave the same amount in cash.

Im not sure I indicated I was particulary interested in knowing whether people believed i wanted to pay less or more than the 18% suggested gratuity.

same issue

you want to know why he is following American culture in another country

and then you are wondering if you should follow American culture (NOT removing the gratuity) on an American ship

Rome culture is not to tip or tip very little... people should follow Rome culture in Rome

Surely people should do what they feel like doing - as long as they're not breaking any rules? Isn't NCL's mantra 'FREE to do what you want'?

So it's is a case of 'must' conform or 'should'?

Would it be considered 'bad form' or breaking unwritten ships rules by deciding not to conform to these customs by deciding to request the 18% taken off and pay in cash what you feel is right?

Would the server or waiter not be be more appreciative of the fact you're paying in cash and it all goes to them or would it not make any difference as it must be pooled and failure to do so would be a sackable offence?

You have confused the Service Charge, which is billed per day and takes care of various staff members, not to include bartenders and cocktail servers who are paid with the 18% added to the drink price.

Is deciding to pay a 20-25% tip in Rome when 5% maximum would be normal, analogous with deciding to pay a suggested 18% gratuity by cash rather than the automatic On-Board gratuity tipping system?

Surely its just the same as when paying in any establishment for your meal with Credit Card and then the tip in cash?

No no no.

It's like the old adage: " when in Rome, pay your bills".

its not a problem for the customer if he wants to wait 15 to 20+ minutes every transaction

it wont get nasty. If the customer complains, they will apologize and at most probably send them some strawberries to the room... but the bartenders wont change because they don't want to wait 15 to 20 minutes for each transaction so they customer will still have the problem. More than likely behind closed doors management will side with the bartender because they dont want the bartender tied up with one person for 20+ minutes. thats less sales for the cruise ship.

Im curious, you say you will do this to make sure the bartender gets the cash tip which you think they will prefer. if it looks like they wont prefer that, why do it? if its to save money (give 15% or 10% instead of 18%), then does it make sense to spend 15 to 20 minutes waiting every time to save what probably is less that .25 each time?

just seems pointless to me. Why go through this even if you do have the option and the right?

Where does this 20+ minutes come from?

Edited by gary222

No no no.

It's like the old adage: " when in Rome, pay your bills".

Why is it 'no, no no'?

Where the rule from NCL that you can't remove the auto-gratuity and instead pay in cash?

Edited by gary222

Wouldn't dream of asking the staff or employees those kind questions which is why I'm asking those questions here on this forum...

Perhaps you didn't experience the tiredness or apparent unhappiness of various staff - or perhaps you didn't detect the lack of sincerity in their smiles or just general weariness and sense of being over-worked. i would hardly be the first one to comment on the fact that staff seemed weary and over-worked and perhaps would prefer to be somewhere else. Maybe you really thought the employees standing at the entrance to restaurants with the hand sanitisers saying, 'washy washy...' really were enjoying themselves or perhaps they really wanted to know how you were enjoying your holiday or where you'd been? Do you think they really care or are interested in the slightest?

Perhaps you just have difficult in understanding when someone is being sincere?

I've never noticed the staff being tired, over-worked, or insincere. I guess I'm just not as observant as you.

However, if I did and it troubled me so, I probably wouldn't want to over-work or over-stress them more by making silly requests of them.

If it bothered me so much I probably just wouldn't subject myself to seeing such misery and not cruise at all.

Image all the other customers who'll have to wait while the bartender and manager gets this sorted out. :o

well, obviously if there's any kind of wait involved in the process or requesting an auto-gratuity to be removed before a bill slip is produced resulting it irritation from other guests I won't be doing it.

The point of my post was to ascertain whether it would cause lots of difficulties and despite the numerous posts it doesn't seem to me that any answers have been particularly convincing - more based on speculation rather than actual experience - especially those that are informing me, that you can't do that, its just 'bad form' and against the American Culture of the Ship.

Because throwing in an extra buck a drink builds significant good will with the staff, resulting in service that elevates from "everything you'd expect" to "above and beyond". Because it's good karma. Because it's appreciated and I can afford it.

The server didn't put that space on your receipt, nor did they ask for it to be put there. If the server asked you for a tip, they are being unprofessional.

They do get their cut of the service charge, but always appreciate any extra the pax can throw their way.

I shouldn't have to 'build good will' - 18% gratuity is very generous for opening a beer, the 'good will' should be there automatically unless of course the customer doesnt deserve it. Are you implying that irrespective of the 18% the customers still needs to build the 'good will'?

I don't want 'service above and beyond' for pouring a glass or wine or handing me a beer. Just normal good service would suffice and is what the 18% should get you.

How does 'service above and beyond' relate to opening a bottle of wine for example or perhaps they will advise you not to order that 2008 Brunello Di Montalcino - and instead instead purchase the 2010 from the neighbouring vineyard which is half the price but regarded as being a better vintage?

is that service 'above and beyond'? But surely thats expected service? Or should that only be expected service from the sommelier in which case if its just from the lowly waiter then big tip no?

Good Karma eh? Surely its better karma to give cash for tips as is common in most places because you know it goes directly to the person you mean it to.

The extra tip line is on there because the register is programmed to print it that way and some customers find it easier to provide an extra tip that way rather than giving cash (I don't carry cash on board at all). And just to clarify the bar staff does not receive any portion of the service charges.

Wowzers, is that true?

The simple answer to your question is NO, the 18% gratuity is added to basically all drink and food purchases. If you want to remove that or debate it, you'd have to do it after the fact, not at the time of purchase.

So there would be no point or advantage to anyone in informing the server before the bill is produced or at the point of order of your intention?

Why would you need to do this after the fact?

Why would it be an issue of debate?

Wowzers, is that true?

What about Gratuities?

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 18% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 18% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 18% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining

https://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping