PNG Cruise

mtg-01

I will be heading off to PNG on the Pacific Eden on the 10 of September 2016, stopping at Alatoa, Kitava, Kirrawina Island and the Conflict Islands. I am interested to know what tours, activities or items of interest, recent travelers to the area found interesting, good value or not worthwhile.

Thanks

I will be heading off to PNG on the Pacific Eden on the 10 of September 2016, stopping at Alatoa, Kitava, Kirrawina Island and the Conflict Islands. I am interested to know what tours, activities or items of interest, recent travelers to the area found interesting, good value or not worthwhile.

Thanks

No idea sorry but so glad to see more cruises going to PNG.

Thanks

I am off on the 24th of Sept. Recently I found only two companies with tours. Try Trip advisor for Reef Tours of Milne Bay, $195AUD pay on booking, and Kopoko tours in Rabaul 150$AUD cash on the day. Not cheap but a full day instead of a couple of hours like the ship. K

Alatoa is the site of the Battle of Milne Bay during WWII. The locals put on a show with some singing and dancing and decorated canoes. It is at a site probably 40 minutes walk from the ship. Ships usually run a shuttle bus as a tour.

Kitava & Kiriwinni are really beach days. The locals sell handicrafts. I have not been to the Conflict Islands.

In Rabaul the locals sell tours. I can recall AUD$70 for a half day to the volcano etc.

Thanks

I was on Aria last month with that itinerary, plus Rabaul.

Alotau was very wet with mud everywhere and we had a "raskols" scare which caused the captain to call everybody back and up anchor early. So there is not much to say really. I did go to the cultural centre, which is advertised as some sort of festival, but actually consists of a few traditional dance and singing groups and some arts and crafts. Some people liked it more than I did.

Kitava is a small island with a nice beach and a village. It is surrounded by a shallow reef which makes snorkeling very difficult. There is a tiny picturesque island just off the beach across a fierce channel, do not try to swim it, hire a canoe to get across and you will find better snorkeling there. We had a short day here as well, as the swell came up and made the tender trip back to the ship positively dangerous, so everybody was called back before it got any worse.

Kirrawina is a large island not far from Kitava. The beach is similar to Kitava, but the village seems to be much larger. There was a big gathering of locals dancing and singing for the tourists. I preferred to sit on the beach. Once again the shore was too shallow for snorkeling, but you could pay one of the local kids to take you out in a canoe to the deep water at the edge of the reef. You could also hire motor boats to go out much further. For all the hiring of boats, or anything else, have some low denomination Kina on hand.

Conflict Islands, guess what, the ship couldn't anchor because of rough seas so we turned tail and went home. Which was a pity because it was the stop I was most looking forward to. I was told they have a voucher system on the island where you buy four A$5 vouchers at a time to purchase things. The vouchers are non-refundable. Use them or lose them.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Just back from PNG.

Alotau - we went to the cultural festival, it was ok, singing, dancing arts and craft for sale, large traditional canoe rides of around 5-10 mins for $10 Aud which my son and wife enjoyed. The town was small and very basic.

Kirrawina Island - Beach stop, shallow lagoon with fringing reef, if snorkeling go past the fringing reef and snorkel the drop off. Lots of arts and craft for sale, kids with their canoes offer rides for $5.

Conflict Islands - Beach stop, by far the best island we have ever been to, an unspoilt paradise. Large deeper lagoon with shallow fringing reef, again if snorkeling go out past the shallow reef out to the drop off, turtles, reef sharks and thousands of fish of all sizes and colour.

Vouchers used for most things although we purchased a t-shirt in Aud.

Lots of shore excursions available via the ship, I didn't purchase any but spent around 4 hours snorkeling the drop off which is about 100m from the shore.

We will be on our 2nd PNG cruise in February. We picked this one because it goes to Wewak Madang and the Conflict Islands as well as the ports we previously visited. This time in Alotau we are going to the Driftwater Resort they will pick you up from the cruise ship.

We were on the Aria and they had a guest speaker who spoke on the war history of the area. My Father in Law had been based in Milne Bay so for us and a lot of the others it was a bit of a sentimental journey.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This time in Alotau we are going to the Driftwater Resort they will pick you up from the cruise ship.

Just some info re Driftwood....we used them in April for our stop in Alotau.

I arranged our tour for 8 with Barbara via email, plan was to be picked up at the wharf, a two hour tour of the town and war sites then back to the resort for lunch and swim. Mini bus was late arriving, then we sat there waiting for "others" that had booked. I explained that I had booked a private tour, but they said they had to pick up others to take back to the resort, after 30 minutes of waiting, the "others" didnt show.

They took us to the resort first, which is not what we had planned, gave us morning tea, which was lovely, but not what was arranged, after lots of discussion, we finally went on our tour. Our driver and guide were local guys, not much English but did a good job, considering it was torential rain.

