Are you thinking of giving up on NCL?

spanishguy1970

Are you a loyal customer? and what makes you keep coming back?

My first cruise was in 2009 on the Norwegian Gem Barcelona to New York. I remember being excited and nervous, it was my first cruise and and a transtatlantic to boot. I loved every minute of it so much so that NCL got me hooked. I have to admit at that time there was an older latitudes program, I never thought i would make it to Platinum and did not care. Cappuccinos were free, room service was free, no gratuities charges in specialty restaurants ( we did leave a tip though). there was just one time fee to eat at the specialty restaurants, for instance $10 dollars for the Mexican restaurant, 20 for Le bistro, $25 for Cagney well you all get the picture. We loved the staff, the service, the people etc.

In 2010 we came back on the Gem from Venice to New York. On the ship it was announced that the Epic was going to takes its place doing Transatlantics and we thought to ourselves hmmm, no, too big for our taste. On that route, 2 days before we got to New York the weather was so horrible that when we were on our way to eat at the Buffet a 40 foot wave hit the ship and i was thrown across the room, hurting my left arm, some people got broken bones, noses, plates thrown everywhere, everything in our refrigerator came out, thown all over the floor it was a nightmare. I had to wear a sling across my arm. This event did not discourage me to keep coming back to NCL in fact i have been loyal ever since. I like the freestyle and it staff. I like their itineraries, their price ( although i do see their prices have gone up) which is understandable. We have done ALaska ( 28 days) and now I have to admit we will be on our first cruise on the Epic after all this time. I think what keeps bringing us back is the freestyle and the good Transatlantics. We enjoy our 6 days at sea. :D

I guess i am biased. I don't know if i will ever look at other cruise lines, but will never say never, since i said i was not going on the Epic and here i am, going on it in October. i also have to admit that i do understand why some loyal customers feel their loyalty is not appreciated. I can certainly see the changes, the price increases, the various fees and how some may think their money does not go as far as it used to with NCL but quite frankly what does these days?. At the end of the day I am the one who makes the choice to stay with NCL, at least FOR NOW. This is all IMHO, so no flaming allowed. Happy cruising everyone :D:)

P.S * forgive any grammatical errors, i am in a hurry!:eek:

I've sailed three cruise lines, and at least for now NCL is my best vacation choice. I've sailed with them twice and have three more booked. Not looking to change. :D

I don't like all the changes they're making--too many, too fast. Some of them do look like money-grabs. Fortunately few of them impact me directly, but if they do, I'll vote with my vacation dollars (as I would expect others to do, too). what I don't get are the people who've decided they'll "never sail NCL again!" and yet stick around the NCL board to continue to complain about how angry they are. :rolleyes:

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

I really like Freestyle and the large choice of restaurants and bars compared to Celebrity, Fred Olsen and Cunard, the other lines I have sailed with. That said I have always had the UBP and UDP/SDP so not too bothered by having to pay for extras.

I have cruised Royal Caribbean 6X, Princess 3X, Celebrity 1X, HAL 1X, Carnival 1X and NCL 5X. I liked all of those cruises. NCL has the Haven Suites, got me kinda hooked. As long as I can sail out of Beantown or the NYC and not deal with airfare, I can cruise in a suite on NCL for the price of balcony, airfare and pre cruise hotel.

I feel the mainstream cruise lines have a lot more in common than differences. NCL officers do seem more out going to me.

No plans to give up on NCL. My DW and I just got back from a cruise and had a great time. We believe you make your own vacation and always feel we get our money's worth. We try not to let the little things get to us.

I wish there was a "like" button because that is exactly 100% correct. That is one of the best, most accurate post ever. Its exactly my thoughts. People are such whiners.

I'm going on 6 years of cruising all with NCL. I am platinum and think my 14th cruise is in 5 weeks on the Epic - 6th time on the Epic. I keep coming back as I love the ships, itineraries, and the CAS reward program. Have never paid more than 900 for two people. So if you gamble they have a great reward program.

Nope. Not even a question right now. I love the freestyle experience on NCL ships. The dining and entertainment options alone are enough to keep me hangin in there. Sailed on RCI's Oasis a couple of years ago and I was not impressed...at all. Beautiful ship, but the food and entertainment sucked!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Cruzncutie

I wouldn't give up on any cruise line that I like. But I would try others just for the experience and comparison.

Ditto. Was loyal Carnival and then changes came. I am trying my First NCL and First Transatlantic.

I will have fun, but since I booked over a year ago, I have seen lots of changes here also. I have not even sailed with them yet.

This is the first time in a long time that I don't have multiple cruises booked. My parents are going to Sandals in Grenada for their 50th, and we booked as well. It is refreshing to hear that it is truly all inclusive, with top shelf and all the lobster you can eat ;) It is also very expensive, so there are definitely pros and cons to an upscale all inclusive, as well as a cruise. I'm definitely not saying I wont cruise NCL again. I love freestyle, but I looking forward to this break.

We sail Sunday (Getaway) for my 5th NCL cruise. We have two young(ish) children so for us, at this point in our lives, we want the big ships with lots of stuff for the kids to do (translation: waterslides). So while I do love NCL we are sailing DCL next year and I've already booked RCI Harmony of the Seas for 2018. Not abandoning NCL, just not thrilled with the current itineraries/dates for the Escape and Epic. I did a quick 3 nighter on the Sky last year and would happily repeat that - but without kids (my kids would HATE that ship)

I have sailed on three cruise lines and enjoyed them all. I am happy with NCL because they encourage solo travelers and I love the freestyle, casual attitude.

The thing that bothers me, and would turn me away if I encountered it personally, is the way many posters report being rudely treated by shoreside customer service. Their "it is our company and we can change what we want" attitude is horribly offputting to me. It is contradictory to the always pleasant, friendly and helpful service I have found on the ships.

At this point there have been so many changes since I booked that I just look at as an adventure and roll with it.

I have sailed on three cruise lines and enjoyed them all. I am happy with NCL because they encourage solo travelers and I love the freestyle, casual attitude.

The thing that bothers me, and would turn me away if I encountered it personally, is the way many posters report being rudely treated by shoreside customer service. Their "it is our company and we can change what we want" attitude is horribly offputting to me. It is contradictory to the always pleasant, friendly and helpful service I have found on the ships.

At this point there have been so many changes since I booked that I just look at as an adventure and roll with it.

I have never encountered that, and I think the NCL crew are the friendliest at sea! Even the call center ... They may not always give the correct information, but I have always found them to be pleasant.

We were loyal to Royal, until this exact thing happened to us with the Empress of the Seas fiasco they screwed over their customer's with. We didn't abandon Royal we just abandoned loyalty to any cruise line. The blinders were taken off as it were.

We haven't experienced this with NCL, yet, but we know full well if we keep going on their cruises, that it will. It's happened to others, so it is just a matter of time.

All that being said, we enjoy cruising, we leave on the Adventure of the Seas in a few more days (RCCL), and have the Escape booked for 2017 (NCL). If we try to squeeze another cruise in the spring/summer of 2017 it will be based off where we want to go/what we want to do not what any particular cruise line is offering. The same holds true for our fall 2018 cruise.