What do you think about compensation?

fantasy51

Ever have the power go out at home? Thunderstorm, tree falls on a power line, some idiot drives into one...what does the electric company give you for compensation?

Is that what happened here?

I doubt it.

You've picked a bad example because in the UK if we get an unplanned power cut due to the power company (not an act of god or something due to the householder's act or negligence) we can claim compensation ...and way more than the cost of a specialty meal!

I doubt it.

You've picked a bad example because in the UK if we get an unplanned power cut due to the power company (not an act of god or something due to the householder's act or negligence) we can claim compensation ...and way more than the cost of a specialty meal!

Well that's very interesting, so maybe the diversity of opinions is a cultural thing after all.

We (in America) would get squat.

I scream loud when I'm truly harmed, but most things (like a half day power outage) I just let roll off my back.

I doubt it.

£50 from my electricity company for gas or electric out for more than 3 hrs.

£75 from the water company if there's a water disruption for more than 6 hours and they send a bowser and bottled water to my street.

WITHOUT HAVING TO COMPLAIN!

I'm with the Limeys on this, having just returned from a terrible cruise on the Eclipse I have come to realise that alcohol is much more of a sophisticated affair in the US and passengers from the Americas are far more likely to cause a fuss about the brand of drink they get.

Offer a UK resident a gin and tonic 99% of us don't care (or don't have a significantly delicate palate) what brand the gin is, the same with scotch, brandy and vodka.

The point I'm trying to make is that we British see the wine as nothing more than a poor effort at redress, wheare as I'm sure that US passengers see a bottle of wine as a grand gesture.

I would much prefer someone to explain the situation, deal with it effectively and remedy the situation and not receive a bottle of plonk, but that's too British.

I too was on the Equinox Aug. 25th sailing and was in one of the cabins that had a power outage for about 18 hours. I have read with much interest the original post as well as the many responses. When I completed the end of cruise survey, prior to reading this thread, I chose to comment on the incident. I called the power outage a great inconvenience (18 hours of no power, no lights, showering, getting dressed, and using the bathroom in the dark, and no air conditioning, etc.) In my humble opinion, the response from Celebrity was a very minor one for a much greater inconvenience.

There have been some posts related to how some organizations in the the hospitality industry respond to disruptions in level of service. We just experienced a response from United Airlines due to what they determined was an inconvenience during our flight. While we were waiting for our connecting flight in Newark, we received an email apologizing for the disruption to their standard of service during our flight. Each passenger was given the option of either 5000 miles or a $100 certificate for future travel.

Here's what happened. About 15 minutes into our flight, there was an announcement made requesting volunteer medical assistance for a passenger who was experiencing a medical emergency. During the next 45 minutes or so we were mildly aware that volunteers were assisting the crew in dealing with the situation. Then things settled down and that was the end of the medical situation, i.e. about an hour of a nearly 11 hour flight. At the end of the flight the senior crew member apologized to all for any inconvenience due to the medical situation and any resulting delay in service. She reiterated that the crew regretted any level of service that was not up to their standards. Honestly, we did not feel inconvenienced at all and were grateful that medical professionals on board were able to resolve the issue for the passenger and that we were not diverted.

Imagine our response when we received the email from United with the offer of a token of appreciation from United. We couldn't help but make an immediate comparison to Celebrity's response to the power outage. The contrast, in our opinion, was a stark one.

My intention in this post is to simply point out how another corporation chose respond to what they determined was a disruption to their level of service.

On our very first cruise, Celebrity - Infinity to Alaska we had a serious smell issue in our cabin. It was making us sick. Maintenance first tried to fix it and then refused to acknowledge it (rudely.) I also had another more personal issue story for another day.) I was FURIOUS. I wound up in the office of the head of customer relations, who moved us to another cabin and comped us for for a dinner and drinks. He could not have been more apologetic and I could not have more delighted. Much to my surprise on the night before we were to arrive back in port, we were presented with two certificates for $500 each to cruise again. It was totally unexpected but so appreciated. I was not sure if were going to ever cruise again. But of course this gave us the incentive to try again and now were are cruisers for life (and lovers of Celebrity of course.) Earlier this year because of circumstance we tried NCL and said never again. Back to Celebrity for us.

