The art of poutine - HAL Eastern Canada cruises

OlsSalt

As a Canadian who has sampled more than his share of poutine, I don't think you'll do much better than what they served at the Maasdam's Poutine Bar last September! Hopefully your cruise will have a similar offering.

2i8j6f7.jpg

Not easy to get to. I have worked as a cruise ambassador for SB port stops and unfortunately we are not a town that is easy to get around in on its own.

There will be shuttles that meet the ship (with long lines) that get you into the downtown area, or if you like to walk our "downtown" is very long main street that goes very slightly uphill.

This little Mexican dive gem is way off that beaten path, so you would miss too much if you tried to go there for only one dish.

But you challenge me, what would I tell myself to see and explore on a short SB cruise stop. It is really our physical setting more than anything that is the biggest charm and being at the dock-tender port level and going out to Stearns Wharf - about a 15-20 minute walk away offers some of the best views of the city, beaches and the mountains.

Then the core of our downtown "Historic Arts District" which is about a mile up the main State Street from the wharf is also a must see if you are a first time visitor. The real signature for this town is the Old Mission, now in the heart of a lovely residential district which is really the hard place to get to if you try to use our clunky public transit system.

There is a fairly good system of bike paths. If so inclined you can cover more ground on your own that way. But there is that darn uphill character to State Street, though the bike paths along the beach are level with the wind at your back one way and pushing against it the other way.

We remain more of a nice residential town rather than an obvious tourist spot. Our real charms are more low key here and take going through a few layers over time to get the full experience. Which makes it hard as a resident to tell a visitor what is best to see on a port stop. What kind of shore excursions are they offering?

Thanks for the info on SB. Too bad that the nachos are too far off the beaten track! I'm sorry about the thread drift into SB tourist information, though. That was not my intention when I asked the original question. To answer your question about tours, they're offering Solvang/Wine Tasting, Bike Tour, Whale Watching, Kayaking, Montecito Stars & History, and SB by Trolley. I'm leaning towards the Montecito or the trolley tours but might just end up walking about on our own. The only reason to take a HAL tour would be to use up OBC. We are not doing any tours on the rest of the cruise.

I hope you find more info about poutine. I would still try the Canada/NE forum. There is one Canadian poster (martincath) who is a foodie who posts regularly with wonderful information. I think he would find your question if you post over in that forum.

But my favorite poutine is the Duck Poutine from the Cochon Dingue restaurant on Champlain Street (right by your ship if you are docked at the cruise terminal) . It's thinly cut french fries, curd cheese and pepper gravy, topped with duck confit. It's a more upscale version and very tasty. This is a sit-down restaurant instead of a fast-food place.

I just gained 5 lbs reading that. Sounds like heaven. :D

As a native of the Province of Quebec where poutine was first invented in the 80s (I think), I must admit I am not a fan. But I was a pastry chef actively working in a kitchen when I first heard about it. The initial ingredients of French fries, cheese curds and gravy were readily available but I just couldn't fathom why anyone would eat them together. But that was a common thought for many of the requests that made their way back to the kitchen.

No judgement on my part. I just knew it wasn't for me. My sister who still lives in Montreal says I am crazy and you can get nearly anything on poutine now from the above-mentioned duck to Montreal style smoked meat.

I hope you source a few restaurants to compare and give it a fair chance. Enjoy!

First off, gravy for real poutine should never be made with beef stock--it should be made with veal stock. The velouté should be pale, not dark brown, otherwise the dish tastes of nothing but gravy. Some will go so far as to start with chicken stock--particularly for duck poutines. And, of course, there are vegetarian options that use vegetable stock.

Vegan poutine is to be avoided at all costs, however. There really is no substitute for cheese curds. I have never seen a tofu curd that can match them. I also avoid all poutines with mozarella (although word is that Jarry Smoked Meats does a good one, mozarella notwithstanding. I have had an interesting Indian style poutine made with paneer, though (out here though, not in Montréal)

That being said, Montréal has thoroughly embraced the new styles. Some more noteworthy vendors (totally subjective, my opinion only!)

Au Pied de Cochon - poutine de luxe

Greasy Spoon - selon moi the best smoked meat poutine there is

La Banquaise (or Chez Claudette) - at 4am when you need to prevent the hangover that's on its way

Le Canard Libere duck poutine

Montreal Pool Room just the basics, with a steamie

Some may also like

Decarie Hot Dog a different take on the gravy

Faberge - Breakfast poutine if you didn't get your 4am hit

I cant add anything to this post however...I was just at our state fair this weekend (Minnesota) and they have a Poutine food stand at the fair, they were allowing samples as well. It was French fried potatoes with curds than more a gravy that looked like turkey gravy. But man that place was CRAZY BUSY!!!!!