Avoiding crowds on the Freedom

Scheduled a Freedom of the Seas cruise for Dec. 2017 with my husband. We learned from our Grandeur Bermuda cruise in June that we are the happiest campers when we can avoid the crowds. We found out all too late that we enjoyed lunch in the MDR, although it didn't hold us over for our late dinner seating, it was a great way to avoid the Windjammer. Going to the Windjammer made me lose faith in humanity a little bit each time, even though I love Windjammer breakfast!

I've only cruised on the smaller ships - Grandeur and Majesty. Freedom will be our biggest by far. Any more tips for how to truly enjoy all the ship has to offer while avoiding crowds (especially on cruising days, as we have two)? Any spots to hang out other than the pool deck? We were big fans of hanging out on the muster deck and reading on the Grandeur.

Any suggestions for avoiding crowds while in port/picking excursions with that in mind? Ports are Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

Edited by majesty2008

Of course nothing beats having your own balcony, but there are alternatives...

I found the solarium wasn't as bad, as long as you don't want a spot near the pool. For that matter any area not around the pool usually has pretty good space. I never really hang out on the muster deck, but every time I've been through there it was fairly quiet.

I am also trying to remember if there are deck chairs on the aft section below the Flowrider? I know it''s a different class of ship, but there were on Explorer.

If indoors is okay, the Viking Crown lounge or whatever they call it now is also a nice quiet spot as is the ship's lounge, although you would want to check the Cruise Compass to see if there are any activities planned.

Edited by TBone2K

We were big fans of hanging out on the muster deck and reading on the Grandeur.

Im a big fan of it too. Deck 4, as Ocean Boy said, is the place. With that said, crowds arent really a big problem on Freedom unless you are around the main theater as a show lets out. It can get a little crowded right before the open the MDR doors too. And of course right around the pool on a sea day.

9eff1751.jpg

Edited by ryano

I'm also a big fan of the Promenade Deck, and we discovered them early on in our cruising experiences. We don't always have a balcony cabin, so the Promenade deck has, on many occasions, served as our own private little oasis of quiet. The least relaxing place, IMO, is any pool deck. Too noisy and waaaaaay too crowded.

Im a big fan of it too. Deck 4, as Ocean Boy said, is the place. With that said, crowds arent really a big problem on Freedom unless you are around the main theater as a show lets out. It can get a little crowded right before the open the MDR doors too. And of course right around the pool on a sea day.

9eff1751.jpg

On the Grandeur we couldn't ever get a seat to sit in the centrum or in the solarium. I figure we'll avoid main pools altogether now. On the majesty, the viking crown is "our spot." On the Grandeur, the promenade deck was "our spot." Someday we'll have to spring for a balcony. We'll have to find out sweet spot on the Freedom!

Any suggestions for avoiding the windjammer? I'm not familiar with anything other than MDR and Windjammer dining options (not looking at ones where we have to pay extra). The Grandeur room service breakfast was tiny! Won't do that again!

On the Grandeur we couldn't ever get a seat to sit in the centrum or in the solarium. I figure we'll avoid main pools altogether now. On the majesty, the viking crown is "our spot." On the Grandeur, the promenade deck was "our spot." Someday we'll have to spring for a balcony. We'll have to find out sweet spot on the Freedom!

Any suggestions for avoiding the windjammer? I'm not familiar with anything other than MDR and Windjammer dining options (not looking at ones where we have to pay extra). The Grandeur room service breakfast was tiny! Won't do that again!

There are the Cafe Promenade and Sorrento's Pizza on the Royal Promenade.

The Promenade deck as indicated is always quiet and uncrowded, and you could also try the helipad forward on deck 5. Olive or Twist, Seven Hearts, and Cloud Nine on deck 14 are usually quiet and not overly crowded as well.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The Promenade deck as indicated is always quiet and uncrowded, and you could also try the helipad forward on deck 5. Olive or Twist, Seven Hearts, and Cloud Nine on deck 14 are usually quiet and not overly crowded as well.

Do they still exist on Freedom?

Edited by Ocean Boy

We found a little spot on Freedom that was great to sit and enjoy the peace and quiet. Not many people seemed to frequent it. It's a little corridor between the solarium and the fitness centre. There's a door from the solarium. I don't think it's on the deck plans because it's basically a passageway with chairs. We had a few naps there with the ocean breeze flowing through. Very relaxing.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

You can go all the way forward on freedom to the bow (just keep going forward, then up a little set of stairs on deck 4), it's so windy you won't have any eyelashes left when you get home, but it was always empty and so so so peaceful and amazing (and I think you CAN get out of the wind if you want to by snuggling in, I'd spend an hour there every day. This is going to be my #1 most missed thing when I cruise on Anthem in Nov (cause you can't get to the bow).

Promenade was all together lovely. We met folks sitting out on that floor but always one at a time, low-key friendly interactions.

What's the bar at the very top? Olive and Twist? It was lovely too, not crowded much of the day, comfy places to just lounge and look out over the beautiful ship and ocean.

You can go all the way forward on freedom to the bow (just keep going forward, then up a little set of stairs on deck 4), it's so windy you won't have any eyelashes left when you get home, but it was always empty and so so so peaceful and amazing (and I think you CAN get out of the wind if you want to by snuggling in, I'd spend an hour there every day. This is going to be my #1 most missed thing when I cruise on Anthem in Nov (cause you can't get to the bow).

Promenade was all together lovely. We met folks sitting out on that floor but always one at a time, low-key friendly interactions.

What's the bar at the very top? Olive and Twist? It was lovely too, not crowded much of the day, comfy places to just lounge and look out over the beautiful ship and ocean.

That is the helipad.

I asked John (on Freedom now) if those rooms were still being used for the scrubber installation, but have not seen any response yet.

I know that on some ships that area has been converted into either specialty dining or the suite lounge.

I know that on some ships that area has been converted into either specialty dining or the suite lounge.

True, I suspect the days of those rooms staying as card/game rooms are numbered. I can't help but think of "your" piano up there.:)

In many ways I find the bigger ships handle the passenger flow much better than the smaller ships.

Love the MDR for breakfast and lunch. If you do go to the windjammer try going a little earlier or later than the norm or larger crowds. For example, lunch at 11:30 or 1:30.

Lots of outdoor places to sit, and empty indoor bars during the day. I think you may be surprised.

.and they SERVE you!

Yep, crusty over done eggs and cold sides to go with them. I will stick to the Egg station in the WJ myself on an RC ship. Ive never had a good breakfast in the MDR and Ive gave it several chances. They cant even cook eggs right. Always good in the WJ though.

Now Carnivals brunch on sea days in the MDR rocks! Huevos Rancheros and a Bloody Mary please!

Edited by ryano

The reason that I like balconies so much is that when I want to get away from the crowds for a while and sit out and relax with a drink or beer I can go there! And I especially love it there late night when I come in from all the activities. I sit out there with a nice breeze and doze off while looking at the stars and the will wake up and go to bed! :cool:

Edited by bigque

Any suggestions for avoiding crowds while in port/picking excursions with that in mind? Ports are Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

For me the only crowd issues on Freedom are when they have the parade or big sales on the promenade. Being that it is just you and your husband, the parade maybe a good thing to miss.

Grand Caymen is a tender port, so if you book an excursion that doesn't require you to be on the first tender, you can delay your departure a little bit to avoid crowds.