Woman misses the Carnival Legend in Ketchikan, AK

bluerodeo

I don't know of any insurance that covers a person missing the ship due to their own negligence.

Why get trip insurance then? Why get car insurance or homeowners insurance. If someone comes onto your property and gets hurt, they can sue you even though it's no fault of yours. We were in a car accident and it was clearly the other drivers fault. However, we were the ones who had to jump through hoops to get what was coming to us. Anything can happen, that's why you should have trip insurance. What about drinking too much and falling down the stairs on the ship?

Why get trip insurance then? Why get car insurance or homeowners insurance. If someone comes onto your property and gets hurt, they can sue you even though it's no fault of yours. We were in a car accident and it was clearly the other drivers fault. However, we were the ones who had to jump through hoops to get what was coming to us. Anything can happen, that's why you should have trip insurance. What about drinking too much and falling down the stairs on the ship?

Missing the ship as in FAILING TO SHOW UP. Being late back to the ship because you forgot the time isn't something that is covered. Same way you're not covered if you don't have proper documentation to get on the ship to begin with. Insurance is to cover unexpected circumstances such as illness and injury or delays due to weather, mechanical, etc. Not simply because you had one too many at Sr Frogs. Injuries while ON the ship or OFF would be covered. Again, I was speaking about not getting to the ship from port not due to a covered reason.

The terms and conditions for travel insurance policies clearly spell out what they cover and what they do not- have an accident on the way to the ship? probably covered. Get over served at Senor Frogs? Not so much. A lot depends upon what her specific reason was for being late AND what the policy covers.

Ironically, I'll bet insurance for that gets used a lot.

The terms and conditions for travel insurance policies clearly spell out what they cover and what they do not- have an accident on the way to the ship? probably covered. Get over served at Senor Frogs? Not so much. A lot depends upon what her specific reason was for being late AND what the policy covers.

Do you or anyone here know why this lady was late getting back to the ship? I'd like to hear her side of the story instead of mere speculation.

Do you or anyone here know why this lady was late getting back to the ship? I'd like to hear her side of the story instead of mere speculation.

Nope and that's why I can't say for sure whether insurance would have helped her or not (and of course we don't know the details of any policy she might or might not have had). I doubt that we'll ever get her side of the story. The lesson we can all learn from her- don't be late, the ship will leave.

I don't really think it matters too much of why she was late as trip insurance wouldn't have covered it anyway. Just went back through my policy and nowhere can I find where it says it will assist you with catching up to the ship after it INITIALLY sets sail if you missed it due to a covered reason. Other than that, if you had a medical emergency that caused you to miss the ship while in port, then they will get you home. She was walking and talking just fine so it would appear that she was not medically incapacitated.

But if you think trip insurance will pay for you to catch up with the ship if you overstay due to shopping or you feel like staying at the beach a little longer, try it out. Can't wait to hear that story!

Well, the video shows her sauntering down the dock with shopping bags in hand.

I don't really think it matters too much of why she was late as trip insurance wouldn't have covered it anyway. Just went back through my policy and nowhere can I find where it says it will assist you with catching up to the ship after it INITIALLY sets sail if you missed it due to a covered reason. Other than that, if you had a medical emergency that caused you to miss the ship while in port, then they will get you home. She was walking and talking just fine so it would appear that she was not medically incapacitated.

But if you think trip insurance will pay for you to catch up with the ship if you overstay due to shopping or you feel like staying at the beach a little longer, try it out. Can't wait to hear that story!

Won't hear my story because it ain't ever going to happen.:rolleyes:

Well, the video shows her sauntering down the dock with shopping bags in hand.

I saw one bag on her arm and no one said to her "RUN FOREST RUN!" :D BTW, she was walking pretty fast, she wasn't sauntering. Makes no difference, she was late.

Edited by elliair

Won't hear my story because it ain't ever going to happen.:rolleyes:

Me neither. I am always back hours before last call. My point being travel insurance will not get you back to the ship if you miss it after you have already boarded in the home port due to you forgetting to get back on.

I always get travel insurance mostly for the medical component and I am a big proponent of it. However, it is not a substitute for personal responsibility. Imagine all the people who are having a blast at Senor Frogs and too drunk to make it back to the ship saying, "Screw it - we'll catch the early plane out in the AM and meet up with the ship because our travel insurance will pay for it." Yeah, not happening.

Insurance might cover it under "Trip Interruption." lol

As beautiful as Alaska is, I still wouldn't want to be stranded there!

