Are price drops on NA due to CAD$ exchange adjustments?

OVgirl

Just checking the pricing of Nieuw Amsterdam cruises for February 2017 and noticed a dramatic price drop across the board. The suites especially have dropped, somewhere in the range of $1,500 CAD for a 14 day cruise.

Since I'm only seeing the pricing in Canadian $, I was wondering if the pricing in US currency has also dropped.

Some of these prices will make it worth your while to book with the Explore4 promo as well.

If you've been looking at cruises in February, it might be worth checking out. Including the other ships in the Caribbean too.

Just checking the pricing of Nieuw Amsterdam cruises for February 2017 and noticed a dramatic price drop across the board. The suites especially have dropped, somewhere in the range of $1,500 CAD for a 14 day cruise.

Since I'm only seeing the pricing in Canadian $, I was wondering if the pricing in US currency has also dropped.

Some of these prices will make it worth your while to book with the Explore4 promo as well.

If you've been looking at cruises in February, it might be worth checking out. Including the other ships in the Caribbean too.

I can't see these prices, are they on the Hal sight? What date? Sounds like an awesome deal!

The Nieuw Amsterdam has two 14-day cruises listed for February 2017 and the lowest priced suite is $5199 pp in both cases. Even an interior is $2599 and up. Maybe there was a temporary glitch on the website when you saw that price OVgirl.

The Nieuw Amsterdam has two 14-day cruises listed on HAL's website for February 2017 and the lowest priced suite is $5199 pp in both cases. Even an interior is $2599 and up. Maybe there was a temporary glitch on the website when you saw that price, OVgirl.

I should wait for OVGirl to reply, but I think she meant the DROP was C$1500.

The Canadian dollar was making new lows on international exchange markets 6 months ago. I'm *so glad* it "corrected" before I made my final payment in US$ which I exchanged from C$.

So: it could be those US$5200 suites were priced C$8300 on the HAL site - based on those horrible rates in February - and have dropped to C$6800.

And, that the US$ price has stayed stable.

(PS: I once saved C$3000 on a cruise by guessing the "loonie" would soon tank by booking a year ahead in C$. I've also saved a ton booking in US$ when I expected a big market correction on the "real" dollar. I think Canadians are the only nationality who can <roll eyes> play the money markets when booking a cruise by choosing their currency.)

Edited by fann1sh

I should wait for OVGirl to reply, but I think she meant the DROP was C$1500.

The Canadian dollar was making new lows on international exchange markets 6 months ago. I'm *so glad* it "corrected" before I made my final payment in US$ which I exchanged from C$.

So: it could be those US$5200 suites were priced C$8300 on the HAL site - based on those horrible rates in February - and have dropped to C$6800.

And, that the US$ price has stayed stable.

(PS: I once saved C$3000 on a cruise by guessing the "loonie" would soon tank by booking a year ahead in C$. I've also saved a ton booking in US$ when I expected a big market correction on the "real" dollar. I think Canadians are the only nationality who can <roll eyes> play the money markets when booking a cruise by choosing their currency.)

Yes it was a $1500 drop in price. Thanks. The SA price went from $7668pp to $5978pp in CAD funds.

Edited by OVgirl

I can't see these prices, are they on the Hal sight? What date? Sounds like an awesome deal!

You have to go all the way inside the booking pages. The price that shows on the first couple of pages are still high. It's when you pick the stateroom category, that it shows much lower pricing.

Could be a glitch but it's been there all day.

Here's a link for Feb. 19 -14 days. Hope it works.

https://book2.hollandamerica.com/hal-ws/build/index.html#/?token=efv93vjra6io4nhbtimtglahlq

Looks like the other NA cruises in February are also reduced. I don't know about the other ships, as I haven't been following their prices.

Edited by OVgirl

$5978pp in CAD funds for 14 day in a SA?!!?

With Explore4?!!?

WOW!

That's US$4560 at current rates. Someone in Seattle is betting on a strong loonie, or a weak buck. Or giving Canadians a BIG incentive!

Edited by fann1sh

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. I have been checking fairly regularly, but we are away on a short vacation, so have not checked in a few days. I have emaiked our TA and asked him to check it out, as it is just before final payment date. Much appreciated!

Just checked the HAL web site for our New Years cruise on the Eurodam & all cabin cat. went up by as much as Cda $2000.00 - $2500, sure glad we booked when we did. And this is after a price drop.

Allan

$5978pp in CAD funds for 14 day in a SA?!!?

With Explore4?!!?

WOW!

That's US$4560 at current rates. Someone in Seattle is betting on a strong loonie, or a weak buck. Or giving Canadians a BIG incentive!

OR they have made a mistake on their website ;). It has happened.

Prices dropped on our Maasdam cruise we took a couple of years ago and I went to grab the S category. HAL had made a mistake and adjusted the price but not before the screenshots had been done. They honoured the price and we got a great deal ;)

Loonie has not improved enough to justify this price.

In fact our upcoming cruise price has gone up by a LOT.

Edited by kazu

The Nieuw Amsterdam has two 14-day cruises listed for February 2017 and the lowest priced suite is $5199 pp in both cases. Even an interior is $2599 and up. Maybe there was a temporary glitch on the website when you saw that price OVgirl.

We suspect you are looking at HAL's own web site where one will generally get the highest prices :). So we just pulled up one of our favorite cruise agency sites and looked at a Feb 19th 14 day cruise (NA) and Signature Suites start at $2199 pp with Neptune Suites starting at $2899 pp. Taxes and fees are about $253 pp. We found these prices without even shopping around for a good deal...and suspect one could get them on "better terms." These prices are in US dolllars...and as always we suggest that cruisers shop around for the best deals.

Hank

Following up on my comment yesterday, our TA just emailed me to tell us that HAL has applied the new pricing to our cruise, a savings of just over C$500.00. Great news just before our final payment is due, so thanks again to the OP!

Following up on my comment yesterday, our TA just emailed me to tell us that HAL has applied the new pricing to our cruise, a savings of just over C$500.00. Great news just before our final payment is due, so thanks again to the OP!

Glad you were able to get some savings. Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending how you look at it) we booked a a year ago and the prices haven't dropped any lower than what we paid. But of course, we are still happy campers.