Sea Princess Cocaine Bust in Sydney Harbor

kayzmarie

You could be right. The news stories keep talking about Fremantle and that the people were on a 66 day cruise. The Sea P was in Dover on 9th July and is due in Fremantle on 14th Sept. That looks like 66 days. :) They could easily have planned to walk the drugs ashore in Brisbane (Tuesday 30th August).

Much easier to take them off that way I'd have thought.

Also the fact they were still in their cabin when the little pups came to visit indicates Sydney wasn't their final destination.

May also have been a few kg go off here a few there a few somewhere else.

Much easier to take them off that way I'd have thought.

Also the fact they were still in their cabin when the little pups came to visit indicates Sydney wasn't their final destination.

May also have been a few kg go off here a few there a few somewhere else.

From Sydney to Brisbane, Yorkey's Knob, Darwin, Broome, Geraldton before arriving in Fremantle. All of those intermediate ports would be somewhat 'relaxed.'

Sydney would have been the best place to involve the sniffer dogs and the Border Patrol.

The resources are better and perhaps they - the Police and Border Patrol - might have been worried about the couriers dropping their suitcases to a waiting craft when returning down the harbour when leaving Sydney or when going up the river in Brisbane. It has happened before with drugs so there is no reason why it couldn't happen again.

Jennie

Fox News just did an extensive report on the Sydney drug bust.

They included lots of bikini pics! Hot, I'm not kidding.

But the report was serious, too. They said that the two young ladies could get life sentences! They also mentioned the possibility of a plea deal, if evidence was given concerning the drug dealers and the drug syndicate.

What a story.

Okay people. In case your are too stupid to figure it out. NO ONE gives you a free trip in a suite because you want to cruise. No one! So for all of you out there in LaLa Land you are being set up to transport drugs. How many, count them, how many stories have we heard about when this is done. DUH!

There have been stories yearly about this very same thing. You have to live under a rock to never have heard. At the very list you should have checked out the offer a little more. No one really says, you are so pretty. Let me spend $50,000 on you to have a great party without me. Live it up and let the world know. All you have to do is bring home some souvenirs I bought in various known drug countries.

disclaimer: I am not referring to anyone on CC. Clearly we are all way too smart to do such a thing. :D

We boarded the ship in FLL once. As we drop off our carry ons and head to the buffet we get to the stairway. There is a group of about 10 LEOs running up the stairs. I mean running! They were after someone, either crew or passenger, and they weren't leaving without them. They scared the crap out of me just in their numbers. They were big guys. With those guys in the stair well there was no way anyone else was getting by. Got my adrenaline going.

Fox News just did an extensive report on the Sydney drug bust.

They included lots of bikini pics! Hot' date=' I'm not kidding.

But the report was serious, too. They said that the two young ladies could get life sentences! They also mentioned the possibility of a plea deal, if evidence was given concerning the drug dealers and the drug syndicate.

What a story.[/quote']

Yes, the Aussies do not fool around. Not like the US....... These women should get life - just for being stupid - regardless of their testimony.

Little chance for a plea deal. Low level drug couriers like these two are at the very bottom of a crime syndicate. Too dumb to have any valuable intel and too late to volunteer as police informer. They are screwed.

Edited by sfaaa

Little chance for a plea deal. Low level drug couriers like these two are at the very bottom of a crime syndicate. Too dumb to have any valuable intel and too late to volunteer as police informer. They are screwed.

Really scary, grim, and sad for the two young ladies. "Too dumb" must be the explanation. Otherwise, it seems like they could have done other things with their lives. I know that teens can be really dumb. But these two in their twenties should have been able to stop and think and come to a better conclusion.

I'm sorry for the Sea Princess crew and staff. I hope that none of them are suffering in a mental way over this incident.

Really scary' date=' grim, and sad for the two young ladies. "Too dumb" must be the explanation. Otherwise, it seems like they could have done other things with their lives. I know that teens can be really dumb. But these two in their twenties should have been able to stop and think and come to a better conclusion.

