What did you eat that was memorable?

Tybeequeen2010

I would say that our meals in Jacques & Red Ginger were so far above any other dining experience we've had at sea as to be extraordinary. The Miso-Glazed Sea Bass is indeed wonderful & although I can't remember exactly what we ate in Jacques, the experience & food were just great.

The sad thing is that you can't take that two night experience with you throughout your cruise....the food in the main dining room was not memorable at all....not to us....

Luckily!!!! On Riviera you can take cooking classes that are the best thing evah! DO IT! You won't regret it. I've taken classes for years elsewhere & learned more from the Oceania chef on Riviera in two classes than I ever did on shore.

I think the waiter will remove the shell for you

I have seen them removing the shell for people not sure if it is the whole steamed lobster or not ...i do not order lobster very often

There is a photo on the Preismans blog of how it is served

http://www.thepreismans.com/riviera16_menus.htm#polo

escargot is on the menu in Polo & Jacques

What an amazing photo documentation of the food paired with the descriptions!!

We also love the Paramasan cheese to munch available in Toscana. The Olive oil selection is also superb.

The parmasen wheel and cheese was missing from the combo Toscana/Polo restaurant on the Sirena during our voyage. I love the parmasan and missed it.

I loved the eggs benedict in the MDR and the egg specials of the days especially the pesto eggs benedict.

Edited by TERRIER1

I'd give my vote for the Peppercorn Filet Mignon (I think its Five Peppercorn or some title like that) from Jacques that also sometimes appears on the Grand Dining Room Menu on the smaller ships too.

I agree. I had the Peppercorn Filet on Nautica in June and it was wonderful. (Even if it was in the MDR and not Jacques!)

I sympathize with those who find the MDR less than memorable because over the years we have tended to prefer it to the specialties ... not to say that it's always perfect because it isn't ... but my first meal in Toscana on Oceania was also a disaster.

But over all ... the food on Oceania as good as any we've encountered at sea.

Mura

What I enjoy is having the mini pain au chocolat in Barista's. I feel less guilt-ridden for nibbling that size.

I also love all the cheese and cured meats you find at the Terrace grill for dinner. Love to enjoy these with a glass of wine on the back deck watch the ship's wake.

We will be on board in nine days. More than anything I look forward to all the marvelous food.

I will add another vote for the marvelous peppercorn steak in the GDR. From the GDR always available section, the herb crusted rotisserie chicken is the best.

We enjoy the Polo salad with Bibb lettuce, a spicy dressing, tomatoes and bacon bits.

The minestrone soup in Toscano is delicious.

The bread is fabulous in all venues. I especially enjoy the focaccia bread in Toscano.

Try a lot of desserts, fortunately the portions are small.

On our last cruise in July, we had the veal marsala in Toscano three times.

The first time there was no marsala flavor, the second was overpowering and the third was about right. No consistency.

In Polo, I ordered the ribeye med. rare twice. The first was overdone and tough, the second time was the same so I sent it back, and it's replacement still was not right.

Edited by Travel'nAl
Spelling

You sure can. My husband has done so.

Others have simply ordered several appetizers rather than a main course.

And of course if you aren't pleased with a dish that you ordered, you can order something else in its place.

Mura

It all sounds so good I wouldn't know what to order. Is it allowed to order more than one entree to try everything ? On a 7 day cruise there no way to work your way thru the menu.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Forums mobile app

It is perfectly fine to do so as long as you eat everything (or almost everything :D).

Personally, I think it is in poor taste to order more than 1 entree and leave a lot of food uneaten or just picked over. It is wasteful.

Maybe it's just me.

Good point, Paul, but at least in Howard's case he also cleaned his plate! I know he doesn't look like it ... then again, he hasn't ordered two main courses in quite a while.

Another way of handling it is to ask for appetizer-sized plates. I'm sure they could accommodate such a request.

Mura

You can order what ever you like. The waiters prefer you order the three things you kinda want rather than order something else when they have moved on to dessert.

DH orders three appetizers, one entree, and two desserts. He tries a little of everything and the. He is done.

The kitchen makes and plates extra of everything. If it is not used it is disposed of at the end of the night.

Do not feel bad about ordering a few things to try them out.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DH orders three appetizers, one entree, and two desserts. He tries a little of everything and the. He is done.

The kitchen makes and plates extra of everything. If it is not used it is disposed of at the end of the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am just wondering if your DH does the same thing at home in a restaurant where he pays for each item.

I sure hope so.

Edited by Paulchili