Cruise repriced taxes question

Lorey2007

Had my cruise repriced with the 2nd guest half off the savings is $1000. When I got my invoice I saw they did not reduce the taxes when I called back the rep said they don't do that on repriced reservations. When I have done this on other cruise lines the taxes were always adjusted. Is this correct?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The port charges, fees & taxes are not based on the amount of the cruise fare. They are dependent on what the cruise line has to pay to various ports for docking. An travel blog gives the following examples:

tolls

•ship inspections

•local harbor pilots

•air, hotel or VAT taxes incurred as part of a land excursion

•immigration and naturalization costs

•Internal Revenue Service charges

•baggage handling at embarkation and disembarkation ports

•security services.

All of these obligations are calculated on a per ton or per vessel basis, and the cruise lines spread the expense across a ship’s total number of passengers. While no cruise line will breakdown exactly how much of the fee is going toward what specific charge, the total costs for government fees and port charges are typically less than 20 percent of the base cruise fare — though they can be as high as 50 percent in some cases.

Every one on the cruise is assessed a % of the cruise lines total costs so it does not matter if you book the cheapest inside cabin or the penthouse suite.

Port taxes & fees can change often but if they go up from what was quoted when you booked you do not get charged the increase. When the actual costs go down we have received the difference back on our on-board account as a credit. It have never been much $4-8 per person.

The port charges, fees & taxes are not based on the amount of the cruise fare. They are dependent on what the cruise line has to pay to various ports for docking. An travel blog gives the following examples:

tolls

•ship inspections

•local harbor pilots

•air, hotel or VAT taxes incurred as part of a land excursion

•immigration and naturalization costs

•Internal Revenue Service charges

•baggage handling at embarkation and disembarkation ports

•security services.

All of these obligations are calculated on a per ton or per vessel basis, and the cruise lines spread the expense across a ship’s total number of passengers. While no cruise line will breakdown exactly how much of the fee is going toward what specific charge, the total costs for government fees and port charges are typically less than 20 percent of the base cruise fare — though they can be as high as 50 percent in some cases.

Every one on the cruise is assessed a % of the cruise lines total costs so it does not matter if you book the cheapest inside cabin or the penthouse suite.

Thanks for the info I've done a lot of price reductions on a lot of the cruises we've taken and it always seemed it made a difference in the taxes. I'm happy with the reduction I got.:)

We have a cruise booked for January and must have got a good deal because when I went and did the new 1/2 off 2nd guest it was actually more than what we paid originally this is even adding in the upgrade to premium and gratuities.

Yes they inflate the price of the cruise then toss in Internet which to me is no perk.

At least for us but I'm sure some people like the Internet on a cruise.

I looked into re-pricing a cruise and going with a big box TA instead of where it is booked with Celebrity. I noticed that the taxes, port, etc. have gone up $20 pp from where I booked the cruise 3 weeks ago. :eek: I don't know if the TA is pricing them up, or if they have really gone up.

UPDATE: Think I just answered my own question. I checked Celebrity and the tax & port is still $111 pp. I also checked another TA site. It's $111. The big box site says $133 pp. :rolleyes:

Edited by Iamthesea

I looked into re-pricing a cruise and going with a big box TA instead of where it is booked with Celebrity. I noticed that the taxes, port, etc. have gone up $20 pp from where I booked the cruise 3 weeks ago. :eek: I don't know if the TA is pricing them up, or if they have really gone up.

UPDATE: Think I just answered my own question. I checked Celebrity and the tax & port is still $111 pp. I also checked another TA site. It's $111. The big box site says $133 pp. :rolleyes:

I would call and ask why the difference. I have never had a problem getting an adjustment when there is a discrepancy between the X site & a TA site.

I have 2 cruises booked and both are currently showing port fee & taxes for $21 pp ($42 each cruise) less than I booked at. If that turns out to be the actual cost then I will get a credit of the ship. Have that happened on about 14-15 cruises.