What really irritated us was the fact that they had a vacant PH cabin while we had our problems and, rather than move is until the issues were fixed, they did an auction early on in the cruise and probably raised lots of $$$for it. There were 2 RS with big issues but they took the cash from the auction.

Our problem started the first night and went downhill thereafter. Toilets would not flush. Visit to reception in early hours. Then many plumbers thrashing about for some time disturbing all Suites in the corridor. After that the smell started.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm with the Limeys on this, having just returned from a terrible cruise on the Eclipse I have come to realise that alcohol is much more of a sophisticated affair in the US and passengers from the Americas are far more likely to cause a fuss about the brand of drink they get.

Offer a UK resident a gin and tonic 99% of us don't care (or don't have a significantly delicate palate) what brand the gin is, the same with scotch, brandy and vodka.

The point I'm trying to make is that we British see the wine as nothing more than a poor effort at redress, wheare as I'm sure that US passengers see a bottle of wine as a grand gesture.

I would much prefer someone to explain the situation, deal with it effectively and remedy the situation and not receive a bottle of plonk, but that's too British.

Bafflingly comment. Americans are more fussy about their tastes regarding alcohol but are willing to take a cheap bottle of wine for compensation for a problem on board, seriously? Good grief, your argument makes no sense.

Bafflingly comment. Americans are more fussy about their tastes regarding alcohol but are willing to take a cheap bottle of wine for compensation for a problem on board, seriously? Good grief, your argument makes no sense.

Not really....

One relates to whether someone is prepared to pay extra for a premium package gaining them access to fancier cocktails and higher quality gins (for example).

The second relates less to the quality of the wine in the bottle but more to whether it's socially acceptable to decline a gift offered by a cruiseline as way of compensation.

I'm sorry,where did that come from.(his Nausea)

The OP said it in post #17:

"If my cabin mate had been my partner or a female friend there would have been no problems having the bathroom door open so I could see to shower. It is impolite for me to do so in front of a gay male friend, especially considering all the (partly) joking comments he makes about how he feels nauseated when he views the naked female anatomy. We have a great friendship and treat each other with respect. Hence the concern about the blackout in the bathroom."

Cindy

Edited by Cindy

What really irritated us was the fact that they had a vacant PH cabin while we had our problems and, rather than move is until the issues were fixed, they did an auction early on in the cruise and probably raised lots of $$$for it. There were 2 RS with big issues but they took the cash from the auction.

Our problem started the first night and went downhill thereafter. Toilets would not flush. Visit to reception in early hours. Then many plumbers thrashing about for some time disturbing all Suites in the corridor. After that the smell started.

I don't remember the resolution to your problem but I think I might have expected to receive the entire cost of my cruise in a future cruise credit if I had booked a Royal Suite and smelled sewage for my entire cruise and knew there was an empty suite that they had chosen not to move me into.

(And I've never demanded compensation in my life but your problem sounds AWFUL!!!)

I don't remember the resolution to your problem but I think I might have expected to receive the entire cost of my cruise in a future cruise credit if I had booked a Royal Suite and smelled sewage for my entire cruise and knew there was an empty suite that they had chosen not to move me into.

(And I've never demanded compensation in my life but your problem sounds AWFUL!!!)

It wasn't good and it was made worse as it the suite was booked for my 60th birthday. We did come to an acceptable solution.

I actually think there is an issue in that area on deck 10 on S class ships. We had it in 1239, one of the other RS cabins had it as well but not as bad as us (1116 I think) both on the Eclipse. We were in 1110 earlier this year on the Silhouette and had slight issues which came and went as well. Next month we are on deck 11 so hopefully no problem!!

It wasn't good and it was made worse as it the suite was booked for my 60th birthday. We did come to an acceptable solution.

I actually think there is an issue in that area on deck 10 on S class ships. We had it in 1239, one of the other RS cabins had it as well but not as bad as us (1116 I think) both on the Eclipse. We were in 1110 earlier this year on the Silhouette and had slight issues which came and went as well. Next month we are on deck 11 so hopefully no problem!!

Gordon -

Not suites but we've sailed in 1610, 1548 and 1544 on deck 11 and never had any issues with smell!!!

(1610 - despite the large balcony we heard them moving chairs above us though )

Edited by chamima

Gordon -

Not suites but we've sailed in 1610, 1548 and 1544 on deck 11 and never had any issues with smell!!!

(1610 - despite the large balcony we heard them moving chairs above us though )

Karen

We did AQ before the suite restaurant was set up and have been in most of those cabins on deck 11 with no issues. was also in the CS 1618 and other than getting a flooded balcony several times (new stateroom attendant upstairs), there were no problems with the smell.

It has only been on deck 10 but for it to be the same smell on two ships makes you think of a design issue.

I'm thrilled to learn that I'm securely established in the 1% of British gin drinkers on this estimation.

:confused:

I'm thrilled to learn that I'm securely established in the 1% of British gin drinkers on this estimation.

:confused:

:confused: Why am I not surprised :rolleyes:

It's so nice to hear from you again Richard, looking forward to this weeks blog post :D

I actually think the problem is that cruisers these days seem to expect compensation for every inconvenience, and it dilutes the cruise lines' response when there are genuine problems that need to be dealt with. If people would stop demanding compensation and berating staff for silly things, like a port missed due to weather or a piece of meat that wasn't cooked to their liking the cruise lines might be faster to respond.

Please understand I'm not passing judgment on whether compensation is warranted in your case -- that's between you and Celebrity as you're the only two parties that really know what took place. I wouldn't have asked for it, but that doesn't mean it's not appropriate. I do, however, think sometimes things just happen, and as a society we're not very good at distinguishing between a disappointment/inconvenience and a real problem. Not everything is compensable.

I am glad the OP posted this topic. It is relevant on so many levels.

As for the above comments...

Cruise lines are very slow to respond to ANY issues, no matter how relevant unless we are firm and being firm means asking for compensation.

Things change only if it costs the cruiseline, in this case Celebrity. If their bottom dollar is affected it will get noticed.

If there is a huge outcry that "modern luxury" is a scam, if we make Celebrity live up to that phrase by asking to be compensated when it is definitely NOT luxury in any sense of the word, change will come.

The original poster, definitely did not get "luxury". Holding Celeb accountable for that benefits us all.

Thank you.

were the regular sockets working I would have been asking for some portable work lights, if not some decent battery ones.

The TV would have given quite a bit of light.

We carry at least 2 small magnetic led(OSRAM Dot-It) to stick on the wall in case of emergency and its dark.

they are only a few £ and small packs of 3 brighter ones for around £10 there are PIR versions as well.

Ours would not be good enough to do stuff like change and shower good enough to get out of the cabin or go for a pee.

I would have just trotted off to one of the public showers gym/spa if the cabin one was impractical.

For the first issue as long as the package was in the system I would not care if it was printed on the card unless it caused problems.

they probably thought a bottle of wine was enough as you were cheap having not upgraded to the premium package :).

I am glad the OP posted this topic. It is relevant on so many levels.

As for the above comments...

Cruise lines are very slow to respond to ANY issues, no matter how relevant unless we are firm and being firm means asking for compensation.

Things change only if it costs the cruiseline, in this case Celebrity. If their bottom dollar is affected it will get noticed.

If there is a huge outcry that "modern luxury" is a scam, if we make Celebrity live up to that phrase by asking to be compensated when it is definitely NOT luxury in any sense of the word, change will come.

The original poster, definitely did not get "luxury". Holding Celeb accountable for that benefits us all.

Thank you.