[b']I'm sorry for the Sea Princess crew and staff. I hope that none of them are suffering in a mental way over this incident.[/b]

Seriously? If I were a crew member I'd be pretty stoked about the bust! $30 million dollars of coke off the streets in Australia! If I were a crew member it would be pure MENTAL JOY!

Seriously? If I were a crew member I'd be pretty stoked about the bust! $30 million dollars of coke off the streets in Australia! If I were a crew member it would be pure MENTAL JOY!

OK, well, fair enough.

The fact that it was on the Sea Princess, rather than on the streets of say... Chicago, makes it more troubling to me.

I am glad I wasn't their neighbor, on that cruise, on the Sea Princess. I know we aren't safe from crime, or isolated from it, on a cruise. But a cruise seems so idyllic.

I have seen my share of street crime, and drug dealers, on the street. I used to take evasive routes, to avoid the drug dealers, on the street. But on the Sea Princess... Ugh.

OK' date=' well, fair enough.

The fact that it was on the Sea Princess, rather than on the streets of say... Chicago, makes it more troubling to me.

I am glad I wasn't their neighbor, on that cruise, on the Sea Princess. I know we aren't safe from crime, or isolated from it, on a cruise. But a cruise seems so idyllic.

I have seen my share of street crime, and drug dealers, on the street. I used to take evasive routes, to avoid the drug dealers, on the street. But on the Sea Princess... Ugh.[/quote']

Keep in mind these were couriers, not drug dealers. They kept their drugs very secret and no-one would have need to be concerned about crime associated with their drugs while they were on the ship. We left the ship at an earlier port, but friends who were on the cruise right to the end knew nothing about this arrest until after they got home.

I feel sorry for the senior crew - it was the Captain's first cruise as captain. I do not know how long they were aware of the drugs on board, but obviously the police informed them before boarding. Then they would have to probably have an enquiry with security staff, then report to Princess.

Keep in mind these were couriers, not drug dealers. They kept their drugs very secret and no-one would have need to be concerned about crime associated with their drugs while they were on the ship. We left the ship at an earlier port, but friends who were on the cruise right to the end knew nothing about this arrest until after they got home.

I feel sorry for the senior crew - it was the Captain's first cruise as captain. I do not know how long they were aware of the drugs on board, but obviously the police informed them before boarding. Then they would have to probably have an enquiry with security staff, then report to Princess.

Wow, thanks for the information about the Captain. I can just imagine the reports that will be required. I am sure we will never know about the details.

Thanks again.

OK' date=' well, fair enough.

[b']The fact that it was on the Sea Princess, rather than on the streets of say... Chicago, makes it more troubling to me.[/b]

I have seen my share of street crime, and drug dealers, on the street. I used to take evasive routes, to avoid the drug dealers, on the street. But on the Sea Princess... Ugh.

What makes me so nervous about Chicago, is that 90 people were murdered on the streets of Chicago in August alone. It wasn't drugs that killed them but gangs fighting and shooting at one another.

I can feel for the captain because he was in the know the whole time. One screw up could really put Princess and the crew in a bad light. Everyone with Princess did well, they kept their cool.

I really don't think a waiter or cabin steward would care very much.

It might be something out of the ordinary that would start some chatter,

but after that, it's back to the same-old same-old 13+ hour days

I really don't think a waiter or cabin steward would care very much.

It might be something out of the ordinary that would start some chatter,

but after that, it's back to the same-old same-old 13+ hour days

Sorry to pick up on this comment about 13+ hour days. :) This is a myth. Princess follows the terms set down under the International Labour Organization. No crew are permitted to work more than 70 hours per week - average 10 hours per day. They have to fill out a time sheet to account for every 15 minute time block. The sheet is regarded as a legal form and is initialled by their supervisor. :)

What makes me so nervous about Chicago, is that 90 people were murdered on the streets of Chicago in August alone. It wasn't drugs that killed them but gangs fighting and shooting at one another.

I can feel for the captain because he was in the know the whole time. One screw up could really put Princess and the crew in a bad light. Everyone with Princess did well, they kept their cool.

Drug dealing, drugs, gangs, gang warfare, and the shootings are all part of the same milieu. I know this for sure, as I have seen it, and I have been there.

I know it for sure. This I know from deep personal experience.

Where did you read that the captain "was in the know the whole time"?:cool:

Sorry to pick up on this comment about 13+ hour days. :) This is a myth. Princess follows the terms set down under the International Labour Organization. No crew are permitted to work more than 70 hours per week - average 10 hours per day. They have to fill out a time sheet to account for every 15 minute time block. The sheet is regarded as a legal form and is initialled by their supervisor. :)

I have read a dozen waiter contracts and am quite good friends with a

handful of people working on ships.

For crew working on ships sailing from north america, 13+ hour days is normal.

Perhaps it is different where you are. It may also vary base on the

country the crew member is from.

I am referring specifically to jobs like waiters. It is certainly different for

officers, staff, and crew with ratings. Most likly crew with ratings are covered

by the agreements you mention.

Also, crew may have to attend training, drills, etc.

These may or may not happen during scheduled duty, so

they may have to actually spend more time including these.

Further, from time to time, nearly every crew member is assigned

to 'in port manning'. This is necessary to ensure that there is a

mimimum crew on board.

So, you may not have a duty scheduled at a time a ship is in port,

but you are not allowed to leave the ship regradless...

Someone posted a link to a waiter contract on something like cruiselaw.

I will see if I can find the link for you.

Edited by pablo222

Someone posted a link to a waiter contract on something like cruiselaw.

I will see if I can find the link for you.

Here ya go...

http://crew-center.com/princess-cruises-crew-wages-details

The 330 or 390 hours per month quoted on the web site are

consistent with what I have read and been told by people working

on board.

Here ya go...

http://crew-center.com/princess-cruises-crew-wages-details

The 330 or 390 hours per month quoted on the web site are

consistent with what I have read and been told by people working

on board.

You have been told by people working on board, whereas I am speaking from personal experience (of working on board).:)

Where did you read that the captain "was in the know the whole time"?:cool:

I am sure he must have been in the "know" as every time we bring something on board we go through the scanner and when our cases are first taken on board again they go through a scanner. That scanner would have picked up the cocaine, whether it was in those cases at the beginning of the cruise or brought on half way through the cruise.

I am sure the Security Officer in charge on board would have immediately notified the Captain as to what they were to do once the cocaine had been found in those cases. As he is the highest authority on board and the ship was working with four different countries of drug enforcement - Canada, U.S., New Zealand and Australia - he would have then worked with those drug enforcement agencies to get the wonderful result that they ended up with. Now to find those that set it up and also those who was going to collect it at this end!

Jennie

I am sure he must have been in the "know" as every time we bring something on board we go through the scanner and when our cases are first taken on board again they go through a scanner. That scanner would have picked up the cocaine, whether it was in those cases at the beginning of the cruise or brought on half way through the cruise.

I am sure the Security Officer in charge on board would have immediately notified the Captain as to what they were to do once the cocaine had been found in those cases. As he is the highest authority on board and the ship was working with four different countries of drug enforcement - Canada, U.S., New Zealand and Australia - he would have then worked with those drug enforcement agencies to get the wonderful result that they ended up with. Now to find those that set it up and also those who was going to collect it at this end!

Jennie

I don't know if the drugs were detected as they were taken on board, but I agree with you that if they were in suitcases and hand luggage, they would have been detected on the scanner. However, there is the possibility that the couriers strapped packages to their bodies and wore a loose shirt to hide them. If this was done in South America, they could easily go ashore a few times bringing drugs back each time. Three people, three trips = 10kg each time. When the ship was in Callao for two days, they could easily have made even more trips ashore. This is all just guessing. :D

We don't know how the drugs were detected, and whether it was a tip-off, but the good this is that they were found. :) The fact that it has been mentioned that police from Canada and USA were involved, leads me to think it was a tip-off and not that it was found as it was taken on the ship. I hope more comes out when the case goes to Court.