ATMs in Rome

SabreSailor

There are several kinds of withdrawal limits.

In Rome, I am pretty sure, the limit is 250 euro PER WITHDRAWAL, not per day. Unless it has changed... In other words, you can make multiple, 250 euro withdrawals. (Although you may have to either wait a few minutes or find a different machine.)

However, your own bank may have an imposed withdrawal amount PER DAY (24 hour period). You should check with them to find out what that limit is if you plan to make large withdrawals.

EDITED TO ADD: I just did a quick search and it appears that each individual bank sets their own limit in terms of what you can withdraw per day. Some people report getting more than 300 euro. Unfortunately, the ATM doesn't usually tell you what the limit is, you just have to try. If you pull the limit from one bank, you can still try another. ATMs are very plentiful in Rome.

Edited by cruisemom42

Our local Italian ATMs have a limit of €250, and I have assumed that limit is Italy-wide, but never researched it. DH and I each have a debit card on a joint (non-Italian) account, and we can each withdraw €250/day from that account from one ATM.

I used my credit card for withdrawal and withdrew more than 250 euro at a time. There was also a rumour saying your pin number can not start with 0, which was not an issue for me. Ive since changed my pin, lol... thus the post.

The DK guide paints with too broad a brush...but yes...there are limits to withdrawals in Italy and Europe. But it varies depending on the ATM network, your own bank, and the ATM sponsoring institution. Although we have at least a $500 daily limit on each of our 3 ATM cards (we have the 3 because of extensive international travel) we often cannot get close to $500. Sometimes it might be limited to 200€ and other times it might be limited to the current conversion of $500. And other times it has been 250€ and recently we ran into a 300€ limit. And you will usually not even know why your transaction is rejected because the ATMS do not usually give a reason (like "you have exceeded your daily limit). We think of ATMs almost like slot machines....:). You choose the amount and take your chances.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Completely depends. There are no hard and fast rules in Rome or Italy. Also be prepared for ATMs to refuse to give out any cash on the first try accompanied by some strange message such as wrong pin.Try again from same machine with same card and you'll be successful - and sometimes not.