Best Use of OBC?

I'm torn about using my OBC ($300) on my upcoming Oasis cruise in November 2016. This will be my first cruise having OBC. Was debating about a drink package although I think that would be somewhat of a waste as I would not drink $300/week. Maybe a couples spa package? Has anyone done this on a cruise and it is worth the price (which is steep)? Or maybe one of the pay restaurants? I know it's a personal preference but trying to get the most bang for the buck.

The spa is way overpriced on the ship, so I would not think of that as a good 'bang for the buck'

If you drink a little, you can use the OBC to pay for that. And as was posted above, gratuities will be paid out of OBC.

Really doesn't matter. It's not like you have a choice what it's used for.

It's just a credit sitting in your account.

As a charge comes through, it reduces the credit. As more charges come through, the credit continues to decrease until the credit becomes a debit. Now, they're in your pocket again.

$300 is a lot to have for OBC.

If you can do gratuities I would go for it.

We had $350 OBC last year and we scrambled on the last day to use it all.

We would have used it to purchase a large sum of alcohol to take home but we were flying so we can only limit it to a few bottles.

Otherwise we don't by any junk from the ships stores...

Really doesn't matter. It's not like you have a choice what it's used for.

It's just a credit sitting in your account.

As a charge comes through, it reduces the credit. As more charges come through, the credit continues to decrease until the credit becomes a debit. Now, they're in your pocket again.

Exactly.....we buy what we want, if we want anything....liquor, gifts, restaurants, and anything else of an OBC goes against our tips....easy as it can be. It just reduces our out of pocket at the end. We surely don't stress on it.

We have about the same and complimentary dinner @ 150, it will pay gratuities and a second specialty dinner or tappas at Vintages one night. Last time we bought some photos, went to Giovanni's and did a little shopping. But after gratuity there will only about $160 left, so dinner and some extra tips to favorite bartenders [emoji4] (drink packages are already paid for )

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since we had several cruises booked when the last gratuity increase was announced, we paid our tips ahead, which leaves us with much more OBC than usual. We tend to use it for excursions and specialty restaurants.

If we have OBC left on the night before departure, I go to the shops and fill in my supply of Clinique products. The last time I checked, the ship's prices were better than prices at home. If there's still OBC to spend, I buy my husband sport shirts - so far they have been good quality and look good after many launderings.

As with a lot of cruise issues, this is definitely a first-world problem!

Margy

If any of it is refundable, you can cash it out at Customer Service on your last day at sea. Three weeks ago, I had almost $200 refundable OBC left and I turned it in the last afternoon at sea for cash. No problem but it must be refundable.

Was it OBC from Visa rewards or a travel agent? I was told you can cash out Visa OBC but can't do it from a TA.

Was it OBC from Visa rewards or a travel agent? I was told you can cash out Visa OBC but can't do it from a TA.

OBC from a travel agent is usually refundable, unless it is some sort of pass though from RC, such as group booking perks.