Are you thinking of giving up on NCL?

spanishguy1970

No, we are not giving up on NCL. Still have a FCC we have to use by 2020. I'm sorry they're not sailing out of Houston any more because that was so convenient for us, but maybe we'll try the Dawn out of New Orleans.

But for our annual cruise next year we are trying river cruising for the first time. We got a really good deal on an AmaWaterways trip on the Seine from Paris to Normandy. Really excited about that!

But we will be back to Norwegian -- probably on a trip to Alaska. I have too many credit card points to leave just yet. Hoping for an upgrade with the points.

I see you posted this again. Other than the Liberty out of Galveston Thanksgiving week being 3x more expensive is that true for all sailings? Definitely not

Bill

Sorry if it posted twice, the app keeps telling me it didn't post and when I open the app again the post still sits there unposted, so I pressed send again.

I haven't done a comparison of a lot of sailings, but I've looked at both the breakaway and the getaway since they seem comparable to the voyager class ships I always sail on RC, and yes, the prices are still a lot less expensive, if not exactly 3 times as it is for thanksgiving, then definitely still 2 times. I see that the Christmas sailing is listed as $1,400, but that is an outlier.

The rest of the fares are $299, $399, $429 etc., you won't find fares anywhere close to that low on RC unless you're sailing for only 3 days or are sailing on a run down, tiny old ship. Nowadays, if you are lucky and can get a fare for $850 when the sailing is just released, you're lucky because you got the rock bottom price on RC, and they will only go up from there. Generally we're paying at least $1,000/person, and if you go to any of the newer, bigger ships, it's more like $1,800-$2,200 per person.

Not to mention, RC has never (and probably never will) offer free beverage packages (unless you book from the UK). Even paying $100 for taxes on a free package, that's a steal! If you buy a package on RC it'll cost you about $400, so add that to the cost and NCL is even more than 3 times less expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Rio to Buenos Aires - 8 ports in 11 days between Brazil, Uruguay, and Argentina!

Friend of mine and his wife did the South America trip a few years back when Chile had that massive earthquake in fact they thought their cruise would be canceled. He said so far it has been one of his favorite cruises, when he did it not so long after NCL canceled the South America cruises, so i am glad they brought them back. I am glad now Brazil is included, I would love to do that along with the Australia one. I would also like to do the Greek islands, and the one where it stops in Pompeii. :D

I will admit NCL is not my first choice when booking a cruise, personally their freestyle dining concept really isn't to my liking. I also find their entertainment, especially on smaller ships to be lacking. I do like the offer of the free drink package and I don't mind paying the gratuity on it.

However my first cruise was on Carnival and it was great and I would say out of cruise lines I can readily afford Carnival is my favorite. We have also sailed Disney, Royal, MSC and Princess. Hands down Disney would be my favorite, but I can't afford their cruises on a yearly basis.

Overall I look at the entire cost - dining, gratuity, drinks, transportation, etc. I have future cruises booked on MSC, Disney, Royal and Carnival. Other than my cruise next month on the Breakaway, we don't have another NCL cruise planned. Though right now my time is pretty booked with what we already have for 2017 and 2018, I don't think I could fit in another cruise unless it was super cheap.

Frequent cruiser and have taken the family (11) for the last eight years. I am on my Damn Dawn this year and it will be my last. The soda and water issue has been the last straw. I can afford the change but really have had it without really knowing what the final straw is. 2017, Carnival Fascination, 2018 Disney Wonder and Disneyworld.

Sorry if it posted twice, the app keeps telling me it didn't post and when I open the app again the post still sits there unposted, so I pressed send again.

I haven't done a comparison of a lot of sailings, but I've looked at both the breakaway and the getaway since they seem comparable to the voyager class ships I always sail on RC, and yes, the prices are still a lot less expensive, if not exactly 3 times as it is for thanksgiving, then definitely still 2 times. I see that the Christmas sailing is listed as $1,400, but that is an outlier.

The rest of the fares are $299, $399, $429 etc., you won't find fares anywhere close to that low on RC unless you're sailing for only 3 days or are sailing on a run down, tiny old ship. Nowadays, if you are lucky and can get a fare for $850 when the sailing is just released, you're lucky because you got the rock bottom price on RC, and they will only go up from there. Generally we're paying at least $1,000/person, and if you go to any of the newer, bigger ships, it's more like $1,800-$2,200 per person.

