APT river cruises

Rhonbru

http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/memberreviews/apt-cruises/cl/ have a look here. many reviews. we have travelled with them but not a European river cruise. we have done 8 with a different provider but will be doing 1 with them later this year.

it will be interesting to compare service delivery. I of the reviews was a little strange alleging the ship was not the 1 promised. it had no fridge in the cabin and claimed the drinks were watered down the 2nd week??

its a nice way to travel in Europe especially after the long flight from oz. we are trying Qatar business this time because their new planes have better seating than emirates. time will tell.

happy cruising.

APT is marketed in Australia and New Zealand and I am not sure if you could book them from Europe easily. I would like to as they have a slightly different set of excursions on their Amsterdam to Budapest itinerary. I have seen the ships pass by on the Rhine and they do look nice. I like their royalty theme on some itineraries and the fact that they are the only ones that go to Namedy castle at Andernach. On tripadvisor you can read a little about this: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g319766-d3590421-Reviews-Castle_Namedy-Andernach_Rhineland_Palatinate.html As Heide von Hohenzollern is the godmother of the AmaReina there is an exclusive agreement between her and APT. No other river cruise company does this excursion. Castle Namedy is nice (not spectacular), I live within easy driving distance and have been there a few times.

I am sure APT delivers a very good product.

Have fun planning your trip and a great cruise.

notamermaid

We did our Vietnam/Cambodia Mekong River cruise with APT. It was difficult to book them from the USA, but they were the only company that offered an upper and lower Mekong cruise combined. Unfortunately, the upper Mekong cruise was canceled because the ship got damaged a few weeks before our trip. The lower Mekong was done on the AmaLotus.

Service and guides were excellent, especially their guide Bik for Hanoi and Halong Bay. Tips were included in the price, so we didn't have to keep money ready every day. The guides said APT pays them better than other companies. Our fellow travelers were mainly Australians with a few Kiwis and Brits thrown in.

notamermaid,

I am looking at a Middle Rhine day cruise right now + a visit to a castle. Our adult kids are with us and want to visit a medieval castle sitting on a hill overlooking the Rhine. Is Marksburg the one to see? We will probably stay in Boppard.

Hello Floridiana,

happy to help with the day trip question. Here on CC we have had similar questions regarding day trips on the Rhine and I think it might be good if you could repost your enquire in the thread on the Rhine. It could interest several people. Hope to "see" you there soon.

notamermaid

APT is an Australian travel company whose European river cruises are on AMA ships. In 2005, APT became a co-owner of AMA.

For comments on this board about their European cruises, one should look for AMA.

This is correct - it will be on AMA ships. I think half of my ship had APT passengers. They thought the ship was going to be labeled "APT" - they didn't do a very good job telling their passengers it was going to be an AMA ship.

We have had two great cruises with APT, one in Europe (on the AMA Reina ) and one on the Mekong (on the AMA Dara ).

The line does not market in the USA but does in Canada, as well as Australia, New Zealand and the UK. Majority of passengers will be Aussies, who we found to be great travelling companions. On both of our trips, the boat was entirely dedicated to APT passengers. Interstingly, our maitre d' in Europe explained that whilst the crew and thus service standards were the same, there were differences between the two operators, including menu differences. APT use their own cruise managers and all tours are included, no optional ones ever. The price on our trips was absolutely all inclusive and our only additional spend was for a drink or ice cream ashore.

In Europe and the Mekong APT always use AMA boats.

Hope this helps.

We have had two great cruises with APT, one in Europe (on the AMA Reina ) and one on the Mekong (on the AMA Dara ).

The line does not market in the USA but does in Canada, as well as Australia, New Zealand and the UK. Majority of passengers will be Aussies, who we found to be great travelling companions. On both of our trips, the boat was entirely dedicated to APT passengers. Interstingly, our maitre d' in Europe explained that whilst the crew and thus service standards were the same, there were differences between the two operators, including menu differences. APT use their own cruise managers and all tours are included, no optional ones ever. The price on our trips was absolutely all inclusive and our only additional spend was for a drink or ice cream ashore.

In Europe and the Mekong APT always use AMA boats.

Hope this helps.

On our ship in Russia - it was half APT passengers. You are right though - APT had more included excursions than we did. They did not have the optional tours - which was sort of odd as sometimes we had a choice and they did not. They also had their own busses. So 2 busses were for APT people and the other 2 busses were for "everyone else".

Thanks for pointing that out as that was true on our trip.

On our ship in Russia - it was half APT passengers. You are right though - APT had more included excursions than we did. They did not have the optional tours - which was sort of odd as sometimes we had a choice and they did not. They also had their own busses. So 2 busses were for APT people and the other 2 busses were for "everyone else".

Thanks for pointing that out as that was true on our trip.