Having had half our day wasted, we did not return for lunch, Barbara was no where to be found and the girls working at the resort had no record of our planned day.

I had sent many emails stating we wanted a private tour and what we wanted to do first, over 6 months, but it didnt work out that way. It was a beautiful little rustic resort, the locals lovely, but for $100 p/p a bit exy, but cheap compared to what the ship was offering:rolleyes:

A very special place, my uncle arrived in Milne Bay in W11, he died there and is buried in Port Morseby, the sail in the morning on ANZAC day through the mist was something we will never forget.

Edited by cheznandy

Just some info re Driftwood....we used them in April for our stop in Alotau.

I arranged our tour for 8 with Barbara via email, plan was to be picked up at the wharf, a two hour tour of the town and war sites then back to the resort for lunch and swim. Mini bus was late arriving, then we sat there waiting for "others" that had booked. I explained that I had booked a private tour, but they said they had to pick up others to take back to the resort, after 30 minutes of waiting, the "others" didnt show.

They took us to the resort first, which is not what we had planned, gave us morning tea, which was lovely, but not what was arranged, after lots of discussion, we finally went on our tour. Our driver and guide were local guys, not much English but did a good job, considering it was torential rain.

Having had half our day wasted, we did not return for lunch, Barbara was no where to be found and the girls working at the resort had no record of our planned day.

I had sent many emails stating we wanted a private tour and what we wanted to do first, over 6 months, but it didnt work out that way. It was a beautiful little rustic resort, the locals lovely, but for $100 p/p a bit exy, but cheap compared to what the ship was offering:rolleyes:

A very special place, my uncle arrived in Milne Bay in W11, he died there and is buried in Port Morseby, the sail in the morning on ANZAC day through the mist was something we will never forget.

That would have been very disappointing that they did not follow through with the plans that you had arranged for the day. The wartime history of New Guinea is very interesting, and it would have been very special for you to sail into Milne Bay on ANZAC day.

There have been quite a lot of cruises since we were there but remember it is a third world country. Conditions are quite primitive. The locals are lovely, very shy but they try to be helpful. Alotau very basic, we did not go to the "festival", but walked around the town after catching a mini bus in. My daughter walked to top of hill where the hospital is, she said the view was amazing. We spent time at the Milne Bay memorial, market there was set up on blankets on the ground. Caught a taxi back to ship. Driver had his little girl with him as Mama was at the market.

Please take Kina with you as locals have to pay exchange rates at exorbitant values if you use A$.

Kitava and Kiriwana, magic places, beaches and local markets.

Rabaul, town destroyed by earthquakes, new capital is a few km away. Big local market, we went to see bubbling beach and old airport and wreck of WWII plane. Worth it.

Local guides very shy, know their stuff, but find it hard to interact.

Things may have changed since the arrival of many big white ATMs, otherwise known as cruise ships. I hope not, but this is progress, as always be alert and don't take flashy jewellery etc.

Enjoy your cruise, it is a very different destination.

Thanks for the info, and reading your Anzac day experience was very moving, thanks for sharing.

That would have been very disappointing that they did not follow through with the plans that you had arranged for the day. The wartime history of New Guinea is very interesting, and it would have been very special for you to sail into Milne Bay on ANZAC day.

Thanks guys, yes it was moving, our Captain did a beautiful service on the Dawn Princess and the Vets did a march around the promenade, laid a wreath into the water, lots of ANZAC bikkies that day!!!

Also re Kitava......be aware that the outrigger canoes do tip over. We got one over to the little island, then coming back, ours started rocking and upturned, backpacks, everything in the water, including us!! The current in the channel was strong and we drifted way passed the tender area heading towards the ship. No help from Princess:rolleyes:but the 6 of us were rescued by locals coming to our aid in their canoes, hauling us up out of the water.

We were the talk of the ship.....many stories going around, lot's of passengers took photo's:p and the bridge was watching.

All the dolphins came and swam around us:p apparently the locals said "they know when we are in trouble" Watchers on the beach said the dolphins had been at the entrance to the channel and when we tipped came swimming down.

A big thankyou to the lady who refused to get out of the outrigger so the locals could rescue us as "she had already paid her $5":rolleyes:

and to all the passenger lined up for a tender back to the ship, who huffed and puffed and whinged because we were led to the front of the line by medical staff, as most of us had open cuts, bruising and were hit on the head by the wooden canoe as we went under it.

Rant over haha!! just lucky we could all swim and there were no children or disabled, so beware and go at own risk. One ruined camera but a story to tell!!

