Allure - multi-port plug in charger allowed?

Hi there: I'm sailing on the Allure in September and I know that electrical extension cords are not allowed on the ship, but is something like the Belkin 3-Outlet SurgePlus Mini Travel Swivel Charger Surge Protector with Dual USB Ports (seen here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ATZJ5YS?ref_=ams_ad_dp_asin_3) allowed? We have a couple of phones, iPad etc. to plug in and this would be handy. But I don't want to get into trouble for bringing in a banned item!

Thanks in advance!

Hi there: I'm sailing on the Allure in September and I know that electrical extension cords are not allowed on the ship, but is something like the Belkin 3-Outlet SurgePlus Mini Travel Swivel Charger Surge Protector with Dual USB Ports (seen here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ATZJ5YS?ref_=ams_ad_dp_asin_3) allowed? We have a couple of phones, iPad etc. to plug in and this would be handy. But I don't want to get into trouble for bringing in a banned item!

Thanks in advance!

The Belkin, and any multi-USB port charger that combines with power outlets is sure protected, which is truly what is not allowed. However, any multi-USB charger that does not have power outlets, and only a two prong plug (the Belkin has a three prong plug) is not surge protected, despite claims by the manufacturer, and would be fine.

RC didn't start doing that until Quantum.

So now Quantum, Anthem, Ovation and Harmony have them.

I could be wrong but I thought I remembered them on Allure but not on Oasis.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RC didn't start doing that until Quantum.

So now Quantum, Anthem, Ovation and Harmony have them.

This is what I remember:

S22AB.JPG

For some reason I thought this had USB ports under that bottom plastic cover.

I thought Allure had USB charger ports by the bed. If a thre prong plug indicates it is surge protected, then that is what we have.

A three-prong plug does not for sure mean a device is surge protected.

However a two prong plug means it's either not surge protected, or if it is, it won't make trouble for the ship's floating ground.

A three-prong plug does not for sure mean a device is surge protected.

However a two prong plug means it's either not surge protected, or if it is, it won't make trouble for the ship's floating ground.

Bob, from what I've gleaned, painfully, from most manufacturers, is that what they call "surge protection" on a USB charger with a two prong plug is actually "voltage regulation", where the output of the charger is shut off when the input voltage is too high, not like a surge protector that dumps high voltage to ground.

And yes, a three prong plug on a device does not indicate that the device is surge protected, but that it might, and from my research, virtually all combination power/USB devices are surge protected.

Bob, from what I've gleaned, painfully, from most manufacturers, is that what they call "surge protection" on a USB charger with a two prong plug is actually "voltage regulation", where the output of the charger is shut off when the input voltage is too high, not like a surge protector that dumps high voltage to ground.

And yes, a three prong plug on a device does not indicate that the device is surge protected, but that it might, and from my research, virtually all combination power/USB devices are surge protected.

Thanks Chief.

I use the 1 Amp version from Amazon and it does not have the surge protection identification like the one the OP listed.

Funny thing, when I open the link you gave, it lists surge protection in the header (though I know this can be misleading on Amazon for these units), and it shows the "protected" LED. Further down is more mention of surge protection, and a listing of the joules of protection it provides, which definitely means it is surge protected. The only product that I know of that Belkin makes with a three prong plug that is not surge protected is one model of a power strip.

But then again, your link is to a 2.1 amp Belkin. I don't know if they make the 1 amp swivel charger any more.

Funny thing, when I open the link you gave, it lists surge protection in the header (though I know this can be misleading on Amazon for these units), and it shows the "protected" LED. Further down is more mention of surge protection, and a listing of the joules of protection it provides, which definitely means it is surge protected. The only product that I know of that Belkin makes with a three prong plug that is not surge protected is one model of a power strip.

But then again, your link is to a 2.1 amp Belkin. I don't know if they make the 1 amp swivel charger any more.

Bringing back another subject with regard to this Belkin unit.

I mentioned a while back I was going to take it apart and see if I could remove the surge protection. I found that all the compnents were integrated on the same multilayer circuit board and would not be easy to remove the surge parts and/or cut the appropriate traces. In other words, I'll just buy a different unit without surge protection.

I saw a brief mention above, but do check by the bed/under headboard for an outlet. I know Oasis had one and you could charge items bedside as well. Not sure if it had USB because I did not need it for that.

And I always thought the 3rd plug was a dedicated ground.

I saw a brief mention above, but do check by the bed/under headboard for an outlet. I know Oasis had one and you could charge items bedside as well. Not sure if it had USB because I did not need it for that.

And I always thought the 3rd plug was a dedicated ground.

Yes, the third prong is a dedicated ground, which is where the surge protector devices dump excessive voltages. However, the ground is not at the same potential as the neutral on a ship, unlike on shore, so the MOV in the surge protector circuit can see small reverse voltages which can prove fatal to the MOV, possibly causing a fire.