Woman misses the Carnival Legend in Ketchikan, AK

bluerodeo

It was a man and woman that missed the ship in Ketchikan. We saw them as they came around the corner of a street. The woman started running and screaming her passport was on the ship. The man was unable to run and was quite a distance behind her. They both reboarded in Victoria.

Personally I feel sorry for her. I am the type of person who has the mindset that if you are not early then you are late. I simply cannot tolerate tardiness. I am never ever ever late, and I normally have zero tolerance for people who are late.

Something about this made me sad though. She seemed like maybe she was older and in not great shape physically, kind of waddling a bit. But the heckling from the people on the ship is to me uncalled for. Whatever happened to having some empathy for your fellow man? Was it all her own fault? Probably so, but still no need to heckle the poor woman. It looked like maybe she was crying or getting very upset as she was fanning her face (what it looked like to me). What satisfaction did these people derive from heckling her??? It's ok to snicker to yourself inside your own head, or to your mate standing next to you but to holler down to the poor woman??? Completely uncivilized.

Its just the way it is. Not saying its right but heckling the pier "runners" has been a longstanding tradition for many years. And now in the smartphone world, its all caught and posted on youtube.

Personally I feel sorry for her. I am the type of person who has the mindset that if you are not early then you are late. I simply cannot tolerate tardiness. I am never ever ever late, and I normally have zero tolerance for people who are late.

Something about this made me sad though. She seemed like maybe she was older and in not great shape physically, kind of waddling a bit. But the heckling from the people on the ship is to me uncalled for. Whatever happened to having some empathy for your fellow man? Was it all her own fault? Probably so, but still no need to heckle the poor woman. It looked like maybe she was crying or getting very upset as she was fanning her face (what it looked like to me). What satisfaction did these people derive from heckling her??? It's ok to snicker to yourself inside your own head, or to your mate standing next to you but to holler down to the poor woman??? Completely uncivilized.

could not have said it better myself. This is also how I feel about her missing the ship. Just sad, sad for her, and sad how people heckle others who are in a sad situation. I know that it is life, but to me it is sad.

So many people use their phones these days to check the time. We know better, as it does automatically change with the time zones - but maybe she was relying on her phone for the time.

No one would purposely miss their ship or come dragging up to the dock so late just because...

So many people use their phones these days to check the time. We know better, as it does automatically change with the time zones - but maybe she was relying on her phone for the time.

No one would purposely miss their ship or come dragging up to the dock so late just because...

if people knew how to actually work their phones they wouldn't be late. the time on a phone can be set manually and can be set to not change automatically. so we can't blame the phone just because people refuse to learn how to operate it properly.

if people knew how to actually work their phones they wouldn't be late. the time on a phone can be set manually and can be set to not change automatically. so we can't blame the phone just because people refuse to learn how to operate it properly.

OK, so really....I didn't know that! Thanks for teaching me something new.

Signed: Not-so-smart Smart Phone User

OK, so really....I didn't know that! Thanks for teaching me something new.

Signed: Not-so-smart Smart Phone User

if you have an android phone go to settings and then date and time. glad i could help.

personally i just prefer my good old 15 dollar timex that i can also swim with.

if you have an android phone go to settings and then date and time. glad i could help.

personally i just prefer my good old 15 dollar timex that i can also swim with.

Yuppa - same here with my Casio G-shock!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it happens a lot more than people think, I've seen it a few times on ours, one was a mandatory miss from a couple guys that had a run in with the law at the bar though so a little different. I like watching runners but prefer if they all make it aboard. Feel a bit bad for the ones that don't.

But you know it's their own fault, especially if they come casually walking up after everyones been waiting an hour for them. Then you start wishing the ship would pull away lol

I was on that cruise. Didn't see the people but I did hear about them later. As for Ship time, the ship changed time when it went to Alaska. It didn't keep the same time like I've seen elsewhere. They posted signs around the elevators and talked about it a number of times. Same with the return trip. Time changes backwards though so if they missed the change they would have thought they were even later than they were. Seeing as how Ketchikan is the last stop in Alaska though, it's not very likely that they would have missed the time change by that point. All aboard in Ketchikan was 12:30pm so it's a short stop. There was a huge lineup to get back on at 12:15pm so it's not like a lot of people were getting on with a lot of time to spare. Unfortunate for them. Their fault or not, it still sucks.

moongal you words are exactly how I feel about this situation. I seen some pretty sad comments on Facebook in regards to this situation as well. Sure made me feel sad.

moongal you words are exactly how I feel about this situation. I seen some pretty sad comments on Facebook in regards to this situation as well. Sure made me feel sad.

I think anybody can have empathy for them. I am sure that they were distraught. That said, most here have seen those pier runners, and the waiting involved, and then when they realize that the ship is waiting begin sauntering and making fun of those watching. For a large chunk of people who are late, it is they have caught that dreaded disease: "it's may vacation".

Sent from my iPhone

Does trip insurance actually cover stupidity and carelessness?

Yes it does. However, I don't think it covers being late to the departing ship because you got lost, didn't look at your watch or didn't know what time you had to be back. Getting lost may not be a covered peril.

However, if you were in an accident that was your fault because you did something careless and stupid, the insurance might cover the cost of rejoining the ship (if an auto accident is a covered peril). Check your own auto policy, there is no exclusion for doing something stupidity and carelessness. It also does exclude drunk driving, even though drunk driving is illegal. It does exclude organized race events, even though those are legal.

If the person is fined because of the PVSA, I don't think the insurance would cover that.

You really need to read the policy. Not only the exclusions, but also what is covered. If the policy only covers commercial transport, it does not have to exclude hiking, since hiking is not commercial transport.

Edited by Cuizer2

I don't know of any insurance that covers a person missing the ship due to their own negligence.

If you are in an auto accident that is your fault, the insurance would cover that. However, if you are late because you didn't look at the clock or because you got lost or because you just left late, that likely is not covered.

Do you or anyone here know why this lady was late getting back to the ship? I'd like to hear her side of the story instead of mere speculation.

Oops - wrong thread.

Edited by Cuizer2

If you are in an auto accident that is your fault, the insurance would cover that. However, if you are late because you didn't look at the clock or because you got lost or because you just left late, that likely is not covered.

That is correct. I was referring to straight up missing the ship because you lost track of time.

I am curious how she gets her luggage back and anything else in her cabin like her passport. Does she just wait in Seattle for the ship to come back?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If the ship has not made is foreign port stop yet, she could catch up with the ship there. Otherwise she would have to go to Seattle and wait for the ship to return.

They leave the contents of your safe with the Security people on the pier. Not sure about the luggage.

I've asked this question twice at question and answer sessions. One time I was told too much liability, they would not go into the safe to get your passport. The other time I was told that they would.