Here's the definition/coverage of Trip Interruption according to Nationwide Cruise Insurance:

TRIP INTERRUPTION

The Company will pay a benefit, up to the maximum shown on the Confirmation of Coverage, if You are unable to continue on Your Covered Trip due to:

(a) Sickness, Accidental Injury or death of You, Traveling Companion or Family Member; which results in medically imposed restrictions as certified by a Physician at the time of loss preventing Your continued participation in the Trip;

(b) You or a Traveling Companion being hijacked, quarantined, required to serve on a jury, subpoenaed, the victim of felonious assault during the trip; or having his/her principal place of residence made uninhabitable by fire, flood or other natural disaster; or burglary of his/her principal place of residence during the trip;

© You or a Traveling Companion being directly involved in a traffic accident substantiated by a police report, while en route to departure;

(d) You or a Traveling Companion have a transfer of employment of two hundred fifty (250) miles or more;

(e) A Terrorist Incident that occurs in a city listed on Your Trip itinerary during the Trip. This same city must not have experienced a Terrorist Incident within the ninety (90) days prior to the Terrorist Incident that is causing the cancellation of Your Trip. Benefits are not provided if the Travel Supplier offers a substitute itinerary. Your Scheduled Departure Date must be no more than twenty-four (24) months beyond Your Effective Date;

(f) The Insured, Traveling Companion or Family Member, who are military personnel, and are called to emergency duty for a natural disaster other than war;

(g) Bankruptcy and/or Default of the Insured’s Travel Supplier which occurs more than fourteen (14) days following the Insured’s Effective Date. Coverage is not provided for the Bankruptcy or Default of the agency from whom the Insured purchased his or her Land/Sea Arrangements. The Insured’s Scheduled Departure Date must be no more than twenty- four (24) months beyond the Insured’s Effective Date. Benefits will be paid due to Bankruptcy or Default of an airline only if no alternate transportation is available. If alternate transportation is available, benefits will be limited to the change fee charged to allow the Insured to transfer to another airline in order to get to the Insured’s intended destination. This benefit only applies if the insurance has been purchased within final payment for the Trip and for the full cost of the Trip;

(h) An Insured is terminated, or laid off from employment subject to three (3) years of continuous employment at the place of employment where terminated through no fault of Your own;

(i) Natural disaster at the site of Your destination that renders the destination accommodations uninhabitable;

SRTC 2500 9 NW Cruise-Choice-Ed.2/22/16-VA(j) Strike that causes complete cessation of services for at least twenty-four (24) consecutive hours;

(k) Weather that causes complete cessation of services of the Common Carrier for at least twenty-four (24) consecutive hours and prevents the Insured from reaching his or her destination;

(l) You or a Traveling Companion being required to work during the Trip. Proof of requirement to work, such as a notarized statement signed by an officer of Your or a Traveling Companion’s employer must be presented and said employer must comprise of at least twenty-five (25) full-time employees. This benefit only applies if this coverage has been purchased within final payment of the Trip and You or a Traveling Companion has been employed at the company for at least two (2) years and is not the owner or a co-owner of the company;

(m) Your or a Traveling Companion’s company being made unsuitable for business by fire, flood, burglary, vandalism or other natural disaster and You or a Traveling Companion is responsible for policy and decision making with the company and is directly involved as a member of the disaster recovery team;

(n) You or a Traveling Companion has a previously approved military leave revoked or experience a military re- assignment.

The Company will pay for the following:

a) unused, non-refundable land or sea expenses prepaid to Travel Suppliers;

b) the airfare paid less the value of applied credit from an unused return travel ticket, to return home or rejoin the original Land/Sea Arrangements limited to the cost of one-way economy airfare (or similar quality as originally issued ticket) by scheduled carrier, from the point of destination to the point of origin shown on the original travel tickets;

In no event shall the amount reimbursed exceed the amount the Insured prepaid for the Covered Trip.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I am curious how she gets her luggage back and anything else in her cabin like her passport. Does she just wait in Seattle for the ship to come back?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

They leave the contents of your safe with the Security people on the pier. Not sure about the luggage.

Personally I feel sorry for her. I am the type of person who has the mindset that if you are not early then you are late. I simply cannot tolerate tardiness. I am never ever ever late, and I normally have zero tolerance for people who are late.

Something about this made me sad though. She seemed like maybe she was older and in not great shape physically, kind of waddling a bit. But the heckling from the people on the ship is to me uncalled for. Whatever happened to having some empathy for your fellow man? Was it all her own fault? Probably so, but still no need to heckle the poor woman. It looked like maybe she was crying or getting very upset as she was fanning her face (what it looked like to me). What satisfaction did these people derive from heckling her??? It's ok to snicker to yourself inside your own head, or to your mate standing next to you but to holler down to the poor woman??? Completely uncivilized.

They leave the contents of your safe with the Security people on the pier. Not sure about the luggage.

the contents of the room are inventoried and packed and will be at the disembarkation terminal for the people. on our last cruise a family of 4 missed the ship at one of the ports and the carnival folks were packing everything up in their suite. and no, carnival would not let me take over their suite for the remainder of the cruise. :mad: :D

Edited by Computer Nerd

the contents of the room are inventoried and packed and will be at the disembarkation terminal for the people. on our last cruise a family of 4 missed the ship at one of the ports and the carnival folks were packing everything up in their suite. and no, carnival would not let me take over their suite for the remainder of the cruise. :mad: :D

Well the nerve of them letting that suite go to waste! LOL! [emoji39]

I really do not understand how this happens anywhere. Time is not relative when it comes to cruising. I think she is representative of Hal the people that show up to my office late- because they all just had something more important going on. Bet the cost of that flight actually caught her attention.