Tenders Late at Night in Edinburgh

Galley Slave

I have called HAL a few times and gotten different answers to see if we can go to the Edinburgh Tattoo on our own. Some agents say they will give us the tender schedule onboard, some say they run all night, one said they would only run for the excursion participants. Our roll call is trying to figure this out. Does anyone have experience with the tender schedule when the ship is on an anchor overnight in South Queensferry. This year over 400 people took the excursion, so it must take some time to get them back onboard their bus and a tender.

I have called HAL a few times and gotten different answers to see if we can go to the Edinburgh Tattoo on our own. Some agents say they will give us the tender schedule onboard, some say they run all night, one said they would only run for the excursion participants. Our roll call is trying to figure this out. Does anyone have experience with the tender schedule when the ship is on an anchor overnight in South Queensferry. This year over 400 people took the excursion, so it must take some time to get them back onboard their bus and a tender.

Just off the Koningsdam and went to the Tattoo from So. Queensferry. We did not overnight...we were scheduled to depart at midnight and the last tender was supposed to be at 11:30 pm. We left later than that...more like 12:30 but I did not pay attention to see if the tenders ran later.

I booked the ship's excursion as I was afraid of missing the ship...the performance lasted a full two hrs, ending at 11 pm and getting out of the stadium, trying to get a cab along with all those thousands of prople plus the 20--30 minute ride to So. Queensferry....it was just too stressful for me. I know others did go independently...maybe they will post their experience as well.

The Tattoo is awesome...hope it works out for you!

We did the Tatoo on the Eurodam --arrived back at ship midnight soaking wet and buffet was open with wonderful bowls of hot soup -problem the tides -so ships tour is best .

We saw many drunk young people while on the bus that made us happy we were not looking for a cab and waiting in the rain with drunkards.

I suggest reading some old trip reports, roll calls to reassure yourself. You should be fine, I've read lots of independent tattoo reports for other cruise lines and I've never read of a problem. There will be hundreds of independents attending the show and nearly all will travel in groups organized on roll calls.

We did the Tattoo while on a CIE land trip, all the buses park on the same street five or six blocks from the castle. Throngs of people exit the castle and walk to the bus parking area. You don't need to run or be nervous but everyone is expected to walk directly to the bus when the show is over. Your independent bus or van will leave the parking area at about the same time as the ship excursion bus. There is no way any reputable cruise line would leave passengers stranded at the tender dock.

The last time I was there, tablemates had booked Tattoo tickets independently. They made it back to the ship just fine. Boarding the tender never became an issue.

Can you remember if they took the train or a cab back to the port? Thank you for the positive info on doing the Tattoo on our own.

Can you remember if they took the train or a cab back to the port? Thank you for the positive info on doing the Tattoo on our own.

The concern I would have with the train is then getting from the station to the ship. Not sure the availability of cabs at the train station.

Thanks for the information in the replies to this question but it would be good to hear from someone who's been a ship that did overnight at Queensferry. Perhaps they could tell us if the tenders ran all night. It's possible that with the Festival on, passengers will also want to attend other events, concerts etc in the city that night. Many of us would like to know and the answers from HAL are quite contradictory.

we have been to Edinburgh several times and attended the tattoo. It is always packed and chaotic ... I would highly recommend using HAL for this one. If the ship overnights, then you have some cover if you don't. But it the ship is leaving late that same night as it did last time we went, it would be very difficult to get a taxi or whatever on your own. This is not like going to the theater in a town .. there are far too many folks and the pathways are a bit confusing coming/going. Oh .. and it rained the last time ... as we were leaving ..just to add to the flavor.

harry

Ditto taking ship tour for Tattoo...easier with no worries. The whole area is a total mess, but the ship busses know how to navigate it. Loved it all...even in the pouring rain (By the way, don't wear a rain coat...wear a poncho and rent the seat pads available as you enter. If you wear a raincoat you'll end up wet, but poncho will allow you to spread it over your legs, purse, etc.) Seats are VERY narrow parts of bleacher benches.