Not to mention, RC has never (and probably never will) offer free beverage packages (unless you book from the UK). Even paying $100 for taxes on a free package, that's a steal! If you buy a package on RC it'll cost you about $400, so add that to the cost and NCL is even more than 3 times less expensive.

Like I said in the other post you are comparing NCL ships in the FLL/MIA where there are a ton of berths to fill and plenty of competition to RCI which leaves from Galveston where is little to no competition so of course the prices are going to be higher.

These $399 prices, where are you seeing these? I have found them on the ships that need to get filled in the next couple of months but not on bookings further out.

I'm guessing you are booking guarantee rates on inside cabins to come up with those rates.

I agree with you on the drink package.

We are booked on Allure for the week after Thanksgiving in a boardwalk balcony. We paid $1800 total. You can book it now for $2000 total.

You say you haven't done a lot of comparison pricing but you state RCI is usually 2 to 3x more.:confused:

Bill

Not giving up on NCL, but it has lost it's "preferred status" with us. From now on, it's price and itinerary with no consideration given to how great NCL is/was. We are, for the first time in 4 years, actively looking at trying other lines.

Count 6 of us from our Family in on this too!

While we loved our NCL cruises, the next 2 are on Carnival and Princess for reasons mentioned above!

:)

Like I said in the other post you are comparing NCL ships in the FLL/MIA where there are a ton of berths to fill and plenty of competition to RCI which leaves from Galveston where is little to no competition so of course the prices are going to be higher.

These $399 prices, where are you seeing these? I have found them on the ships that need to get filled in the next couple of months but not on bookings further out.

I'm guessing you are booking guarantee rates on inside cabins to come up with those rates.

We are booked on Allure for the week after Thanksgiving in a boardwalk balcony. We paid $1800 total. You can book it now for $2000 total.

You say you haven't done a lot of comparison pricing but you state RCI is usually 2 to 3x more.:confused:

Bill

I don't know why you keep saying Liberty/Galveston. I am also comparing it to the Freedom which leaves from Orlando. And as I said, I'm speaking for cruises that I personally have looked at to cruise, and between the two lines, NCL prices win every time (granted, even with that comparison, the only cruise I currently have booked is on RC out of San Juan, but I'm looking to book something for his winter on NCL).

While it may not be apples to apples comparison overall, it is a valid comparison based on cruises I am personally looking to sail on both lines.

Liberty/Galveston cruises are also cheaper than the Freedom/Orlando cruises because it's harder to get people to want to travel from Galveston because it's such a hassle and transportation adds $150-$300 to the cost round trip from airport to cruise port. Sorry that I've obviously offended you by being convinced that all the cruises I've researched are so much cheaper on NCL than RC, but i keep coming up with under $500 on NCL and $950-$1,000 on RC.

When looking at NCL offerings out of San Juan, the cruises I can see are priced between $400-$599, my cruise leaving San Juan on RC is $1,059, if you add in the prices of drink packages, that makes the RC price $1,359, to me, that's pretty close to 3 times the price.

Bill

I agree, I find we get more bang for our buck on NCL maybe that is another reason we keep sailing with them.

I've never cruised with NCL before but have one booked for next year. I am excited to try them. Yes, they seem a bit more expensive than other lines but when it is all said and done, with the free items the cost is pretty much the same as other lines and I prefer to have everything paid up front anyway.

I know a lot of people are upset about the no soda/water rule but to be honest, of all the cruises I have been on (18) I only brought soda onboard once. No big deal to me as I actually found it annoying to carry around that 12 pack. Yes, I prefer Diet Coke to Pepsi, but it's not a make or break thing for me.

I have sailed on three cruise lines and enjoyed them all. I am happy with NCL because they encourage solo travelers and I love the freestyle, casual attitude.

The thing that bothers me, and would turn me away if I encountered it personally, is the way many posters report being rudely treated by shoreside customer service. Their "it is our company and we can change what we want" attitude is horribly offputting to me. It is contradictory to the always pleasant, friendly and helpful service I have found on the ships.

At this point there have been so many changes since I booked that I just look at as an adventure and roll with it.

