What ended up happening with the "one service a day" issue?

AdoraBelle

I don't think more people are indicating this, rather a vocal minority is getting more vocal on this issue. What's the problem with putting the do not disturb sign on you door when you don't want to be disturbed?

Hey, here's a constructive idea... Hook a little LED outside the room to the key card slot that turns all your on. Would encourage folks to use the slot as intended and then nobody has to do paperwork or be troubled with the do not disturb sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The do not disturb sign (snoozin sign) would not let the steward know you're not interested so then he's just waiting around till he can service your room. I think that's rude. Again, what's the issue with giving people a choice/choices?

Edited by Rh2458

I'm glad they don't waste putting robes in all of the rooms. We never ever have used, or even touched the robes yet each cruise they have to be laundered. What a waste. More and more people indicate they don't want service twice a day. Why not give people choices? What's the problem with that?

It's about setting a standard of service. Up until lately, Carnival's standard of service has been twice daily with robes in every room.

You have always been free to tell the steward you won't use the robes, so he can remove them so they're not needlessly laundered. You've also always been free to tell the steward you'd rather only have morning or evening service, whichever you prefer.

The issue in this thread is Carnival's standard of service is devolving into once daily service, with robes as an optional item that is only provided if explicitly requested.

I don't care about the robes - I don't use them. I don't need ice in my room, or robes, or any of the other housekeeping items they offer. But, I do like having twice daily service and I don't want to be made to feel bad if I ask for that, because that is Carnival's standard of service.

It's about setting a standard of service. Up until lately, Carnival's standard of service has been twice daily with robes in every room.

You have always been free to tell the steward you won't use the robes, so he can remove them so they're not needlessly laundered. You've also always been free to tell the steward you'd rather only have morning or evening service, whichever you prefer.

The issue in this thread is Carnival's standard of service is devolving into once daily service, with robes as an optional item that is only provided if explicitly requested.

I don't care about the robes - I don't use them. I don't need ice in my room, or robes, or any of the other housekeeping items they offer. But, I do like having twice daily service and I don't want to be made to feel bad if I ask for that, because that is Carnival's standard of service.

I hear what you're saying but I truly don't understand why you'd be made to feel badly if you asked for something twice a day, when it's been made clear by many that you have a choice...despite what some stewards are trying to say. They should feel badly for trying to bamboozle you.

I hear what you're saying but I truly don't understand why you'd be made to feel badly if you asked for something twice a day, when it's been made clear by many that you have a choice...despite what some stewards are trying to say. They should feel badly for trying to bamboozle you.

It makes for an awkward exchange with the steward and is inexcusable. Carnival should either get all of the stewards on the same page, or just stick with twice a day as standard service. If they can't get their right and left hands to move in sync, they should continue to sit on them so they aren't flailing aimlessly.

The do not disturb sign (snoozin sign) would not let the steward know you're not interested so then he's just waiting around till he can service your room. I think that's rude. Again, what's the issue with giving people a choice/choices?

The choice to not take advantage of certain aspects of the cruising experience has always been there. We often leave notes for our steward if we don't see him. Now we're expected to opt in Vs opt out for something that has always made cruising special for us. And again, the way this has been (mis)handled over the course of the past year gives the impression the impression that they're trying to change the expectation and I think that's why many have a problem with it.

I would have no problem with being asked to select what I want during the booking or online check-in process. The problem with waiting until guests are on board is that stewards have been assigned a certain number of cabins and their workload would increase significantly if they have mostly passengers who want twice-a-day service. It also creates the opportunity for stewards who want to decrease their workload -- or can't handle their workload -- to steer guests into choosing just once-a-day.

Yes, the stewards should feel bad if they're lying to guests, but most people don't want an uncomfortable confrontation during their vacation. A lot of guests also feel guilty that they can afford a cruise vacation while others are away from their families, working hard for not much money because of the luck of birth. It can be hard to demand two services when the steward is insisting or strongly hinting that you are expected to choose one. Is that how anyone wants to start a relaxing cruise?

I would have no problem with being asked to select what I want during the booking or online check-in process. The problem with waiting until guests are on board is that stewards have been assigned a certain number of cabins and their workload would increase significantly if they have mostly passengers who want twice-a-day service. It also creates the opportunity for stewards who want to decrease their workload -- or can't handle their workload -- to steer guests into choosing just once-a-day.

Yes, the stewards should feel bad if they're lying to guests, but most people don't want an uncomfortable confrontation during their vacation. A lot of guests also feel guilty that they can afford a cruise vacation while others are away from their families, working hard for not much money because of the luck of birth. It can be hard to demand two services when the steward is insisting or strongly hinting that you are expected to choose one. Is that how anyone wants to start a relaxing cruise?

Katie I agree with everything you've written and completely see your points. I also think it's an excellent idea it be part of the online check in process just like people pick their staggered time, bed arrangement and dinner time.

This will be my last post on this thread (is that applause I hear?)

I think your idea about making it part of online check in is much better than what has been presented by CCL (but I still think it's a slippery slope).

I guess the thing that irks me most about this whole thing is that Carnival threw their employees under the bus.

26 cruises, never had the impression that a cabin steward misled me or was misinformed. I Can't say the same for John H or Carnival Corp.

And even if it is a case of rouge stewards not understanding or following instructions, how is that an excuse for Carnival Management at this point. These are the same people responsible for our safety in an emergency, and I'm sure emergency procedures change over time. Are we really saying management does not have a responsibility to make sure the rank and file understand new procedures (don't want to say policies again) when they make a change?

Edited by nealstuber

I'm wondering if Carnival is really testing this out, and telling the stewards to try to guide the guests towards once a day service. However, maybe the stewards have noticed or are fearful of the guests removing portions of the tips, so some of the stewards are offering twice a day.

