"Horror on the High Seas" ? Really?

Peachy59

I haven't read every post but I find it funny that everyone has to immediately come to the defense of the cruise line.

Hurricane season is six months out of the year including summer when most families are able to vacation so saying avoid it is stupid.

It is ok for someone to have been upset with experiencing high waves and having been sick the entire time because of it. To be dismissive that someone may have been scared just because you say it's fine is again stupid.

And everyone saying the captain will make sure you are fine, right because no one has ever died on a cruise ship because a captain made a bad decision...

People are allowed to complain and criticize the way something was handled. No need to act like your mother is being called names and you have to defend her.

If someone wants to say they hate royal simply because and they hope they go out of business my response is so what. That impacts me in no way.

While I don't disagree with the premise of your comment, to be fair, when people refer to hurricane season, they are usually referring to peak hurricane season. Even though the actual season is 6 months long, we're dead center in peak (August/September) hurricane season. I know some people will think I'm quibbling but it's a reality of living on the east coast. People booking cruises out of the northeast she understand that.

Edited by Big_G

We were on this sailing. Ship listed so much they shut down the elevators and sent us all to our rooms. Our balcony room flooded, as did many others. This was the first night of the cruise - the rest of the trip was picture perfect. The carpet in our room was replaced by the end of the week. It smelled pretty bad for a few days, but it was bearable. Royal took good care of us and we will cruise on...

Egads! The chick on that recording was quite the drama queen as well! :eek:

I have done over 20 cruises... with some roughish seas.. but a hurricane. no.

I think they should have at least told the passengers this was a possibility and given them the option to get off the boat.

This is the second time this has happened to this ship. Something is wrong.

Would not trust this cruise line.

by the way there is another thread about this cruise on this board.

You book a cruise during peak hurricane season, you take the risk.. You can't tell me that not one of those passengers didn't know about present weather conditions and the likelihood of poor weather during the cruise...:rolleyes:

And neither did she...because it wasn't a hurricane.

Exactly. Hermine was long past hurricane stage by then, and the ship largely skirted around it. The storm in February wasn't a hurricane either, but lots of people insist on calling it that. Takes more than rough seas and high winds to make a hurricane. 😎

Egads! The chick on that recording was quite the drama queen as well! :eek:

It was scary for some people. Waiters were falling down and dishes were crashing everywhere. We just took it in stride. I think if there were real danger they would have directed us to put on our life jackets. I can tell you it was a long night for the captain though. ;)

Just curious how it works with leaving early and leaving ppl behind? Are they warned to leave 3 hours earlier the night before? Just didn't know this ever happened!

Can happen, good reason to fly in day ahead. I'm from Michigan, taking cruise in Jan so will fly in early in case snow storms...

I was also on this cruise. At no time did I feel we were in any danger. The captain did a great job of keeping everyone updated. My wife ended up getting sick so we just stayed in the cabin starting in the afternoon when it got bad. They had free movies so that helped pass the time. I walked around a bit during the afternoon and didn't fall, get injured, etc. I find it hard to believe that people do not know that the North Atlantic can get pretty rough at times. Also August and September are the peak Hurricane Season. There is a reason the fares are much cheaper now than other times of the year.

Also, as far as Canada, if you look at where the storm was projected to be on Wed/Thursday we would have had to go right through it to get back to NJ. Going to Bermuda on the altered course was the right move. The way back was very smooth!

It was scary for some people. Waiters were falling down and dishes were crashing everywhere. We just took it in stride. I think if there were real danger they would have directed us to put on our life jackets. I can tell you it was a long night for the captain though. ;)

I hear you, but if I was that scared, I wouldn't be a) videoing everything on my IPhone and b) talking about getting my $ back (I watched all the videos). I'd be hiding under a table or something...actually, If it was me, I'd probably be watching the storm out of a window, which is what I was doing when sailing on Jewel during a nor'easter back in '08, but I'm weird like that :o

Edited by VASOXFANN

I hear you, but if I was that scared, I wouldn't be a) videoing everything on my IPhone and b) talking about getting my $ back (I watched all the videos). I'd he hiding under a table or something....actually, I'd probably watching the storm out of a window, which is what I was doing when sailing on Jewel during a nor'easter back in '08, but I'm weird like that :o

Ha! Me too. I was enjoying the view out the window until we were sent to our rooms. By then my stomach was a little off so I just slept it off. Some people thrive on drama.

Did you watch the captain's speech? He was a hoot - very dry sense of humor, which I love. We were shocked when we found out he was the captain on the next cruise we took, which was to Alaska. I'm sure it's not that unusual, but I was glad to experience his humor again.

In Florida we throw Hurrican Parties. We live on West Coast and watched the storm develop for about a week prior to landfall. The weather service had 24 hour reports on the possible track of the storm. It is much more frightening sitting in your home wondering if you are going to be hit by high winds and lose your life and a lifetime of possessions (which might be able to be replaced). Landfall was actually about 50 miles from our vacation property. We just returned from damage assessment and were pleased that Mother Nature spared us property damage but certainly did clean leaves and limbs from the trees.

We have sailed on really high/rough seas on the Baltic and also going to/from Antartica. We knew to expect this type weather and just rocked and rolled with the ship. A few adult beverages helped too.

I will now have to go view the video posted by OP. I suggest a land tour in the future. Mother Nature throws many types of weather our way and we deal with it and somehow move on.

