silly question involving muster drill on NCL

Bookbug53

What procedure is followed if a passenger misses a muster drill? Are they then paged the next morning to complete one?

I know it sounds weird but a friend insists this is the procedure.

Never having sailed NCL I thought I would ask people in the know.

wondering why someone would "miss" something that is mandatory and takes maybe 15 minutes out of 167 hrs? unless there is a REALLY good reason to miss it like you miss the ship or have significant problems like someone that needs accommodations for handicap reasons this is a mandatory drill that may save a life , kinda like the announcement on a flight that so many ignore till there is a problem. IMHO I do believe it is made up the next day and hopefully it wont be needed the night before!!

Edited by Diane123boys

On the newer ships, immediately following muster drill you get a message on your TV to report to the make-up muster drill the next morning. NCL knows who went and who didn't because they scan your cruise card at the muster drill. The reason I know this is that I went to muster drill, my card was scanned, but apparently it didn't work and I got this message. Luckily I was in a suite, so I went to the concierge and she took care of the problem for me, otherwise, I would have had to go to guest services to straighten this out.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

What procedure is followed if a passenger misses a muster drill? Are they then paged the next morning to complete one?

I know it sounds weird but a friend insists this is the procedure.

Never having sailed NCL I thought I would ask people in the know.

The passenger isn't paged so far as I know. On newer ships there is evidently a message for them on their tv to report to make-up drill. On the older ships the person receives a note in their stateroom telling them to show up for the make up drill.

The muster drill is mandatory. Refusal to attend the make up drill after missing the compulsory muster drill is grounds for being evicted from the ship at the first port.

On the newer ships, immediately following muster drill you get a message on your TV to report to the make-up muster drill the next morning. NCL knows who went and who didn't because they scan your cruise card at the muster drill. The reason I know this is that I went to muster drill, my card was scanned, but apparently it didn't work and I got this message. Luckily I was in a suite, so I went to the concierge and she took care of the problem for me, otherwise, I would have had to go to guest services to straighten this out.

Funny thing is that we were on a B2B and asked the Concierge if we had to attend yet ANOTHER muster drill as our tickets showed ONE 14 day cruise....which was actually and 8 + 6....but anyway, she "winked" and said that she would NOT say a thing about it if we chose NOT to attend the second drill...

Sure thing, we rec'd a letter in our stateroom stating that we had to attend a make up drill the next day. We were very embarrased...but did show up to the "make up" drill the following day.

Even worse was the officer in charge of the make up drill said that there were 183 passengers that had NOT been at the original drill....and thanked those 26 of us that DID show up numerous times. We felt SO bad....as we truly thought that as we were booked on a 14 day cruise.....that the second muster drill did NOT apply to us.

Not sure how they handled the people that were still MIA from the make up drill! Rest assured that we will NOT miss any muster drills in the future!

Funny thing is that we were on a B2B and asked the Concierge if we had to attend yet ANOTHER muster drill as our tickets showed ONE 14 day cruise....which was actually and 8 + 6....but anyway, she "winked" and said that she would NOT say a thing about it if we chose NOT to attend the second drill...

Sure thing, we rec'd a letter in our stateroom stating that we had to attend a make up drill the next day. We were very embarrased...but did show up to the "make up" drill the following day.

Even worse was the officer in charge of the make up drill said that there were 183 passengers that had NOT been at the original drill....and thanked those 26 of us that DID show up numerous times. We felt SO bad....as we truly thought that as we were booked on a 14 day cruise.....that the second muster drill did NOT apply to us.

Not sure how they handled the people that were still MIA from the make up drill! Rest assured that we will NOT miss any muster drills in the future!

We have been on B2B cruises where attendance at the 2nd drill was not mandatory but in those cases an announcement was made that 'in transit' passengers did not have to attend.

On other B2B cruises we were expected to attend the second drill. So it varies.

{Snipped} NCL knows who went and who didn't because they scan your cruise card at the muster drill.

I wonder if this is new as we have never had our card scanned when going to a MD. We are asked for our room number and then the name is confirmed by the staff member on duty from the paper list that was being carried.

The first time we did a B2B we caused a problem as we turned up for the MD on the second half and weren't on the paper list. The person taking the roll didn't know what to do and told us we weren't needed.

Ever since we have not attended the second MD of a B2B or the third of a B2B2B.

wondering why someone would "miss" something that is mandatory and takes maybe 15 minutes out of 167 hrs?

The usual reason is that you aren't on the ship.

Most often on later departures, where the drill can happen a few hours before departure. European iyineraries for example and I suspect a few were missed on the Escape lately

I wonder if this is new as we have never had our card scanned when going to a MD. We are asked for our room number and then the name is confirmed by the staff member on duty from the paper list that was being carried.

Yeah, I believe it is new and/or is only on the newer ships at the moment (I'm not sure which ship you were on last)?

On both of my Epic cruises (2012 and 2014), it was the paper list and the muster person just asked for my room number, but last November, on the Escape, my room card was scanned.

Our cruise on NCL out of Venice had MD in the middle of the day of an evening sail. As we were exploring Venice and nowhere near the ship, we missed the MD. Got a notice in our mailbox of the makeup drill the next day. It was packed because so many passengers missed the MD.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wonder if this is new as we have never had our card scanned when going to a MD. We are asked for our room number and then the name is confirmed by the staff member on duty from the paper list that was being carried. ...

That has always been our experience on NCL as well, including this past April. But we've only cruised the smaller ships: Sun, Star, Jade, Jewel. Maybe the megaships scan cards??

On the mega ships, they use hand scanners. One, it shows the face of the person being scanned (positive ID). Two, it is providing real time data to the bridge on the number of "missing" passengers. Allows them to delay the start of muster info if lots are not at their station yet.

wondering why someone would "miss" something that is mandatory and takes maybe 15 minutes out of 167 hrs? unless there is a REALLY good reason to miss it like you miss the ship or have significant problems like someone that needs accommodations for handicap reasons this is a mandatory drill that may save a life , kinda like the announcement on a flight that so many ignore till there is a problem. IMHO I do believe it is made up the next day and hopefully it wont be needed the night before!!

One example is the Escape currently does muster at 4:30. It doesn't sail until 7:00. All aboard is 5:00-6:00. You could legitimately miss muster and need to do make up.

I am always amazed at the number of people who come in as muster is ending.

One example is the Escape currently does muster at 4:30. It doesn't sail until 7:00. All aboard is 5:00-6:00. You could legitimately miss muster and need to do make up.

I am always amazed at the number of people who come in as muster is ending.

Some will most likely miss the drill with that schedule. They could probably switch the drill with all aboard times.

Some will most likely miss the drill with that schedule. They could probably switch the drill with all aboard times.

They can't move the drill much later as it will clash with the restaurants opening for dinner.

That sort of timing is very common in Europe. The make up drills the next day can be fairly busy.

They want the crew and passengers ready for 5:30 dinner openings.

The only cruise I have seen done differently is the Sun in Alaska where they actually stop dinner service for muster.

They can't move the drill much later as it will clash with the restaurants opening for dinner.

That sort of timing is very common in Europe. The make up drills the next day can be fairly busy.

Got both your point. Thanks.

They want the crew and passengers ready for 5:30 dinner openings.

The only cruise I have seen done differently is the Sun in Alaska where they actually stop dinner service for muster.