Also, it may be that the workload may be increasing even more in the coming months (assigning even more cabins per team of stewards) and some of the stewards are afraid of losing their jobs due to reduction in staff. This happens all the time, everywhere. One person doing multiple persons jobs after layoffs. Therefore, some of the stewards are more than accommodating and will service twice a day, showing that a cut in staff would not be a wise choice.

Just thinking out loud and ahead. Not saying this is true.

So, you think there are rogue stewards who are printing up forms with options for once or twice a day service?

Uh, ok...

Huh? Many people are not even seeing the forms. The stewards are telling them to chose. Not sure what you are talking about with stewards printing their own forms.

Just off the Splendor.

Cabin Stewards told me he had 35 cabins now.

Very heavy workload if you ask me.

What if there is an emergency?

There are less Stewards to assist.

Just like the slow service in the Main dining room.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Forums mobile app

What is it you want them to assist with in case of an emergency?

Just off the Splendor.

Cabin Stewards told me he had 35 cabins now.

Very heavy workload if you ask me.

What if there is an emergency?

There are less Stewards to assist.

Just like the slow service in the Main dining room.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Forums mobile app

Did he also tell you he has an assistant?

I'm wondering if Carnival is really testing this out, and telling the stewards to try to guide the guests towards once a day service. However, maybe the stewards have noticed or are fearful of the guests removing portions of the tips, so some of the stewards are offering twice a day.

Also, it may be that the workload may be increasing even more in the coming months (assigning even more cabins per team of stewards) and some of the stewards are afraid of losing their jobs due to reduction in staff. This happens all the time, everywhere. One person doing multiple persons jobs after layoffs. Therefore, some of the stewards are more than accommodating and will service twice a day, showing that a cut in staff would not be a wise choice.

Just thinking out loud and ahead. Not saying this is true.

Please, there are enough insane rumors running wild here without throwing in what if's:confused:

LOL, now they are printing their own forms..... Gotta love it :D

Actually this is not far fetched. I was passing a steward in the hallway and he was asking guests to sign a hand written form about his service - excellent etc. He hesitantly asked me to sign, knowing that I was Diamond and would know this was not the norm.

I would imagine he felt the need to do this because people were removing tips or complaining but who knows.

On the Conquest.

(sorry off topic)

Huh? Many people are not even seeing the forms. The stewards are telling them to chose. Not sure what you are talking about with stewards printing their own forms.

This form:

IMG_2617.jpg

I was on the Miracle a few weeks ago and I was given the same form.

So, you honestly think there are rogue stewards that are making this up? Really???

So, you honestly think there are rogue stewards that are making this up? Really???

The alternate explanation is that multiple cruisers are systematically coming here and lying about their experiences.

Actually this is not far fetched. I was passing a steward in the hallway and he was asking guests to sign a hand written form about his service - excellent etc. He hesitantly asked me to sign, knowing that I was Diamond and would know this was not the norm.

I would imagine he felt the need to do this because people were removing tips or complaining but who knows.

On the Conquest.

(sorry off topic)

They have been having people sign those sheets for years. The poster was saying that the RS was making his own comfort matters form with limited info, which reeks of conspiracy theory.

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by jimbo5544

This form:

IMG_2617.jpg

First, I have seen the form already. My response was to the fact that you asked me if I thought there were rogue stewards printing their own forms.

I never said the forms were made up by the stewards. My point was that it is the stewards who are going rogue and making up the fact that you have to choose either AM or PM.

The older forms didn't have BOTH on them and many stewards never show the customer the form, they just ask which one. Considering you can choose both, if a steward is asking you to choose one or the other then they are definitely going rogue.

First, I have seen the form already. My response was to the fact that you asked me if I thought there were rogue stewards printing their own forms.

I never said the forms were made up by the stewards. My point was that it is the stewards who are going rogue and making up the fact that you have to choose either AM or PM.

The older forms didn't have BOTH on them and many stewards never show the customer the form, they just ask which one. Considering you can choose both, if a steward is asking you to choose one or the other then they are definitely going rogue.

So you've now seen the form with "BOTH" on it (revised in response to those who couldn't comprehend how to actually check both without it explicitly stating it) yet you still don't believe it.

Why? Because there are internet strangers claiming to be told they CAN'T have both when the form now specifically says they can.

Have YOU specifically been told you cannot have twice-a-day cabin service or are you relying on the fact others have claimed to be told it's once-a-day only?

You claim that there are stewards who are going rogue and making up the fact that you have to choose either AM or PM and that many stewards never show guests the form. How do you know this and how do you quantify "many"? Oh - I know how... because a couple people on the internet said it. That makes it true and rampant.

I've cruised 5 times since the introduction of the "Comfort Matters" program under both the "old form" and the "new form" on several different ships. In every case the steward very clearly told me I could have morning service, evening service or both.

I didn't ask him how many cabins he has to service or if he has an assistant or two to help him. I simply expressed my preference and it was done. Several special requests were also accommodated and a generous additional gratuity was provided.

You could have a thousand claims of stewards informing guests appropriately and just one claiming to have been told once-a-day. Of course, the one claiming the once-a-day story is the one who is going to be believed and therefore indicative of the whole nefarious scheme to bamboozle the guest.

You are free to believe a problem exists and exhaust yourself debating it. I for one know a problem does not exist and will not debate with those who believe one does.

Edited by StolidCruiser

On splendor, I was asked AM or PM.. I said both... I was told that due to staff reductions that I had to choose one or the other... I asked him if I go to Guest Services and ask about this, will they tell me the same thing? I said that I do not require a full cleaning for both, but would like beds made, ice and fresh towels in the AM and only towels checked and animal in the evening.. He scoffed off not happy, but I got requested services. So I beg to differ that it IS an issue on some ships with SOME stewards.