Ha! Me too. I was enjoying the view out the window until we were sent to our rooms. By then my stomach was a little off so I just slept it off. Some people thrive on drama.

Did you watch the captain's speech? He was a hoot - very dry sense of humor, which I love. We were shocked when we found out he was the captain on the next cruise we took, which was to Alaska. I'm sure it's not that unusual, but I was glad to experience his humor again.

He was funny! He forgot to announce that the elevators were closed, tho :confused: I watched the video with the two tables of elderly Asian folks, and that's right where they headed :eek: Poor people were very confused :(

I'm blessed with an iron stomach. I don't get motion or sea sick. Ever. Knock on wood :o

He was funny! He forgot to announce that the elevators were closed, tho :confused: I watched the video with the two tables of elderly Asian folks, and that's right where they headed :eek: Poor people were very confused :(

I'm blessed with an iron stomach. I don't get motion or sea sick. Ever. Knock on wood :o

Yep. That was significant to me because I felt bad for the people in wheelchairs who were stuck in the hallways, and I had a very recent ankle injury so I was in a brand new custom orthotic which immobilized my ankle. It made climbing the 5 flights of stairs to our room a little more challenging.

We heard the ship listed 12 degrees. Never got that verified but it seems about right. At the time I had no idea hurricane season went that late, but we would have done it anyway. Doing Western Caribbean next June. You roll the dice and hope for the best. :)

Yep. That was significant to me because I felt bad for the people in wheelchairs who were stuck in the hallways, and I had a very recent ankle injury so I was in a brand new custom orthotic which immobilized my ankle. It made climbing the 5 flights of stairs to our room a little more challenging.

We heard the ship listed 12 degrees. Never got that verified but it seems about right. At the time I had no idea hurricane season went that late, but we would have done it anyway. Doing Western Caribbean next June. You roll the dice and hope for the best. :)

Ugh! That must have been scary! Definitely scarier than the choppy seas this mooch of a woman is trying to pass off as a "Horror Cruise"

The elderly and disabled are the ones I feel bad for in situations such as these. On my nor'easter cruise there were old folks rolling all over the place with their walkers and wheelchairs :(. I have no sympathy for drama queens and people out for $$ :mad:

A news story says "The Mom won the trip at work and decided to take her daughter".

If true, just imagine her outrage if she actually paid for the cruise.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=948655

Well, that sure is interesting, probably had never been on a cruise before. Also explains staying in a hotel in Bermuda, very pricey, and flying home. Most cannot afford those things after paying for a cruise.

We've always gone to Bermuda in Oct. and quite a number of times. We had some bouncing weather now and then but more times than not, the seas were calm and even glass like.

My worst ever was on the Grandeur of the Seas in Feb./Mar. just after leaving Key West. 30 Ft. seas as confirmed by the captain and lasting more than just a couple of hours. I was even bounced out of bed.:D

Edited by iheartbda

We were never sent to our cabins. I was all around the ship most of the day and night.

A news story says "The Mom won the trip at work and decided to take her daughter".

This makes sense to why she behaved the way she did. Odds are she was clueless on cruising. Bermuda route can generally have a little sea turbulence crossing the Atlantic. Add a tropical storm and it can be an adventure. I went on the Empress years ago between Ernesto and Florence. Sure there was rocking and rolling and rocky seas. But never felt it was unsafe

We were never sent to our cabins. I was all around the ship most of the day and night.

Must depend on the captain or the conditions. We had 120 Knott winds, and someone said 60 foot swells. In the captain's comments at the C&A reception, he talked about 100+ Knott winds, but we never saw an official account of the size of the swells.

Pasting an interesting article from CC. What's most interesting is that RCI claims Freedom was the first scheduled to depart that day. I'm not saying they were lying, but I'm such a nerd I had watched it sail on the port cam for several weeks before our trip and Freedom NEVER went first. I was slightly confused about why we were taking off before Carnival and Disney. The compensation quoted in the article matches what we received.

Obviously we hold no grudges. We've sailed with them three times since, and have two more cruises scheduled. Heck, it's far more dangerous to get behind the wheel here in Texas. ;)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4628

Must depend on the captain or the conditions. We had 120 Knott winds, and someone said 60 foot swells. In the captain's comments at the C&A reception, he talked about 100+ Knott winds, but we never saw an official account of the size of the swells.

Pasting an interesting article from CC. What's most interesting is that RCI claims Freedom was the first scheduled to depart that day. I'm not saying they were lying, but I'm such a nerd I had watched it sail on the port cam for several weeks before our trip and Freedom NEVER went first. I was slightly confused about why we were taking off before Carnival and Disney. The compensation quoted in the article matches what we received.

Obviously we hold no grudges. We've sailed with them three times since, and have two more cruises scheduled. Heck, it's far more dangerous to get behind the wheel here in Texas. ;)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4628

Sorry I thought you were referring to the Anthem cruise last week.

Sorry I thought you were referring to the Anthem cruise last week.

Ha! Nope. But it would be interesting to know if there's protocol or if it's up to the captain. There have certainly been experiences worse than ours, such as that other one that was out of NJ within the past year or so - I've lost track of time. :) Wasn't that also the Anthem?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=948655

Now that's funny! The winning prize was a cruise during hurricane season!!:eek:

What did she win the trip for? Most hated Coworker in the office? Worst salesperson of the year?:D