FIL paying for cruise

We are planning a cruise with the whole family, (19 of us.) after we board the ship can we put our name with our credit card? I don't want to feel funny about what we buy during the cruise. I'm sure we will purchase drink packages but don't want him to pay for it.

You can set up your own credit card during online check-in, at the check-in counter in the terminal, or on board. Your choice.

Edited by clarea

We are planning a cruise with the whole family, (19 of us.) after we board the ship can we put our name with our credit card? I don't want to feel funny about what we buy during the cruise. I'm sure we will purchase drink packages but don't want him to pay for it.

easier to do it prior to boarding, both online when you check in and then when you arrive at the pier too get your sea pass card and whatnot. every individual PERSON has their own folio number where all transactions made by said person are kept track of, (even the kids)

If your FIL booked and paid for the group with his credit card, might be better if you put in your credit card during check-in with your FIL at the terminal. This way, your FIL knows that whatever you buy onboard is on your account.

I am a FIL (not OP's) and have done three such family cruises.

Your FIL's CC will not be linked to on board purchases unless he goes into your reservation and puts it there.

Just because he made and paid for the trip doesn't automatically put charges on his card, unless he did it or had the TA do it.

We are taking kids and grandkids on the Allure next month and I did agree to "underwrite" some expenses. I purchased their drink package by going into their reservation number and buying it for them.

I also told them I would pay for some babysitting so I am going to buy a gift certificate for OBC and then credit it to their account before we leave.

So bottom line is just go into your documents and just put your CC in.

I am a FIL (not OP's) and have done three such family cruises.

Your FIL's CC will not be linked to on board purchases unless he goes into your reservation and puts it there.

Just because he made and paid for the trip doesn't automatically put charges on his card, unless he did it or had the TA do it.

We are taking kids and grandkids on the Allure next month and I did agree to "underwrite" some expenses. I purchased their drink package by going into their reservation number and buying it for them.

I also told them I would pay for some babysitting so I am going to buy a gift certificate for OBC and then credit it to their account before we leave.

So bottom line is just go into your documents and just put your CC in.

You sound just like my Dad. Very generous in playing for the cruise for the kids, spouses and grandkids. He's done many family trips this way. And yes you're correct about the credit card.

Just bc FIL pays, doesn't mean his credit card he pays the deposit and/or balance with, is on the account for charges on the ship. That is set up when the person on the booking goes to do all the check-in stuff.

Hope that makes sense.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I am a MIL and have treated my adult children and their spouses to several cruises with us. I always say that it is my gift to myself to have them with me!

The only condition is that they pay for whatever expenses they incur on board for themselves. So when they do their onlne check-ins, they input their own credit cards.

Good children that they are, they always show some sort of appreciation by gifting my husband and I either drink packages or an excursion, which shows up on my cruise planner before we sail!

To the generous MIL and FIL- do any of you have unmarried children? [emoji23]

Sorry no, but that's funny!!!

and "yes" it is more of a gift to us than it is to them. Heck, we get the 5 and 2 year old granddaughters to ourselves for a week; does it get any better?

Once they upgraded us to a GS on the Mariners and it pretty much hooked us on suites.

Sorry no, but that's funny!!!

and "yes" it is more of a gift to us than it is to them. Heck, we get the 5 and 2 year old granddaughters to ourselves for a week; does it get any better?

Once they upgraded us to a GS on the Mariners and it pretty much hooked us on suites.

That's fantastic. I hope to be able to take my family on trips like that. I'm the only one among my parents and siblings that has experienced cruising and really want to take them all on one some day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's fantastic. I hope to be able to take my family on trips like that. I'm the only one among my parents and siblings that has experienced cruising and really want to take them all on one some day!

We first took our two boys on a Disney Cruise, back when it was still the "Big Red Boat" and Disney didn't have their own ships. Later we took them on the NCL Norway. They have been hooked on cruising ever since.

We still laugh, when they came home from middle school one day and said, "we never go anywhere." Apparently, some classmate had gone to Disneyland. We told them, "you go back to school and ask how many have been on two cruises?"

On a darker note, when DW was growing up her dad owned his own business, physically worked hard, and was away from home for weeks at a time. She recalls, "when I retire" we will travel to all these places. At 46 her mom got sick and died. They only did one "bucket list" trip to Tahiti.

DW and I (mostly her) have been married 37 years and seldom do we say "wait until we retire."

Edited by jamesr3939