Bummed I have to cancel today.

Ok. Cruise was booked prior to pregnancy due date confirmation. I could not move the dates because of the other two couples involved. I could have and should have canceled 48 hours ago, but hung on to the possibilities, since contractions began Friday. (They were false contractions obviously)

I made the mistake of loving cruising so much and wanting to be on this particular sailing with my friends and brother, that I chanced it, hoping the kid would make an appearance in the 11th hour. He didn't, and that's life.

It still sucks though.

Day 2 of cruise, and still no kid.

Now I'm going to sound awful! I booked my November 2016 cruise for myself and my two younger boys (14 and 17) in November 2015. It's over Thanksgiving break. In March my oldest son (21) who lives in another state about 1000 miles away called to tell me he and his girlfriend are pregnant and will be due on November 19, 2016. I didn't cancel then nor do I plan on cancelling either. If I don't see the baby until she's a few months old I'm ok with that, and it will give them time to adjust as well.

Now I'm going to sound awful! I booked my November 2016 cruise for myself and my two younger boys (14 and 17) in November 2015. It's over Thanksgiving break. In March my oldest son (21) who lives in another state about 1000 miles away called to tell me he and his girlfriend are pregnant and will be due on November 19, 2016. I didn't cancel then nor do I plan on cancelling either. If I don't see the baby until she's a few months old I'm ok with that, and it will give them time to adjust as well.

I don't think it's awful at all. I would do the same thing you are.

Cool! A future grandma with some common sense. You don't sound awful to me, you made plans and they didn't. How does that saying go? "Piss poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part." Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket!:D

I made the mistake of loving cruising so much and wanting to be on this particular sailing with my friends and brother, that I chanced it, hoping the kid would make an appearance in the 11th hour. He didn't, and that's life.

It still sucks though.

True. Too late to worry about it now. You need to order the baby a Carnival onesie!

You are not awful...I would probably do the same.

I was on a trip to Las Vegas for my son's first birthday and was told back then (38 years ago)...that I was awful (LOL)

Ok. Cruise was booked prior to pregnancy due date confirmation. I could not move the dates because of the other two couples involved. I could have and should have canceled 48 hours ago, but hung on to the possibilities, since contractions began Friday. (They were false contractions obviously)

It still sucks though.

Oh hell no.. as a wife...i would not take that kind of loss in money no matter how much i make. I understand your wife is a good woman but that was a insensitive call on her part. I feel for ya!!

I am the same, grandchild Number 2 is due 20th December.

You made the best decision you could for your wife. Happy wife happy life as they say. Now take the bill and put it away in a safe place. When your nephew is old enough you can present it to him for free yard work. It will be the least he could do for such a great uncle.

I might have missed a response, but if I was the one having the kid (well, if my wife was), I would tell my sister to get the heck out of there, get on that cruise, and get a nice gift for the baby for when you get back!

We would have gone on the cruise as well (heck, we have gone on vacation when my wife's sister has had a child. We knew it would come at any time, in fact heard that it was born on the voicemail on our phone after we got off the plane).

I have four nieces and three nephews and one of my own. I understand your wife wanting to be there just like I wanted to be there for my sisters. But the truth is She will be more helpful afterwards than at the birth. I had one sister go into labor and we were half way there 1.5 hrs into our drive there and she went home. So we turned around and went home. The next day she was in full labor and I couldn't go and I was so disappointed. But it turned out I went a day later to take my shift staying with her in the hospital. Hubby was home w 5 yr old. I stayed with her for 3-4 days helping her and getting up every night with her. For her first one. I went week three for my shift. So her two girls are the only ones I wasn't there at the hospital but all of them I have stayed at my siblings home and helped. It's sweet your wife wanted to be there but the due date is when? If that was that important then trip should have been scheduled for 4 weeks ago

He could not schedule different time..it was yes and risk it or no; because it was a with friends deal.

OP still think you are cool to suck it up and stand by wife..and this is just your vent. Lol on the future lawnmower. Just a good buddy I hope..nothing like my nieces and nephews to me. I skipped having kids this time around. Now so cute to see who the next group runs to...the boys pick the big voiced and big guys in the room at a certain age...lol.

Edited by sjn911

Cool! A future grandma with some common sense. You don't sound awful to me, you made plans and they didn't. How does that saying go? "Piss poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part." Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket!:D

No, you are not awful if you don't change your plans. My inlaws and husband's grandmother planned a cruise for early December when I was pregnant. I was due Nov. 15, but the baby was 3 weeks late and of course they were out on the cruise when he was born on December 5. They saw him at Christmas. No big deal.

When my DIL was pregnant with my 2nd grandson, we thought all would be well. My Mom and I had cruised over our birthdays (September 13 and 17) for the previous 5 years and had a trip planned. The baby wasn't due until October 8. Of course the little munchkin came early and was born on 9/15. No big deal. After getting the e-mail, I just changed my flight reservations and flew from Orlando straight to Dallas to help out for a week. They had a few extra days to bond as a family before I showed up.

I definitely would not cancel a cruise, unless I was the one having the baby. I went on one cruise when I was 3 months pregnant and it was a miserable experience. I was so tired I slept through most of it, when I wasn't throwing up, that is.

Edited by DebJ14

If it was all that to the wife, the cruise should have been scheduled way after the baby was due. They come when they want. Especially first ones.

$1300 IMO is too much to loose for something that could have been better planned. My friend's friend who was going with us this weekend cancelled last week, because she would rather stay home and try to make up with her boyfriend because he got mad at her for booking the trip in the first place. People have money to waste I guess.

Carnival shouldn't and won't reimburse my friend or this situation here. If there's a baby #2, I suggest scheduling two months after her due date. That should put OP in the clear.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk