Mini-Bar

Jalex63

Unfortunately, there is a limit to how much wine one fairly small lady can imbibe without becoming a danger to herself and others. Hmmm... port day... a glass of wine (or two) with lunch, a glass (or two) at dinner, then Happy Hour in the Crow's Nest... sea day... a glass of wine (or two) with lunch, mid afternoon wine tasting, Sip and Savor at 5, glass (or two) at dinner, followed by Happy Hour, hope to make it back to my cabin without embarrassing myself!

All I can say is that I want to be best friends with Mame42 - I think we would have a GREAT time! Cheers! And a toast to the VINO and cruising! Love your style, Madame! :D

thanks i always bring a small collapsible cooler and steward puts beers on ice as those minifrig don't get all that cold.... and i like ice cold beers.

Thanks for this great idea. I can bring a medium size insulated bag to hold the ice bucket and a bottle or two of water for coming back from shore excursions. Beats spending $96 on a 48-night cruise - OV on Amsterdam has no frig. m--

My experience is that if you order a six-pack of beer to the cabin, you DO NOT get the 4-star discount. I don't know about individual can orders.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

A six pack of beer (I think that is the bucket of beer?) is NOT a mini bar purchase but a room service/Lido order, so the 4* Mariner discount would not apply to it. You do save the cost of a beer though ;)

Now, if your mini bar was stocked with 6 beers and you chose to drink them, that is a horse of a different colour ;)

Keep forgetting that 4 star get 50% discount on the Mini Bar.. Assume we will have a mini bar in our Balcony cabin on the Zuiderdam in Oct... Have a couple of questions..

A) We were going to order a large bottle of Kahula & Vodka or Capt Morgan from Room Svc. but don't think we would finish all three in 11 days.. We really don't want to carry left over liquor home..

Instead, can we request just certain liquors to stock the Mini bar such as Kahula (sp?)Vodka & Capt. Morgan spiced Rum? Then DH could have his black Russians & I could have my Rum & Coke or a Bloody Mary while we're dressing for dinner..

B) Do they have mixers such as Bloody Mary Mix or Mai Tai Mix etc? If so, what would the price be for the mixers?

C) Am I correct is figuring that a 4 star would pay for a Rum & Coke -

$2.62 for Rum, $1.12 for coke plus the Service charge or is the Coke full price at $2.25..

Thanks..

Edited by serendipity1499

I am assuming the 50% mini-bar discount only works if you have a mini-bar… if you don't have one?

Just ask for it at the Front Office while embarking (be fast) or better : advise the Ship service dept before cruising.

Holacanada from Quebec City

Edited by holacanada

Keep forgetting that 4 star get 50% discount on the Mini Bar.. Assume we will have a mini bar in our Balcony cabin on the Zuiderdam in Oct... Have a couple of questions..

A) We were going to order a large bottle of Kahula & Vodka or Capt Morgan from Room Svc. but don't think we would finish all three in 11 days.. We really don't want to carry left over liquor home..

Instead, can we request just certain liquors to stock the Mini bar such as Kahula (sp?)Vodka & Capt. Morgan spiced Rum? Then DH could have his black Russians & I could have my Rum & Coke or a Bloody Mary while we're dressing for dinner..

B) Do they have mixers such as Bloody Mary Mix or Mai Tai Mix etc? If so, what would the price be for the mixers?

C) Am I correct is figuring that a 4 star would pay for a Rum & Coke -

$2.62 for Rum, $1.12 for coke plus the Service charge or is the Coke full price at $2.25..

Thanks..

Betty, I don't know if you can order specific types that are not standard in the mini bar. They most likely don't have the small bottles? Maybe a call to shipboard services?

You can order what is normally stocked in the mini bar (ie., if you want more Coke (which is in the bar), you can ask for it. Same with the wine and anything else normally in the bar.

They did have a Clamato/Bloody Mary Mix in a can when we were on board. I bought them from the bar and took them back to the room. I think it was around $3.00 but my memory could be short.

The 4* discount works the same as it does for the wine package. You pay the service charge based on the full price and 1/2 price for the item itself. Coke is indeed 1/2 price if taken from the mini bar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For my upcoming cruise, I had contacted Ship Services a few months ago to "tweak" the mini bar contents to our desires (we don't drink colas and DM likes the occasional ginger ale to settle her stomach). I was advised that while the contents could be tweaked, any contents that are not part of the regular mini bar setup would NOT qualify for the 3 or 4 star discounts. As with anything that Ship Services advises, I am somewhat skeptical, particularly in view of some of the statements above. Has anyone actually gotten their discount from requested items?