Thanks re advice about Driftwood. We travel with my 16 year old daughter who is unable to walk and uses a wheelchair. She loves snorkelling and as this is one of only 3 ports that she can off the ship we were hoping to do it there. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks guys, yes it was moving, our Captain did a beautiful service on the Dawn Princess and the Vets did a march around the promenade, laid a wreath into the water, lots of ANZAC bikkies that day!!!

Also re Kitava......be aware that the outrigger canoes do tip over. We got one over to the little island, then coming back, ours started rocking and upturned, backpacks, everything in the water, including us!! The current in the channel was strong and we drifted way passed the tender area heading towards the ship. No help from Princess:rolleyes:but the 6 of us were rescued by locals coming to our aid in their canoes, hauling us up out of the water.

We were the talk of the ship.....many stories going around, lot's of passengers took photo's:p and the bridge was watching.

All the dolphins came and swam around us:p apparently the locals said "they know when we are in trouble" Watchers on the beach said the dolphins had been at the entrance to the channel and when we tipped came swimming down.

A big thankyou to the lady who refused to get out of the outrigger so the locals could rescue us as "she had already paid her $5":rolleyes:

and to all the passenger lined up for a tender back to the ship, who huffed and puffed and whinged because we were led to the front of the line by medical staff, as most of us had open cuts, bruising and were hit on the head by the wooden canoe as we went under it.

Rant over haha!! just lucky we could all swim and there were no children or disabled, so beware and go at own risk. One ruined camera but a story to tell!!

Goodness, what an adventure, I am glad it was just the camera that was ruined.

Just when you think that some people's behaviour couldn't shock you any more, they prove that they can.:(

Thanks re advice about Driftwood. We travel with my 16 year old daughter who is unable to walk and uses a wheelchair. She loves snorkelling and as this is one of only 3 ports that she can off the ship we were hoping to do it there. Any advise would be appreciated.

Swim and a snorkel there would be lovely for her. Easy access to get into the water from the beach, we saw lots of fish standing on the jetty. We didnt have a great day weather wise, but I think that would be your best bet for a swim in Alotau:)

Goodness, what an adventure, I am glad it was just the camera that was ruined.

Just when you think that some people's behaviour couldn't shock you any more, they prove that they can.:(

Haha Mic, I would post pictures but I don't want to breach the privacy of my friends......who are members here and may want to remain anonymous!!

We were rescuing Havianna thongs and wooden bowls purchased onshore......backpacks, loading everything onto the upturned canoe, I couldn't stop laughing:o, if you could picture being in the water and being hauled into a large canoe by little Papua New Guinea men with Beetle juice red mouths smiling at you, while one is grabbing you under the arms, one has your leg and the other hauling you under the but trying to get you up and over.......Andy and i had just been snorkelling in the depths so the water did not worry us, it was the current, so strong, we were really shocked when we saw photos that we had drifted so far.

What an adventure that was and yes still have the scars, bowl & Havvies :) However could of been much more serious in hindsight, as Chez said no help from Princess even though tenders were going past us whilst we were floundering in the water. Thank goodness one passenger could express himself enough with expletives to get the powerboat that said woman had paid $5 for to come out and rescue us.. and the male passenger that swore at us because we were taken to the front of the line by the medical staff because we were "elite" but must of missed the blood and other injuries we had suffered... :( Gotta love some humans NOT

Putting that aside this cruise was up in the top 5 that i have ever done and the ANZAC service and enertainment by the captain and crew was just perfect. I was able to appreciate what my uncle and others that fought in that are endured and pay my respects to all.

How much Kina do you need for PNG?

This will vary, however I would likely take 4-500 on my next trip.

If Alotau is your first stop and on a weekday there is a Westpac in town.

It is important to try to have Kina for the Islanders as they really lose out on exchange rate.

If you buy wood handicrafts as long as you choose and inspect carefully there is a decent chance agriculture will be OK with it back in Aust / NZ.

If you don't want to bring any Kina back there will be Church / School groups on the Islands you can donate to in return for their performances which they put on for the passengers.

They are lovely people and in no way pushy, and are quite shy until you make the effort to chat with them.

We bought Kina through Travelex before we left.....picked up at the post office. I bought for 3 couples, think exchanged about $300AUD per couple as we had Alotau, Kitava, Kirriwina, Doini and Rabaul as ports.

Lisa bought wooden bowls at Kirriwina and Kitava, no trouble getting them onboard, I bought in Honiara (Solomons) and had to pay to have it inspected before boarding, $5 I think......got to Sydney, declared and they told me to keep walking:rolleyes:

The wooden bowls are beautifully finished, buy them on the smaller islands, I was going to get one on Kitava but after our "canoe adventure" didnt get to!!

They had money exchange set up in the atrium of the ship in the morning, you could change back into AUD as well. This was Princess.....but assume P&O would do the same.

Edited by cheznandy