Zuiderdam skipping Halifax call

Wehwalt

Sorry you are missing Halifax as it is a nice port of call but i am a crew member on a Canadian ship and. Better be safe than sorry. As long as your port charges and taxes for this port are refunded, all is in your Best interest.

Edited by jp2001

I'm on the Zuiderdam. We just had an announcement that due to the storm we are skipping the Halifax call Monday and will arrive in New York on Tuesday in advance of our scheduled arrival Wednesday.

Prudent call, thanks for letting us know

So..........can the passengers stay on the ship until Wed.?

Yes, in fact it is my experience that a day-before arrival makes for a less hectic disembarkation.

We haven't gotten an arrival time or any details other than the single announcement, but it is 5:22 a.m. so I wouldn't expect anything just yet. I imagine the printing presses are busy.

I was monitoring the forecasts and it looked to me to be a call between easing past a stronger storm further south and a weaker storm further north. I agree it was a sound call. I have been to Halifax two or three times from the land side and my only plans were to go over to the Dartmouth side and wander around and have lunch. I'll take Manhattan.

Not the least bit surprised. They are calling for storm surges in Nova Scotia and while it is difficult to predict these storms, the warnings are out.

Glad the captain is trying to get you away from path of the storm. Hope you have smooth seas to New York and arrive before the storm.

Edited by kazu

Staying safe is the most important thing

Oh yes.

Staterooms got a letter saying basically the announcement, plus what you'd expect, shorex cancelled, port charges to be refunded. No word on our arrival time and all that, but I'd expect it to be rough as we turn west towards New York near Long Island.

The Veendam seems to be sailing ahead of the storm, arriving today at Bar Harbor at 0622 local time. It is also scheduled to call at Halifax tomorrow but I wonder if it will skip ahead to Sydney to remain ahead?

Since VEDM is ahead of Hermine and going north, as opposed to ZUDM which is heading south into the weather, I have a feeling that she (VEDM) will continue with her itinerary of Halifax tomorrow, Sydney on Tuesday and then "turn the corner" into the Gulf of St. Lawrence and do Charlottetown on Wednesday, staying ahead of that bad girl

We're going like a bat out of hell, 21 knots average per the noon announcement, which also warned we will have rough weather tonight and tomorrow, asked us to secure loose objects etc. I had heard there was no guarantee we will be cleared Tuesday but they are issuing shore excursion flyers so we shall see.

We're going like a bat out of hell, 21 knots average per the noon announcement, which also warned we will have rough weather tonight and tomorrow, asked us to secure loose objects etc. I had heard there was no guarantee we will be cleared Tuesday but they are issuing shore excursion flyers so we shall see.

Good luck to you and all on board. Stay safe.

Monday is a holiday, so it's more difficult to organize last-minute changes. But they should be able to get Immigration officers over to the the ship to clear you on Tuesday.

I wish you smooth sailing, or the smoothest possible, in this case. And remember to use handrails if it gets rough. Remember the cardinal rule of rough weather--one hand for you, one hand for the ship.

Oh my stay safe Zuiderdam!

TONIGHT

E WINDS 40 TO 55 KT. SEAS 17 TO 30 FT. SCATTERED SHOWERS

AND ISOLATED TSTMS WITH VSBY 1 NM OR LESS.

MON

E TO SE WINDS 40 TO 55 KT. SEAS SUBSIDING TO 14 TO 28 FT.

NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND ISOLATED TSTMS WITH VSBY 1 NM OR LESS.

MON NIGHT

SE WINDS 40 TO 50 KT. SEAS 15 TO 25 FT. SCATTERED

SHOWERS AND ISOLATED TSTMS WITH VSBY 1 NM OR LESS.

They did warn about 10-15 meter seas, but that was noon yesterday. Right now it is 3:30 am (we had our last time change last night). We're about even with the south coast of Rhode Island but far east, still south of the tip of Nova Scotia (people who are interested can get the latitude and longitude online). Warm, 66 degrees out. Seas are starting to pick up as we "turn the corner" and start to begin our run west. Still not too bad, rather choppy and per the TV winds are at 36 mph from the east. Ship is jerking a little bit. Average age of passenger is 71! I don't plan to do much today except trivia at 1 and 7, meals, and packing so I will mostly wait it out in 7111, my cabin.

I mean they warned at noon yesterday we might see 10 to 15 meter seas tonight/this morning.

I am told from those who attended officer talks that the plan was to get as far south as possible, then turn west, which we are doing, thus we spend less time in the bad stuff even though we take a longer course.

Starting to feel some up and down motion for the first time. Winds are up to 43 mph. Our course is 246. Speed 21.5 knots.

I mean they warned at noon yesterday we might see 10 to 15 meter seas tonight/this morning.

I am told from those who attended officer talks that the plan was to get as far south as possible, then turn west, which we are doing, thus we spend less time in the bad stuff even though we take a longer course.

Starting to feel some up and down motion for the first time. Winds are up to 43 mph. Our course is 246. Speed 21.5 knots.

Thanks for the update. Going as far south as possible was a very wise move by your captain. You are really moving!

Good luck and hope you don't get thrown around while packing.

6 am. Still hasn't been that rough, but winds are now 56 knots and have shifted to southwest, and we're on 246 so we are going almost into the wind and we're making 22.6 knots. Getting light outside. Nothing really dramatic. I hope the people who know I'm on a ship don't think I'm on the Anthem, I just saw coverage on the news.