The art of poutine - HAL Eastern Canada cruises

OlsSalt

Scanning port restaurant menus for our upcoming Montreal to San Diego cruise on the Veendam I came across ...... poutine .... which I once enjoyed immensely in Vancouver Gas Town.

Knowing its origins are more eastern Canada, are their recommendations about the finer points of poutine to look for and special spots where it has been elevated to high art?

I could direct you to some great expressions of nachos out West (Super Cuca's super nacho al pastor in Santa Barbara) - so I know poutine is not much more than beloved "junk food" too. But since it is such a uniquely regional treat I would like to know a bit more about what to look for. TIA.

Edited by OlsSalt

Classic poutine is best made from freshly cut potatoes which are french fried, covered in fresh cheese curds, and then smothered in a thick beef gravy. Enjoy!

Then there are variants of the classic with different types of ingredients such as added pieces of beef or chicken.

While certainly a derivative of classic poutine, if you're stopping in Portland, the Blue Rooster does the "Three Little Pigs", which are tater tots (that's his signature for a lot of dishes), cheese curds, gravy, and then the three pigs: pork belly, bacon, and sausage.

Scanning port restaurant menus for our upcoming Montreal to San Diego cruise on the Veendam I came across ...... poutine .... which I once enjoyed immensely in Vancouver Gas Town.

Knowing its origins are more eastern Canada, are their recommendations about the finer points of poutine to look for and special spots where it has been elevated to high art?

I could direct you to some great expressions of nachos out West - so I (Super Cuca's super nacho al pastor in Santa Barbara)know poutine is not much more than beloved "junk food" too. But since it is such a uniquely regional treat I would like to know a bit more about what to look for. TIA.

Tell me more, please, as we have Santa Barbara as a tender port on our upcoming cruise in October.

Classic poutine is best made from freshly cut potatoes which are french fried, covered in fresh cheese curds, and then smothered in a thick beef gravy. Enjoy!

Then there are variants of the classic with different types of ingredients such as added pieces of beef or chicken.

There are also lobster and pulled pork (not both together) versions of poutine. Didn't Chuck Hughes, a chef from Montreal, win Iron Chef with a lobster poutine?

OP, your best bet would be to ask on the Canada/NE ports forum. There will be some posters there who can better direct you to finer establishments. I had trouble getting beyond the squeaky cheese curds!!

Edited by Alberta Quilter

While certainly a derivative of classic poutine, if you're stopping in Portland, the Blue Rooster does the "Three Little Pigs", which are tater tots (that's his signature for a lot of dishes), cheese curds, gravy, and then the three pigs: pork belly, bacon, and sausage.

OMG:eek: There goes dinner.

Tell me more, please, as we have Santa Barbara as a tender port on our upcoming cruise in October.

Not easy to get to. I have worked as a cruise ambassador for SB port stops and unfortunately we are not a town that is easy to get around in on its own.

There will be shuttles that meet the ship (with long lines) that get you into the downtown area, or if you like to walk our "downtown" is very long main street that goes very slightly uphill.

This little Mexican dive gem is way off that beaten path, so you would miss too much if you tried to go there for only one dish.

But you challenge me, what would I tell myself to see and explore on a short SB cruise stop. It is really our physical setting more than anything that is the biggest charm and being at the dock-tender port level and going out to Stearns Wharf - about a 15-20 minute walk away offers some of the best views of the city, beaches and the mountains.

Then the core of our downtown "Historic Arts District" which is about a mile up the main State Street from the wharf is also a must see if you are a first time visitor. The real signature for this town is the Old Mission, now in the heart of a lovely residential district which is really the hard place to get to if you try to use our clunky public transit system.

There is a fairly good system of bike paths. If so inclined you can cover more ground on your own that way. But there is that darn uphill character to State Street, though the bike paths along the beach are level with the wind at your back one way and pushing against it the other way.

We remain more of a nice residential town rather than an obvious tourist spot. Our real charms are more low key here and take going through a few layers over time to get the full experience. Which makes it hard as a resident to tell a visitor what is best to see on a port stop. What kind of shore excursions are they offering?

Edited by OlsSalt

Excellent hot dogs as well. It's not fancy, but it's a standout in a city with an excellent food scene. If you don't mind walking a few blocks, try Duck Fat on Middle Street. Their fries will hold you over until you get some proper poutine in Quebec. (Get the truffle ketchup.)

Excellent hot dogs as well. It's not fancy, but it's a standout in a city with an excellent food scene. If you don't mind walking a few blocks, try Duck Fat on Middle Street. Their fries will hold you over until you get some proper poutine in Quebec. (Get the truffle ketchup.)

We plan to walk around on our own in Quebec - a poutine crawl could give us a good focus. Thanks for the tips. Of course, it is all about the duck fat - France's secret culinary weapon. And here we thought it was just all the butter .....

Edited by OlsSalt

If you can swing it, La Super-Rica Taquerica on Milpas Street is outstanding. Take cash. Two can stuff themselves for $20. This was Julia Child's favorite taco place. Whenever we're visiting our friends who live in Santa Barbara, we sneak off to lunch there at least twice.

