MDR pre-paid gratuities if you never eat there

We are in a suite on our upcoming Oasis sailing and I have a question about tipping. If we never eat in the MDR and decide to eat in the Coastal Kitchen and specialty restaurants every night, should we stop our pre-paid tips for the waitstaff in the MDR? We will be tipping when we eat in the other restaurants.

Edited by saintsfan777

I always debate this because I do not eat in the MDR at all on any cruise. However after researching, we have never removed pre-paid gratuities on any cruise - because they are split in many ways behind the scenes and there is no way of reaching all the people that these tips would have reached. We just pay it and remember that they go to a wide range of people whose services we DO use as well.

If there was a way to break it down and specifically say no tips to the waiting staff in the MDR then we would, as I see no reason to tip someone you are definitely not even encountering - but they don't allow you to see the breakdown so there is no way to do that without punishing people whose services you do use.

When you eat in any restaurant the tip from your reservation is part of that visit. All share. Now if you want to tip a little extra that's up to you [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dining room staff work hard all day, around the other venues too. So if you have lunch in the buffet, you may have them helping you there. Good to keep the tips paid, since it's not just for their dining room work.

We are in a suite on our upcoming Oasis sailing and I have a question about tipping. If we never eat in the MDR and decide to eat in the Coastal Kitchen and specialty restaurants every night, should we stop our pre-paid tips for the waitstaff in the MDR? We will be tipping when we eat in the other restaurants.

the suite daily surcharge COVERS the Coastal Kitchen! so no you absolutely should not be removing the pre paid tips whatsoever.

it also covers all other venues( Promenade, buffet, etc) for ALL meals served.

I agree , but still miss old days that you tipped who you wanted as much as you wanted, we eat half our meals in MDR rest in specialty, so we do not tip extra at MDR but tip extra room stewards and specialty and bar staff, enjoy the suite they are addictive,

I agree , but still miss old days that you tipped who you wanted as much as you wanted, we eat half our meals in MDR rest in specialty, so we do not tip extra at MDR but tip extra room stewards and specialty and bar staff, enjoy the suite they are addictive,

George C, in the old days, those who you tipped then had to "tip out" (share) what you gave them. This way, everyone is covered and you only have to give extra for exceptional service.:)

Edited by CORKY_Q

the suite daily surcharge COVERS the Coastal Kitchen! so no you absolutely should not be removing the pre paid tips whatsoever.

I'm curious where it shows that the Suite Daily Gratuity cover Coastal Kitchen.

A friend boarded Allure today. I asked her about this and this is the response she got from the Concierge and CK hostess.

"Suite gratuities definitely do NOT cover CK. It's a free restaurant so no gratuities are built in. How much or if to tip is at the guest's discretion like any "free" restaurant."

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

The automatic tip is, amongst others, for Dining Services. It´s not tied to the MDR, but it is for all Dining Services, regardless where you dine.

This is the best way I have heard to explain it.....so unless someone is planning on NOT EATING ANYWHERE onboard the ship......the tips NEED TO REMAIN.

IF you were not planning on eating, WHY cruise? LOL