Flip Flops in restaurants?

Msmojo66

Greetings

This topic seems to appear on every cruise board from time to time. My observation from cruising on both Getaway and Escape was that thong type sandals, not shower shoes, were often seen on both men and women in the two MDR's which allowed shorts. Those are Taste and Savor. The Manhattan room had a dressier requirement. Not saying this is the official policy, but this is what was seen.

Good Sailing

Tom

My Story.

On the newly refurbished Dawn.

In the Aqua MDR @ a two top.

The guy in the chair beside me, done with desert, decides to share photos in his phone with his girl.

He move to the bench/long couch type seat against the wall.

Kick's off his flip flops, troughs his hairy legs with bare feet up on the brand new upholstery, kicking D.W. dinner napkin .

D.W. chewed butt. :eek:

Edited by biker@sea

I'm gonna go there and say these rules are a bit passé fashion wise and I'm sure plenty will show up with the new style shredded jeans and their designer flip flops and be allowed in. It's not about being entitled. It's about a cruiseline adjusting to what's in fashion or not. Jmo. This doesn't mean that I personally would wear the shredded jeans and flip flops.

There is clearly a difference between these:

flip10byroxicns.jpg

And these:

Carliesilver.png

I would never wear the first to dinner, and I would never wear the second to the beach

Yes! And I own both pair! One is strictly for the pool, beach and park while the other is perfectly acceptable on a warm weather or summer cruise and a cute outfit for dinner.

There is a difference and EVERY gal born in the last 50 yrs knows it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have worn my nice leather and rhinestone sandals in the dining rooms. they look like flip flops but are not plastic. My rule of thumb is no plastic shoes in the dining area's, only shoes I can dress up in and would be fine wearing in a nice restaurant at home. I also have a couple pr of kitten heel sandals that are of the thong styling just for my cruises, lower heel so if the boat is rolling I am not following(lol, in high heels I have "pitched" a couple times).

On my last cruise though I was disappointed(it was Carnival and they do have the same rules I think though) my female friend and her daughter that came consistently were wearing cute summer dresses and cheap old navy rubber colored flops. wasn't horrible looking I guess but a little informal and you could hear the rubber slapping skin every time they walked in

The pictured silver shoes are sandals. Just because they go between your toes, doesn't make them flip flops. I wouldn't wear them to dinner with the queen but they seem just fine for a sundress on a cruise.

And regarding the statement torn jeans and flip flops are fashionable..... Hahahaha

As the mother of a fashion designer, I can assure you that's not fashion... Unless you're in high school. It is a trend but that doesn't mean it's a good look for a nice dinner. I'm old and have new jeans with holes but still... No.

The pictured silver shoes are sandals. Just because they go between your toes, doesn't make them flip flops. I wouldn't wear them to dinner with the queen but they seem just fine for a sundress on a cruise.

And regarding the statement torn jeans and flip flops are fashionable..... Hahahaha

As the mother of a fashion designer, I can assure you that's not fashion... Unless you're in high school. It is a trend but that doesn't mean it's a good look for a nice dinner. I'm old and have new jeans with holes but still... No.

Seriously? Tell that to Bloomingdales. It is a trend and yes young folks go on cruises. So everyone is expected to dress like a fashion designer's mother on the cruise? Smh

LOL, we just finished watching that show (the ending, well, I won't give it away...). John Turturro deserves an Emmy nom, for certain! But, let's be clear, he was wearing sandals, NOT flip flops!

So the thread and wondered if Stone was posting from "The Night Of" :rolleyes:

They really don't enforce any type of dress codes at all. I was just off the Breakaway yesterday. We had 4 meals in the Manhattan Room and many people were in shorts, t shirts and flip flops. On Saturday night I saw a couple on the dance floor. She was in a very nice dress with heels. He was wearing a golf shirt, shorts and basic flip flops. Looked totally odd dancing together but he wasn't the only one dressed like that.

Wear what you want. No one is going to stop you. If by some odd chance they do, run to the room and change real quick.

This isn't true of ships from every homeport.

On this thread, discussing dress on NCL ships, it seems silly to focus on whether footwear is leather or rubber, and plain or with rhinestones, when they are worn with jeans, tee-shirts, shorts, ball-caps, etc. After all, most of the time in the MDR the footwear is less visible than the rest ------- under the table.

On this thread, discussing dress on NCL ships, it seems silly to focus on whether footwear is leather or rubber, and plain or with rhinestones, when they are worn with jeans, tee-shirts, shorts, ball-caps, etc. After all, most of the time in the MDR the footwear is less visible than the rest ------- under the table.

What I meant was that at the end of Summer there are ships from some homeports that have given up on any dress code. Because the crew has simply had their fill of ....

well, anyway, they just give up.

On the Escape earlier in the year there were flip flops, shorts even men wearing baseball caps in Cagneys during dinner. Nobody seemed to care.

Wearing a hat at dinner is a big no no!

Also people wearing the basketball shirts with no sleeves (not sure what the correct term is) and t-shirts with no sleeves we would call them vests.

It would be nice if people looked like they hadn't just come in from the pool for dinner!!