On our last cruise, when DM requested ginger ale from the beverage staff who were restocking the mini bars, she was charged full price for a six pack. We were able to send it back for a full refund and we got our pop at the Explorations Cafe where we did receive our 50% discount. We were also told by both the beverage staff and later by Ship Services that any special requests, for the mini bar setup, had to be arranged in advance of the cruise.

For my upcoming cruise, I had contacted Ship Services a few months ago to "tweak" the mini bar contents to our desires (we don't drink colas and DM likes the occasional ginger ale to settle her stomach). I was advised that while the contents could be tweaked, any contents that are not part of the regular mini bar setup would NOT qualify for the 3 or 4 star discounts. As with anything that Ship Services advises, I am somewhat skeptical, particularly in view of some of the statements above. Has anyone actually gotten their discount from requested items?

On our last cruise, when DM requested ginger ale from the beverage staff who were restocking the mini bars, she was charged full price for a six pack. We were able to send it back for a full refund and we got our pop at the Explorations Cafe where we did receive our 50% discount. We were also told by both the beverage staff and later by Ship Services that any special requests, for the mini bar setup, had to be arranged in advance of the cruise.

I received the discount on the Rotterdam for Diet Sprite and Woodbridge Merlot, both requested onboard, the Sprite from the beverage steward and the wine through the Neptune concierge.

All I can say is that I want to be best friends with Mame42 - I think we would have a GREAT time! Cheers! And a toast to the VINO and cruising! Love your style, Madame! :D

Thanks! Our paths will surely cross sooner or later.

Lonny

I received the discount on the Rotterdam for Diet Sprite and Woodbridge Merlot, both requested onboard, the Sprite from the beverage steward and the wine through the Neptune concierge.

Interesting. When was that? Our last cruise was in May/16. Of course, we were not in a Neptune Suite so, perhaps, that is another, unpublished, perk of the suite. Or else, it's one of those ship's discretion issues.

Interesting. When was that? Our last cruise was in May/16. Of course, we were not in a Neptune Suite so, perhaps, that is another, unpublished, perk of the suite. Or else, it's one of those ship's discretion issues.

Perhaps it depends on the individual steward's definition of "regular" mini bar contents. Some may interpret the list literally, while others may feel that a similarly priced soda is a soda is a soda (beer, wine, etc.).

Perhaps it depends on the individual steward's definition of "regular" mini bar contents. Some may interpret the list literally, while others may feel that a similarly priced soda is a soda is a soda (beer, wine, etc.).

Possibly but both Ship Services and the Beverage Steward (who was also our wine steward in the MDR), told me the standard setup (for rooms without a cooler; we were on the Zaandam) was two cokes, one or two diet cokes and a couple of bottles of water (I can't remember it all but there were only about six cans/bottles on the counter). With both of them telling me the same thing, I had to think it was correct.

I'll ask again on our upcoming cruise but we'll be in a Vista ship so will have a cooler this time. Maybe that's the difference?

Betty, I don't know if you can order specific types that are not standard in the mini bar. They most likely don't have the small bottles? Maybe a call to shipboard services?

You can order what is normally stocked in the mini bar (ie., if you want more Coke (which is in the bar), you can ask for it. Same with the wine and anything else normally in the bar.

They did have a Clamato/Bloody Mary Mix in a can when we were on board. I bought them from the bar and took them back to the room. I think it was around $3.00 but my memory could be short.

The 4* discount works the same as it does for the wine package. You pay the service charge based on the full price and 1/2 price for the item itself. Coke is indeed 1/2 price if taken from the mini bar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Jacqui..Instead of ordering the large bottles of liquor think we'll go with whats in the mini bar.. This way we'll carry only 2 bottles of wine OB & will wait till we board to order a wine package..

Ok Thanks.. If we need more of something will plan on getting it at the Explorations café..

Does anyone remember what liquor minis are usually stocked in the mini bar? Thanks!

My memory is short but I believe there were scotch, rye, rum, cognac at least.

I think Johnny Walker was in there. Quite sure there was a vodka but I can't swear to it. Hopefully others can add to the list.

Does anyone remember what liquor minis are usually stocked in the mini bar? Thanks!

The contents of our mini-bar on the Nieuw Amsterdam (May 2016) were (taken from my photographs):

Smirnoff Vodka

Bombay Sapphire

Bacardi Rum (white)

Courvoiseir Cognac

Johnny Walker - Black and Red Whiskey

Beefeater Gin

Henkell Tocken

Vendange Cabernet Savignon and Pinot Noir

Red Bull

Miller Lite

Heineken

Coke