Ditto taking ship tour for Tattoo...easier with no worries. The whole area is a total mess, but the ship busses know how to navigate it. Loved it all...even in the pouring rain (By the way, don't wear a rain coat...wear a poncho and rent the seat pads available as you enter. If you wear a raincoat you'll end up wet, but poncho will allow you to spread it over your legs, purse, etc.) Seats are VERY narrow parts of bleacher benches.

If one was already out touring and had booked through the ship, could you meet up with them at the castle to enter for the Tattoo and then use the bus to return to the ship?

If one was already out touring and had booked through the ship, could you meet up with them at the castle to enter for the Tattoo and then use the bus to return to the ship?

The Zuiderdam and Koningsdam will both be tendered at South Queensferry next August 7th. My group (on the Z) has purchased tickets for the Tattoo through HAL. We have a full day of sightseeing planned to the Borders that day. When we get on ship we are going to check with the excursion desk and see if we can do basically what you just asked. Instead of going back to ship after touring all day - just stay in Edinburgh for dinner, get to our own seats and then take the HAL bus back to the ship after the performance.

The Zuiderdam and Koningsdam will both be tendered at South Queensferry next August 7th. My group (on the Z) has purchased tickets for the Tattoo through HAL. We have a full day of sightseeing planned to the Borders that day. When we get on ship we are going to check with the excursion desk and see if we can do basically what you just asked. Instead of going back to ship after touring all day - just stay in Edinburgh for dinner, get to our own seats and then take the HAL bus back to the ship after the performance.

I called and asked HAL if we could do this and they said we could not. They said we had to go with the group and return with the group. They probably give the tickets to the tattoo out as you board the bus.

I called and asked HAL if we could do this and they said we could not. They said we had to go with the group and return with the group. They probably give the tickets to the tattoo out as you board the bus.

That's probably the correct corporate response, but it might be worthwhile talking to the staff at the ship's excursion desk to see if there is a work around.

We just were there August 2016. We were suppose to have tenders all night. But, at the last minute, they said last tender would be at 1a.m. We had done the tickets on our own, with a private transfer back to the pier. We rushed it to the train station to catch our transfer. Also, some people booked hotel rooms in Edinburgh so they did not have to worry about the tenders. We were not on HAL, but I would plan for not all night tenders.LOL

Hope your tickets are for the 8th as that is when my itinerary says Zuiderdam is in South Queensferry.:eek:

Thanks Galley Slave, Fouremco and firefightermom007 for sharing the info.

Hope your tickets are for the 8th as that is when my itinerary says Zuiderdam is in South Queensferry.:eek:

Thanks Galley Slave, Fouremco and firefightermom007 for sharing the info.

Yes. It probably is August 8. Didn't look up the exact date. We are still going to go to the shore excursion desk when we get on board to see if we need to leave the ship with the tour. I imagine that the Tattoo tickets will be in our cabin when we board. I think the problem will be getting one of those round colored stickers to get on a bus after the Tattoo.

I cannot comment on the tenders back to the ship however I live in South Queensferry and would say that you must be very sure on how you are going to return to the ship if you Do the tattoo on your own. There are no taxis at the train station and it's a fair walk. Buses going back from Edinburgh stop at 11.05 pm. Taxis during the festival are busy but you will get one.

If I can help with local info please just ask.

I cannot comment on the tenders back to the ship however I live in South Queensferry and would say that you must be very sure on how you are going to return to the ship if you Do the tattoo on your own. There are no taxis at the train station and it's a fair walk. Buses going back from Edinburgh stop at 11.05 pm. Taxis during the festival are busy but you will get one.

If I can help with local info please just ask.

Thanks to you and all of the others who have written about their experiences getting back to the ship after the tattoo. I have decided to just stay in a hotel and not try to figure this out. I think HAL is keeping people uninformed in order to boast their sales of the excursion to the tattoo. Captain Albert's Blog said 415 people went on this excursion in August, so they are definitely making money on this event.