Zuiderdam skipping Halifax call

Wehwalt

Thanks for keeping us posted. That Zuiderdam North Atlantic cruise was on my "want to" list, but couldn't do it. Rough seas may not be pleasant, but an overnight in NYC would be nice. Especially if they dock close to Times Square and the theater district.

I didn't think the Zuiderdam was capable of 23 knots. Maybe with enough tail wind??? A good reason to have extra power for moving out of the storms. Fuel, too.

Thanks for keeping us posted. That Zuiderdam North Atlantic cruise was on my "want to" list, but couldn't do it. Rough seas may not be pleasant, but an overnight in NYC would be nice. Especially if they dock close to Times Square and the theater district.

I didn't think the Zuiderdam was capable of 23 knots. Maybe with enough tail wind??? A good reason to have extra power for moving out of the storms. Fuel, too.

Pretty sure it was wind-aided, or else the data that goes to the cabin TVs isn't perfect.

Yes, I'm going to take the night in NYC. Front desk said that on Wed, you pick up your bags, show your passport and maybe the form to customs, and go.

Trip's been pretty good. Weather's been excellent, until this. Very little rain. But I'm not tempted to do this again anytime soon, I mean the Greenland-Iceland thing. At least not on a cruise.

I have two Aussie friends on board and really appreciate the updates. They have already had 2 previous cruises disrupted by hurricanes - they missed Puerto Vallerta both times. But this sounds a lot rougher. Y'all have good stories to tell.

Amazing and really interesting website. Thanks very much for posting, it's now one of my favorites.

No prob! It's a good one! You can enter your ship's name in the upper right box called "vessel/port" and that ship's current info will pop up with a box on the lower left that gives you her "latest position" with an option to "show her live on the map"

I have two Aussie friends on board and really appreciate the updates. They have already had 2 previous cruises disrupted by hurricanes - they missed Puerto Vallerta both times. But this sounds a lot rougher. Y'all have good stories to tell.

I sure hope I'm not on their next cruise! That's some bad luck! :eek:

My clients reported excellent weather up until this storm. Their pictures from Iceland were beautiful - clear, sunny, and as unique as you'd expect from such an incredible place.

Still getting those forceful winds from starboard but no real change. We should be arriving in port early tomorrow, and there is mandatory immigration for all. I will probably wait until Wednesday to disembark.

Pretty sure it was wind-aided, or else the data that goes to the cabin TVs isn't perfect.

Yes, I'm going to take the night in NYC. Front desk said that on Wed, you pick up your bags, show your passport and maybe the form to customs, and go.

Trip's been pretty good. Weather's been excellent, until this. Very little rain. But I'm not tempted to do this again anytime soon, I mean the Greenland-Iceland thing. At least not on a cruise.

Appreciate you taking the time to keep us updated on everything -- ship -- storm -- what is happening.

We’re still getting wind velocities above hurricane force, I saw 91 on the screen and photographed it saying 86. However it is plainly not giving us a hard time as regards bad motion. Looks like we are south of the tip of Long Island now. People seem to be getting around OK. Seemed a full muster at pub trivia, which the team I’m on, HAL Fanatics (some of you may know who else that means is on the team) won by two points, thus clinching a winning record for the 29 days for myself and also one of my teammates, and we won the cumulative by 29 points over the nearest rival. Fortunate choice of teammates. Prize is a round of drinks which we will have tomorrow night. Oh, and the recognition of our shipmates.

We're still just making 12 knots or so which I imagine is to get us to the pilot's station at the appropriate time. Course is 287. Wind is still coming at us at almost right angles.

Edited by Wehwalt

We’re still getting wind velocities above hurricane force, I saw 91 on the screen and photographed it saying 86. However it is plainly not giving us a hard time as regards bad motion. Looks like we are south of the tip of Long Island now. People seem to be getting around OK. Seemed a full muster at pub trivia, which the team I’m on, HAL Fanatics (some of you may know who else that means is on the team) won by two points, thus clinching a winning record for the 29 days for myself and also one of my teammates, and we won the cumulative by 29 points over the nearest rival. Fortunate choice of teammates. Prize is a round of drinks which we will have tomorrow night. Oh, and the recognition of our shipmates.

We're still just making 12 knots or so which I imagine is to get us to the pilot's station at the appropriate time. Course is 287. Wind is still coming at us at almost right angles.

ZUDM now shows south of Long island, NY, still heading west at 12.5 kts, following Maersk Ohio in, who is going to Newark, NJ

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-73/centery:41/zoom:8

Edited by Copper10-8

ZUDM now shows south of Long island, NY, still heading west at 12.5 kts, following Maersk Ohio in, who is going to Newark, NJ

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-73/centery:41/zoom:8

Looks like we are approaching the Nassau County/NYC line (extended southwards). Still winds of 44 mph from the north. Signing out as the only drama remaining is how good a shot of the Statue of Liberty the people on the port side will get. I've heard of no injuries. Thanks all for your good wishes. In the final analysis it was an interesting day at sea.

Edited by Wehwalt

Looks like we are approaching the Nassau County/NYC line (extended southwards). Still winds of 44 mph from the north. Signing out as the only drama remaining is how good a shot of the Statue of Liberty the people on the port side will get. I've heard of no injuries. Thanks all for your good wishes. In the final analysis it was an interesting day at sea.

Enjoy the Big Apple and safe travels home! Thanks for reporting in

So glad you are getting in safely :)

And congrats on keeping your Trivia record intact :)

Thank you for keeping us up to date and safe travels.

Some of us "locals" opted to disembark today rather than overnight in NYC . Very smooth US CBP process and we were home before 11 am. Kudos to the Shore Excursion team for quickly pulling together some options for those overnighting. While we were waiting for our driver, we saw many guests happily piling on excursion buses or clutching maps to head off for an unexpected, exciting day exploring the City. Great job by Captain Bart Vaartes and crew to get Zuiderdam and all aboard safely to port.

The staff did an outstanding job for those of us who stayed overnight. They credited us for the missed shore excursion in Halifax, and then arranged for a bus-water taxi-walking tour. We went to the water taxi pier via a bus, then took the water taxi to Battery Park and did a walking tour of lower Manhattan. Since we had been to Halifax twice before, and had never been to that part of Manhattan, it worked out better for us. As one guest said, we had the cheapest hotel in Manhattan.

We thought that the service on the Zuiderdam was about the best we have had on any of our 11 cruises.