Woman misses the Carnival Legend in Ketchikan, AK

bluerodeo

I've asked this question twice at question and answer sessions. One time I was told too much liability, they would not go into the safe to get your passport. The other time I was told that they would.

That's why there are 2 Ship's Officers. Everything is documented. There have been numerous posts on this and people that have been on ships and have witnessed it first hand. So my statement stands.

Personally I feel sorry for her. I am the type of person who has the mindset that if you are not early then you are late. I simply cannot tolerate tardiness. I am never ever ever late, and I normally have zero tolerance for people who are late.

Have you ever been on a plane that was late because of mechanical issues, or was late because of weather?

Have you ever been in an accident while on the way to meeting?

You may have never been late in the past, but you cannot guarantee you'll never be late in the future.

Dang that is scary! Can you imagine that poor woman all alone, stranded, that's just too bad .... I'm glad to see that the people at the port seemed to be helping her, hope she was able to get home okay ....

There is always listed the local Carnival contact at all ports to assist when these types of things happen. That is why it is a good idea to take the fun times along with you.

At least she missed the ship in a US port - could of happened out of the States.

You assume she is American and therefore on home turf...

My exact thoughts too. Poop happens..but I'd rather it happen in Alaska than, oh, say Freeport or Nassau?

Perhaps she is Bahamian, or Jamaican...

Edited by SeagoingMom

I hope she had trip insurance.

This happened a couple of weeks ago. 79 year-old woman decides to go by herself up to Mendenhall glacier and took a wrong turn. She didn't make it back to the ship (Coral Princess), and spent the night out in the wilderness. Story here. She got lucky.

http://juneauempire.com/local/2016-08-04/lost-glacier-elderly-woman-spends-night-woods-rescues-self

Amazing story...have to think about your cost to others on a solo adventure...with the years as they roll...

I have been told repeatedly by Carnival that they will not leave a group behind, if they are booked with a Carnival excursion, and something happens that holds up the group. I am thinking that since they state that, you could turn around and sue them if they did.

That has nothing to do with someone who wanders off, and misses the ship because they chose to wander on their own.

And in Cozumel. those are not pier runners, but pier wobblers. I always get a kick out of watching them stumble on back to the ship.:D

I have been told repeatedly by Carnival that they will not leave a group behind, if they are booked with a Carnival excursion, and something happens that holds up the group. I am thinking that since they state that, you could turn around and sue them if they did.

That has nothing to do with someone who wanders off, and misses the ship because they chose to wander on their own.

And in Cozumel. those are not pier runners, but pier wobblers. I always get a kick out of watching them stumble on back to the ship.:D

please understand, carnival will leave you behind if they have to, even on a carnival excursion. the difference is, if you are on a carnival excursion, they will have to pay for your hotel room, meals, getting you to the airport and flying you to the next port. if on a private excursion, that's all on you. but carnival will leave you behind if necessary.

also, there is nothing in writing from carnival that states anything differently than what i just posted so if you read something that says carnival will not leave you behind, it wasn't written by carnival.

please understand, carnival will leave you behind if they have to, even on a carnival excursion. the difference is, if you are on a carnival excursion, they will have to pay for your hotel room, meals, getting you to the airport and flying you to the next port. if on a private excursion, that's all on you. but carnival will leave you behind if necessary.

also, there is nothing in writing from carnival that states anything differently than what i just posted so if you read something that says carnival will not leave you behind, it wasn't written by carnival.

Actually, below is what carnival assures and guarantees in writing.

Can you provide in writing where carnival says they will fly you to the next port, provide meals and lodging

Most ports just aren't that large that the ship would have to wait hours for an excursion to arrive. They could always send another vehicle is there was a breakdown.

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2866/~/shore-excursion-faqs

One of the many benefits of booking excursions through Carnival is a guarantee that the ship will remain in port until all guests are back onboard. Carnival will not be aware of shore excursions that are booked independently

Also

Will I miss the ship if I go on shore excursions?

One of the major advantages of participating in shore excursions sold through Carnival is that we closely monitor the excursion departures and returns. Therefore, we can assure you that even if there are unexpected delays on an excursion, your ship will be there when you return. Please be aware that if you make your own arrangements, or leave an organized excursion, you will be on your own and it will be up to you to make sure you return to your ship on time.

Actually, below is what carnival assures and guarantees in writing.

Can you provide in writing where carnival says they will fly you to the next port, provide meals and lodging

Most ports just aren't that large that the ship would have to wait hours for an excursion to arrive. They could always send another vehicle is there was a breakdown.

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2866/~/shore-excursion-faqs

One of the many benefits of booking excursions through Carnival is a guarantee that the ship will remain in port until all guests are back onboard. Carnival will not be aware of shore excursions that are booked independently

Also

Will I miss the ship if I go on shore excursions?

One of the major advantages of participating in shore excursions sold through Carnival is that we closely monitor the excursion departures and returns. Therefore, we can assure you that even if there are unexpected delays on an excursion, your ship will be there when you return. Please be aware that if you make your own arrangements, or leave an organized excursion, you will be on your own and it will be up to you to make sure you return to your ship on time.

i was table mates with a group that got left behind in san jaun several years ago. carnival took care of everything until they met back up with the ship in st thomas. there have also been reports here of carnival leaving groups behind and picking up the bill. granted, it's rare because it costs carnival a lot of money to do so and they will wait as long as they can which they won't do for a private excursion but there is a breaking point where the ship must leave.

I always allot myself 2 hours to get back to the ship and I like being back on the ship 1 hour ahead of time so in reality we head back 3 hours in advance - the only time we will take an all day deal is if we book thru the cruise line other than that we follow our 3 hour rule of thumb as it has never failed us yet