Main Dining Room lunch on PORT DAYS

MSBerliner

We love lunch in the MDR and would also enjoy it on port days. But let's be honest, the vast majority of people won't utilize it and I think it's great for the crew to have that break. There are so many other options available on board no one, including myself, is going hungry. Plus, given the port, I think I may rather eat ashore than on board (most non-Caribbean itineraries).

We love lunch in the MDR and would also enjoy it on port days. But let's be honest, the vast majority of people won't utilize it and I think it's great for the crew to have that break.

Crew don't get a break - they are assigned elsewhere (buffet, etc..).

I do miss the MDR on port days, but I do understand not opening it.

I have cruised NCL to Bermuda. The MDR was not open for lunch on the days in port, but there is a 24x7 casual dining area that was open for a sit down meal. Not the same as MDR, but it worked.

When the dining room is open for lunch, there's usually a "late risers" section on the menu with an item such as eggs benedict or blueberry pancakes.

Yes, I've had some of those selections. What I mentioned about Carnival is their brunch--a whole shebang just for brunch hours with lots and lots of selections. It's a totally different thing from the Princess additions to the lunch menu.

Yes, I've had some of those selections. What I mentioned about Carnival is their brunch--a whole shebang just for brunch hours with lots and lots of selections. It's a totally different thing from the Princess additions to the lunch menu.

Hours are usually 7:30am-1p.

Some will go for breakfast and return for lunch.

Only on the longer cruises does Carnival have separate breakfast and lunch times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Crew don't get a break - they are assigned elsewhere (buffet, etc..).

The crew assigned to that one dining room that would be opened for lunch service would get a break. There are already crew assigned to cover the other areas of the ship. We have talked with many servers and they can have schedules that give them off during lunch time allowing them to get off the ship. If they opened the MDR every day this would drastically reduce the possibility of giving them this time off.

The crew assigned to that one dining room that would be opened for lunch service would get a break. There are already crew assigned to cover the other areas of the ship. We have talked with many servers and they can have schedules that give them off during lunch time allowing them to get off the ship. If they opened the MDR every day this would drastically reduce the possibility of giving them this time off.

I have asked them also and they indicated they don't get time off, they are simply re-assigned. They indicated that they don't get any additional time off. They said this after the change.

Edited by Coral

I have asked them also and they indicated they don't get time off, they are simply re-assigned. They indicated that they don't get any additional time off. They said this after the change.

I guess we have different experiences then as I have run into our servers off the ship who have had either lunch or breakfast off. Not sure what change you're referring to though.

I guess we have different experiences then as I have run into our servers off the ship who have had either lunch or breakfast off. Not sure what change you're referring to though.

They may have those times off but they are not getting additional time off due to the dining room being closed at lunch.

Remember - this is a company that continues to make cut backs. They are not going to give employees more time off just because one venue is closed. There are other venues.

They may have those times off but they are not getting additional time off due to the dining room being closed at lunch.

Remember - this is a company that continues to make cut backs. They are not going to give employees more time off just because one venue is closed. There are other venues.

You're missing my point. They have that time off now as you noted. MDRs are currently closed on port days. If they open they have to staff them with people that currently are off, therefore they are losing time off.

You're missing my point. They have that time off now as you noted. MDRs are currently closed on port days. If they open they have to staff them with people that currently are off, therefore they are losing time off.

If they have to open, they move staff down from Horizon Court where they are all working at that time, leaving the HC with fewer staff. It's the MDR people who also run the HC.

If they have to open, they move staff down from Horizon Court where they are all working at that time, leaving the HC with fewer staff. It's the MDR people who also run the HC.

Yes........also,

The lunch was discontinued a few years ago.

They don't have the staff levels now that they had back then.

There are no additional staff to allow additional crew off.

They all get time off at some point.

The port lunch was stopped because there were low numbers of passengers utilizing it because they were many ashore.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

But that is only on Sundays which are Sea Days.