I think that in Russia all river cruise operators are required to use locally crewed and operated boats (similar to China as well ). Also, I think that APT withdrew from Russia and have only just resumed operating there. If insufficient bookings were made, then it makes very good sense for APT and AMA to share the boat.

In Europe there were tour choices in some ports but not in all. However, never any additional cost tours.

Incidentally Coral, your screen name seems familiar...are you like me, a recent river cruise traveller, having previously been a regular ocean cruiser ?.

Edited by kool kruiser

I think that in Russia all river cruise operators are required to use locally crewed and operated boats (similar to China as well ). Also, I think that APT withdrew from Russia and have only just resumed operating there. If insufficient bookings were made, then it makes very good sense for APT and AMA to share the boat.

In Europe there were tour choices in some ports but not in all. However, never any additional cost tours.

Incidentally Coral, your screen name seems familiar...are you like me, a recent river cruise traveller, having previously been a regular ocean cruiser ?.

Ironically Viking is the exception (in Russia). They own their ships and staff their ship with their own employees.

I know AMA withdrew from Russia so I assume APT did also.

I hang out on the Princess boards but am planning another river cruise for next fall.

I was on the AmaCello in August. This ship was only being used by APT for this year. AmaWaterways was using the AmaDagio which will be replaced by the AmaCello next year.

On the Seine, APT was using the Ama Legro. APT had four dates for exclusive use this year.

In Myanmar APT now has it own ship RV Samatha. Also in Cambodia, it uses the Ama Lotus exclusively. AmaWaterways uses the AmaDara, unlike previously years when they shared.

We cruised with APT November 2014 Amsterdam to Basel then Lyon to Arles. Really enjoyed our cruise loved the food and yes all drinks supplied. Didn't have to spend anything else on the ship. Looked after us so well that we have now booked with them to do Myanmar Irrawaddy cruise all inclusive on the RV Samatha in March 2017. I know we won't have to spend another cent as everything is included. Luxury Plus.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Ironically Viking is the exception (in Russia). They own their ships and staff their ship with their own employees.

I know AMA withdrew from Russia so I assume APT did also.

I hang out on the Princess boards but am planning another river cruise for next fall.

I too previously contributed on the Princess board but have not done so recently, as I have been on two APT trips, both superb in all respects. Planning China with them for 2017.

Good to make the connection.

We cruised with APT November 2014 Amsterdam to Basel then Lyon to Arles. Really enjoyed our cruise loved the food and yes all drinks supplied. Didn't have to spend anything else on the ship. Looked after us so well that we have now booked with them to do Myanmar Irrawaddy cruise all inclusive on the RV Samatha in March 2017. I know we won't have to spend another cent as everything is included. Luxury Plus.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Absolutely. Add on land-based tours in Vietnam and Cambodia were too

apt has booked us flights with singapore airlines we leave budapest and get to frankfurt at 11.10 and get another flight also singapore airlines at 12.30 to singapore....I was a little worried about the quick turnover has anyone had this problem and how did it go.

Frankfurt airport I have found to be very efficient.

thanks for answering but do you think we will have time to get off the flight and get to the other flight on time, I am persuming our baggage is booked thru so we won't have to pick up our suit cases , we were told by the travel agent that it is singapore airlines responsibility to make sure we catch the flight as the tickets were booked thru them and if the plane is late and we don't make the flight , singapore airlines will get us on another flight....but it still a worry, luckily it is on our way home so won't affect our holiday

thanks for answering but do you think we will have time to get off the flight and get to the other flight on time, I am persuming our baggage is booked thru so we won't have to pick up our suit cases , we were told by the travel agent that it is singapore airlines responsibility to make sure we catch the flight as the tickets were booked thru them and if the plane is late and we don't make the flight , singapore airlines will get us on another flight....but it still a worry, luckily it is on our way home so won't affect our holiday

If they are both Singapore airlines and they know you have landed (even a bit late) they will make every effort to get you on the flight. They are likely in the same wing and it might be a very short walk between gates. I have occasionally had to tun between gates but I have never missed a connection.

Since you are on your way home and missing the flight (or your luggage not making the connection) won't affect your vacation I say go for it. What is the alternative? Spending at least a few more hours at the airport or having the expense of leaving the airport, going to a hotel coming back and going through security again.

Edited by gnome12

we have flown into Frankfurt with Singapore airlines and then on to Vienna with Lufthansa, Singapore airlines codeshare with Lufthansa. our connection was not as tight but you should be ok. you will need to go to immigration because you will be leaving the EU in Frankfurt onto Singapore. and of course go through security.

it is a large airport and can be confusing but follow the signs and ask the staff for directions if concerned.

we like Singapore airlines but on our next trip we want to fly with only 1 stop from oz to Budapest. Singapore always transits via Frankfurt to Vienna/Budapest so we looked at other options like Qatar or Emirates.

have a good trip.