Anyone Else Keeping a Wary Eye on Hermine?

bluegiraffe

Hermine is a tropical storm as I write, but expected to be a hurricane soon. Hermine is not my friend, because I'm sitting here in Florida getting pummeled with her rain, and she's expected to be heading up the east coast taking the same path as my cruise on the 7th from NYC. Hmpf! Looks like I'm going to get her coming and going. :mad:

Timing on these weather systems is all kinds of wacky, but I'm wondering at what point HAL decides whether my cruise is a go or no go.

Where is your cruise going? You may feel some motion but predictions are that Hermine will be gone from NYC by Monday afternoon.

I'll hope those predictions hold true. :) We're on the 10 day Canada/New England cruise on the Zuiderdam. NYC to Quebec City with port calls in Gloucester, Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown.

nhc.noaa.gov shows it virtually stalled from Sun AM to Wed AM, but as a "post-tropical" storm. I doubt very much that HAL would cancel a cruise for that, especially since you'll be moving away from it.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/153527.shtml?5-daynl#contents

Edited by catl331

We're staying on the barrier beach - South Shore of Long Island and keeping an eye on things. It should weaken as it moves over land until exiting North Carolina . These storms rarely survive much time over land. We may have to evacuate to mainland Sunday if it picks up -- but certainly by the 7th there should be no problem with a sailing from NY - possibly some interesting seas - but they usually flatten fairly soon after a storm passes.

catl331 and navybankerteacher, what's the saying? "from your lips to God's ear"? :)

I can manage a hurricane on land - as a Floridian I've been through 6 of them - but being on the seas during stormy weather? **shudder** Looks like I'll just hope that Hermine stays out of our way.

Good luck, navybankerteacher. Evacuating is no fun, but vastly better than riding it out.

Edited by bluegiraffe

We're staying on the barrier beach - South Shore of Long Island and keeping an eye on things. It should weaken as it moves over land until exiting North Carolina . These storms rarely survive much time over land. We may have to evacuate to mainland Sunday if it picks up -- but certainly by the 7th there should be no problem with a sailing from NY - possibly some interesting seas - but they usually flatten fairly soon after a storm passes.

You could have storm surge issues on the South Shore. And you're probably already seeing rip currents.

"Interesting seas" I like that!

I just hope the CC members wishing for summer Caribbean itineraries are paying attention. Primarily those who poo-poo'd my remarks on storms being a concern of the cruise lines. Yeah, I'm going to say "I told you so!"

All kidding aside, our prayers and best wishes are with those who are, or will be dealing with Hermine in the coming days.

bb

Where is your cruise going? You may feel some motion but predictions are that Hermine will be gone from NYC by Monday afternoon.

Oh no! The forecast has radically changed since I posted yesterday. Now the entire coast of New Jersey, Lower Manhattan (Battery Park area) and Long Island have tropical storm warnings! As of now, they are predicting possible 75 mph winds and a strong storm surge through Wednesday.

Hermine is passing as I'm posting this from Columbia, SC (100 miles inland).

While now a strong tropical storm and we've seen worse but still heavy rain and gusts of strong wind. Lot's of flooding and power outages.

Seems the big threat is when Hermine once again hits the open ocean, it will regain hurricane strength and cause problems for NE departures/returns.

They do the best to predict but they are so unpredictable......may pick up speed a different direction or just poop out.....mother nature is full of surprises! I hope she surprises you in your favor and /or minimally just so the ship can be navigated out of her way!

Be open to just go no matter where the captain can take you;)

We're currently on the edge of Hermine in central North Carolina. My friends on the coast are having it much worse with heavy rain, power outages, and strong winds. It seems like a lot of our tropical storms hit during the night, so we won't find out about a lot of the damage in my state until morning.

I guess the good news for HAL cruisers is that most of their ships are not in the path of the storm--and most HAL cruisers won't have to deal with airline cancellations. USA Today reported just 180 today as of three hours ago.

Oh no! The forecast has radically changed since I posted yesterday. Now the entire coast of New Jersey, Lower Manhattan (Battery Park area) and Long Island have tropical storm warnings! As of now, they are predicting possible 75 mph winds and a strong storm surge through Wednesday.

The big problem is the slowdown, which will keep the storm in place through several high tide cycles, which is when the worst flooding occurs. But if the storm were to move faster, it would be going northeast (probably) while Zuiderdam heads southwest toward New York. One way or the other, someone is going to have a rough ride.

It seems like a lot of our tropical storms hit during the night,
Maybe it "seems" that way, but if I'm sure if you looked at past data you'd find it isn't true. Whenever it's a night storm for you it's a day storm for those north and south of you, where it also may "seem" to hit during the night most often. I think storms are just scarier during the night, so we remember them more vividly. ;);)

Edited by jtl513

Bless you all who are in the path of the storm, any storms...in the ship, I am sure the Cap'tn will keep you entertained and fed very well...Bless also those who are on land having to deal with it.

Hubby and I are keeping all of you in our prayers as well as our friends who just experienced this storm when it was in Cedar Key where they live.

Our sympathies to those in Florida who have been hit very badly by this hurricane/storm.

They are having a hard time predicting it's path so here's hoping it doesn't stall and keeps moving along....out to sea.

We're watching as well.