How to SUCCESSFULLY Make a 7:50A Flight on Disembark Day - Allure/Port Everglades

Nado44

As experienced cruisers, we know not to book early am flights on disembarkation day. However, due to an involuntary airline schedule change and other circumstances, we have no choice but to book a 7:50A flight out of FLL. Rebooking our cruise, flying out of MIA, taking a later flight or overnighting are not options at this point. We will also be packing light and traveling with only carry-on bags.

What else should one do or consider on disembarkation day in order to make the beeline?

Night Before: Pack Standard Sized Carry-On Bags

5:30A - Mobile Check-In via phone

6:00A - Line up for Self-Disembark

6:30A - Disembark

6:40A - Global Entry/Passport Control

6:45A - Taxi from Port Everglades to FLL Airport

7:00A - Check in Bags up until 7:05A cut off point (Otherwise, self-carry bags onto aircraft)

7:05A - Proceed to Gate

7:20A - Boarding

7:40A - Doors close

7:50A - Take off

As experienced cruisers, we know not to book early am flights on disembarkation day. However, due to an involuntary airline schedule change and other circumstances, we have no choice but to book a 7:50A flight out of FLL. Rebooking our cruise, flying out of MIA, taking a later flight or overnighting are not options at this point. We will also be packing light and traveling with only carry-on bags.

What else should one do or consider on disembarkation day in order to make the beeline?

7:00A - Check in Bags up until 7:05A cut off point (Otherwise, self-carry bags onto aircraft)

On our last cruise, Alaska Airlines changed our flights without telling us. When we called and explained that there was NO WAY we could catch an 8:00 a.m. flight after getting off a cruise ship, they changed it without question and no change fees.

I wouldn't chance it! But that's just me! Good luck!

This happened to us. Went to bed at 10 pm the last night and checked our e-mails only to see United had changed our flight home to a day later which was a work day or another option was a 7:40 am flight the morning we were getting off the Allure.

Took that option. Had breakfast as soon as the WJ opened at 5:30 am and got in the express walk off line at line at 6 am. We were at the head of the line with a few others in front of us.

They started leaving us off the ship at 6:25 am. Got in a cab by 6:40 am and we were at the Fll airport by 6:55 am.

At our gate by 7:10 am. No checked bags and we do have Global Entry/TSA cards.

We did make it because we did not have to check luggage and we had our boarding passes on each of our phones.

Did not sleep a wink that last night and it probably took 5 years off of our life!

After that episode, we both said that we would never do this again, just not worth it.

• Like 2

That is so unfair.

I have heard of time changes later, but not many earlier.

I guess instead of seeing people run to catch the ship at port, others will watch those who run to catch airline flights.

Not being a pain, just trying to add some humor to the situation as this could happen to me someday.

Best of luck

Let us know how it goes.

This happened to us. Went to bed at 10 pm the last night and checked our e-mails only to see United had changed our flight home to a day later which was a work day or another option was a 7:40 am flight the morning we were getting off the Allure.

Took that option. Had breakfast as soon as the WJ opened at 5:30 am and got in the express walk off line at line at 6 am. We were at the head of the line with a few others in front of us.

They started leaving us off the ship at 6:25 am. Got in a cab by 6:40 am and we were at the Fll airport by 6:55 am.

At our gate by 7:10 am. No checked bags and we do have Global Entry/TSA cards.

We did make it because we did not have to check luggage and we had our boarding passes on each of our phones.

Did not sleep a wink that last night and it probably took 5 years off of our life!

After that episode, we both said that we would never do this again, just not worth it.

This is reassuring. We do realize this is an unnecessarily stressful situation but we're going to chance it. And try to look at it as an adventure! Thanks for the reply.

Working for an airline I know how schedule changes are a pain and I hate that they happen. I really feel for the customers. I'm not sure what airline you are flying or when you are cruising. Have you asked the airline for a refund and maybe you could rebook onto another airline that would more fit your schedule. (Depends on price) The airline should refund your tickets without penalty since they are not fulfilling their end of the contract for the original times you bought your tickets for. They may also invol your tickets to another airline. Each airline has there own set of rules. However please read the contract of carriage for your airline to see what they do in this type of situation.

Working for an airline I know how schedule changes are a pain and I hate that they happen. I really feel for the customers. I'm not sure what airline you are flying or when you are cruising. Have you asked the airline for a refund and maybe you could rebook onto another airline that would more fit your schedule. (Depends on price) The airline should refund your tickets without penalty since they are not fulfilling their end of the contract for the original times you bought your tickets for. They may also invol your tickets to another airline. Each airline has there own set of rules. However please read the contract of carriage for your airline to see what they do in this type of situation.

Airline #1 will be issuing a full refund. Fortunately, the new set of tickets with Airline #2 are slightly cheaper than what we originally paid. Fingers will be crossed. Thanks for the reply!

I'd be saying lots of prayers!

Does having Global Entry help you disembark faster at Port Everglades?

Yes. There's a special queue for holders of the Global Entry card. Allows one to zip through passport control at Port Everglades. Was glad I had it the last time.

We were on Allure for a B4B in Jan/Feb and as B2Bers we watched passengers departing before we could get off usually around 10 AM and only about 1 of the 4 cruises departed all passengers on time. We were super late twice and didn't get back on board until noonish!!

We had a Huge group on board that had some bill disputes.

Some people got on on Jamaica and Immigration wanted them at 5 AM to come down with their papers to be cleared Firstbefore all other passengers! You can see where that could go wrong.......:rolleyes:

It is a gamble to hope all will go well on departure day. Lining up to be first in line off the ship may help?

Do you have a backup plan?

A couple of weeks ago Port Everglades was shut down for some random spill on a Saturday morning and no one got off any ship of any kind.

Anything can delay a ship.

I will say that the times that I've been up, I've found that the ships usually arrive at 3:30-4ish in the morning which is earlier than they list.

Have a plan B.

Good luck :)

Make sure you let people know if you achieve it. Looks possible if everything goes to plan...it is just the other variables that could cause issues

It stresses me out just thinking about trying that. Skip checking bags, if they don't make the flight that just creates a new problem.

So, you switched airlines after the one that messed up the timing couldn't get you an early flight?

As I see it if you are with the original airline and you miss that flight it is on them to have to rebook and cover costs of the flights/airport.

BUT, if you already switched then YOU booked that flight time and YOU would be solely responsible for the incurred costs of missing it.

Knowing that...it is your challenge to take on! It might be kind of fun!!

If you do miss the flight hopefully it isn't too hard/costly to get yourselves home. We showed up for our flight in the Azores a few years back to discover it was a national holiday and there was no flight. We HAD to get on a flight as we were boarding a Tall ship elsewhere and that ship wouldn't wait for us. They had managed to forget to relay this info to us when the cancelled the flight, 8 months prior. There we were in a deserted airport, that barely spoke English, that had no planes to where we needed to be. After hours of phone calls and chaos we ended up on first class seats on some airline headed to Lisbon where we arrived at 1am and slept on the freezing cold closed airport floors where they also spoke little to no English because our next flight boarded at 5am and we had no hotel and no idea where to even start to find one. Point being...if you miss the flight they speak your language, it's not a national holiday and you can likely walk to many hotels!!