If you can swing it, La Super-Rica Taquerica on Milpas Street is outstanding. Take cash. Two can stuff themselves for $20. This was Julia Child's favorite taco place. Whenever we're visiting our friends who live in Santa Barbara, we sneak off to lunch there at least twice.

Same problem as Super Cuca's - hard to get to because it is off the main tourist path and not much else to see close by. My all time favorite here is the #15 "Tocino" special - melted cheese, bacon, pico de gallo and three of the most divine fresh tortillas. You just made me hungry. Bye!

I'll expand your comments about Julia Child - it was really her favorite fresh, regional authentic Mexican cuisine spot, not just a "taco" place. Which is why their "tacos" are so good if you can stand the circular thinking here. She did a PBS special called "Julia Child's Santa Barbara" where she and the owner spent time exploring the more subtle aspects of regional Mexican cooking and visiting a local "Mexican" super market too.

Edited by OlsSalt

Yes, his dogs are his real signature. Duck Fat's fries are cooked in, you guessed it, duck fat. And for real pork lovers, there's Nosh up on Congress, where the fries are dusted in bacon. Try the fried pig tails.

As you say, we are blessed with an abundance of great food venues. Off to the Grill Room tonight. Probably have the seared duck breast again.

Same problem as Super Cuca's - hard to get to because it is off the main tourist path and not much else to see close by. My all time favorite here is the #15 "Tocino" special - melted cheese, bacon, pico de gallo and three of the most divine fresh tortillas. You just made me hungry. Bye!

I'll expand your comments about Julia Child - it was really her favorite fresh, regional authentic Mexican cuisine spot, not just a "taco" place. Which is why their "tacos" are so good if you can stand the circular thinking here. She did a PBS special called "Julia Child's Santa Barbara" where she and the owner spent time exploring the more subtle aspects of regional Mexican cooking and visiting a local "Mexican" super market too.

Yum.... Love their super nachos. I know that they're off the beaten track, but well worth an Uber. Of course, our idea of the perfect excursion might be a little different than most.

Yum.... Love their super nachos. I know that they're off the beaten track, but well worth an Uber. Of course, our idea of the perfect excursion might be a little different than most.

This pretty much captures the place:

Except we locals try to go on off-hours.

Here you go - local busses from Sea Landing to La Superica: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/SEA+Landing,+301+West+Cabrillo+Boulevard,+Santa+Barbara,+CA+93101/North+Milpas+Street,+Santa+Barbara,+CA+93103/@34.4177918,-119.6996696,14z/am=t/data=!3m1!4b1!4m18!4m17!1m5!1m1!1s0x80e9138b4f1a7355:0xe40b0ee4930fbeb3!2m2!1d-119.6914691!2d34.40829!1m5!1m1!1s0x80e91382e43c735b:0xae67d546ccd0b640!2m2!1d-119.6853872!2d34.4263438!2m3!6e5!7e2!8j1472561760!3e3

Edited by OlsSalt

I am from Quebec City, Canada so I think I can say I know my poutine :D ;)

There are two places I would recommend that are on the touristic path. Ashton which is on Grande-Allée, not far from the parliament building. This is the classic junk food poutine (with or without sausage) that you will find there. It's a real fast food place, nothing fancy whatsoever, but they don't use frozen products, only fresh ones.

A word of caution, their ''regular'' size is HUGE (for me anyway but if you are from the USA portions tend to be bigger so you might not find it as huge as I do). A small-size poutine is a good meal size and they have a baby size if you just want to sample the dish (paired with a roastbeef sandwhich it makes a full meal, I really like their roastbeef burgers too).

But my favorite poutine is the Duck Poutine from the Cochon Dingue restaurant on Champlain Street (right by your ship if you are docked at the cruise terminal) . It's thinly cut french fries, curd cheese and pepper gravy, topped with duck confit. It's a more upscale version and very tasty. This is a sit-down restaurant instead of a fast-food place.

Edited by jp2001

Although I am Canadian - I must confess that I am not a fan of poutine. However, two years ago on a Maasdam Canada-New England (Montreal to Boston) cruise they did have a poutine bar set up on deck one day with every topping imaginable. Passengers seemed to really enjoy it.

Since you will be leaving from Montreal perhaps they will have something similar, as well as the Fiddler's Breakfast, the Prince Edward Island Mussels on deck, and the Prince Edward Island baked potatoes on deck. These are all events that are not to be missed.

DH and I had a taste for Poutine while on the Oosterdam in the Southern Pacific in 2015. Knowing that it was not available we decided to make do. French fries from the Dive In, gravy and grated cheese (not curds) from the Lido and voila - Poutine! It satisfied our cravings.

I was on a Canada/New England cruise on the Veendam two years ago. They did a cooking demonstration to learn how to make poutine. Also, they replaced the nacho bar with a poutine bar one afternoon when we got to Quebec City. It's my understanding that they don't always do it, but you could ask. Now, I'm not saying this is the best poutine ever, but it was kind of fun. I'm not a big poutine fan, so I never did look around for a good place to eat it in port.