I see your point, but I have to disagree to an extent. I think the reason the cruise lines are so slow and reluctant to provide compensation is because people are screaming for compensation for everything that doesn't go their way or isn't to their liking. In cases like this where there was no power to the cabin I think compensation is justified. However, every person that writes the CEO demanding to be compensated because their Coke was flat or they didn't like a menu makes it harder for people that have true issues to get restitution. If people stopped demanding to be reimbursed for minor things we might see people having an easier time of it when they have a genuine problem that needs to be addressed by the cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Cindy

I see your point, but I have to disagree to an extent. I think the reason the cruise lines are so slow and reluctant to provide compensation is because people are screaming for compensation for everything that doesn't go their way or isn't to their liking. In cases like this where there was no power to the cabin I think compensation is justified. However, every person that writes the CEO demanding to be compensated because their Coke was flat or they didn't like a menu makes it harder for people that have true issues to get restitution. If people stopped demanding to be reimbursed for minor things we might see people having an easier time of it when they have a genuine problem that needs to be addressed by the cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% right, It always amazes me to see the chronic complainers down by guest relations frequently (some every day), and no doubt in my mind they follow up all their complaints with letters to the CEO, and most are expecting some type of compensation no matter how trivial the concern was. Some people live for it I think.

I am always happy when I hear a passenger actually at guest relations or talking to a senior member of the hotel or ships staff with a compliment, it restores my faith briefly until ten minutes later you hear someone complaining that they were livid because they didn't get enough free drink coupons, or they had run out of pineapple ice cream at the buffet

100% right, It always amazes me to see the chronic complainers down by guest relations frequently (some every day), and no doubt in my mind they follow up all their complaints with letters to the CEO, and most are expecting some type of compensation no matter how trivial the concern was. Some people live for it I think.

I am always happy when I hear a passenger actually at guest relations or talking to a senior member of the hotel or ships staff with a compliment, it restores my faith briefly until ten minutes later you hear someone complaining that they were livid because they didn't get enough free drink coupons, or they had run out of pineapple ice cream at the buffet

I think getting compensation is a game to some folks. First they want to see if they can get something and then they want to see if they can get more than someone else gets. I think the cruise lines are too fast in giving compensation, when an "I'm sorry you encountered this" should do.

I am encouraged to know that you have never had your cruise ruined by anything.

Yes some things are definitely not worth complaining about. But this OP had some legitimate concerns.

Glad he brought it to the attention of Celeb.

I think it keeps a cruise line on its toes, somewhat when they know many will not put up with mediocrity when Celeb advertises "modern luxury".

I think this phrase has gotten then into hot water. They probably wish they had never used it. Lol

• 2 weeks later...

I promised to reply when I heard back from Celebrity.

I received a phone call this evening from Tyson in the USA, who deals with issues post-cruise. We had a lovely chat and he was very understanding.

He had read my letter to Customer Relations and had gone through all the incident reports from the cruise. He said that there were about 8 people whose emergency lighting did not work. (I know of course that there were others whose emergency lighting did work, as some of those complained that they could not sleep as it was too bright!) He agreed that a bottle of wine was unsuitable (as he himself does not drink) and said it’s the standard way of saying ‘Thank you for putting up with the problem.’ He also said that a few people had been given the offer of meals in a specialty restaurant but he does not know why some got that but others did not. He has given each of us £100 in future cruise credits (valid for the next year) that we could perhaps use for 2 meals in a specialty restaurant on a future cruise. (Actually, we have no plans to sail on Celebrity again but I appreciate the gesture.)

I came away from the phone call feeling that he cared and that he felt the situation had not been dealt with as well as it should have been at the time. I could also tell that he felt some frustration that he could not ensure that such problems would not occur in future. His job is to deal with incidents and people afterwards. I guess he troubleshoots the people issues but cannot deal with policies.

I worked hard to steer the conversation to the safety issues and what could be done if this happens in future. I asked why we were not offered flashlights for use in the bathroom (a suggestion from someone earlier in this thread) and he admitted that he did not know if there would even be spares on board. He said that he would pass on one of my suggestions, that room stewards should regularly close the bathroom door without the light on to see if the nightlight came on. Ours was not on for the first night and only came on after the incident, when all the lights were fixed. It made me wonder if this was tied in to the emergency line and could be advance indication of that not working. I hope that the relevant person follows through on that, as it seems a very simple check that room stewards could make.

Diane

Diane

Thanks for coming back and letting us know that there was some follow-up.

I think Tyson let you know you were heard on all accounts and offered the only compensation he could.

I've been in situations where the response I wanted most was to hear that procedures would be put in place so that my problem wouldn't happen to others and it's frustrating to know they may not be but at least you tried.

Edited by chamima