Although they are wearing NCL uniforms, the shore people are not NCL employees, it depends on the Port. Tampa has been the worst customer service.

Guess I'm in the minority on this one.

Although I've only been on 1 NCL cruise (so not a "loyal" jumping ship), I would NOT book with them again. Had a great cruise but everything was subpar compared to other lines I have been on (except for the draft beer selection available in the District Brewhouse :p): food, service, bottled water issue, activities run by staff (ex: trivia), don't even get me started on the "freestyle" thing, etc.

I'm disappointed too because there is a NCL cruise next April/May my DH and I were planning on booking but after our Escape cruise we decided against it. :(

No, especially after my last cruise. It was great.

I even went to some specialty restaurants, their dining packages are well worth it.

I like the fact that I can get laundry bag done for half the price of X. There drink prices appear to be cheaper too. Itinerary and comfort. I always can afford a nicer cabin on NCL.

So no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way.

I know NCL has been making lot of changes, some of them unpopular, but when you're actually on the ship, so much of that just melts away.

Our recent cruise on the Escape was the best we've ever taken, in no small part due to how beautiful the ship was, and how wonderful the crew was. If anything, we've been enjoying NCL more, not less.

We're not going anywhere.

Not loyal. Drawn to NCL in the past because of price. Found it to be a good product. Tried DCL and RCCL and liked them both better. In the NYC market, Anthem & BA are often pricing fairly similar lately. Given that, I'd pick Anthem over BA any day.

It's a good product at the right price product but there are other lines equally good or better. Consider them if the price/ itinerary is right.

Edited by conandrob240

Frequent cruiser and have taken the family (11) for the last eight years. I am on my Damn Dawn this year and it will be my last. The soda and water issue has been the last straw. I can afford the change but really have had it without really knowing what the final straw is. 2017, Carnival Fascination, 2018 Disney Wonder and Disneyworld.

Carnival Fascination?? That is a pretty old ship!

Although they are wearing NCL uniforms, the shore people are not NCL employees, it depends on the Port. Tampa has been the worst customer service.

It is the customer service by phone that has had terrible reviews. People who called with questions or complaints about various changes that were announced after they booked, people unable to get refunds or reimbursements for cancelled cruises, etc. Because a big part of my job is taking calls from frustrated clients, I am always as pleasant and patient as possible when I have to call for help. This may not be the case with all who report bad results. If I get a rude phone rep, that may color my future choices.

I have been on over 43 cruises and my last 4 have been on NCL and all on the GEM. I happen to love the ship and truly love Cruising Freestyle. They have so many different options, you can do everything or nothing. You have the choice. I think they have a lot to offer and I can remember back in the day almost 20 years ago even 15 years ago NCL was not in the game, but now with all their new ships and the refurbishing of the older ones, I was so impressed and put my deposit down for 2 more cruises. Looking forward to their new Private Island in Belize and sailing the Escape.

I love their freestyle cruises as well, less pretentious although for some people it would seem different. ON my last cruise on the Jewel we got off the ship in Alaska and next to our ship there was a ship from Oceania. As we sat coming back from our shopping a couple of older women were there talking and one asks the other, What cruise line is that? and she responds is Norwegian, is the cruise line for BUMS. Is sad that some people view NCL as that..but to each its own, that is why there are so many choices of cruise lines. You pick what you want.

I don't know why you keep saying Liberty/Galveston. I am also comparing it to the Freedom which leaves from Orlando. And as I said, I'm speaking for cruises that I personally have looked at to cruise, and between the two lines, NCL prices win every time (granted, even with that comparison, the only cruise I currently have booked is on RC out of San Juan, but I'm looking to book something for his winter on NCL).

While it may not be apples to apples comparison overall, it is a valid comparison based on cruises I am personally looking to sail on both lines.

Liberty/Galveston cruises are also cheaper than the Freedom/Orlando cruises because it's harder to get people to want to travel from Galveston because it's such a hassle and transportation adds $150-$300 to the cost round trip from airport to cruise port. Sorry that I've obviously offended you by being convinced that all the cruises I've researched are so much cheaper on NCL than RC, but i keep coming up with under $500 on NCL and $950-$1,000 on RC.

When looking at NCL offerings out of San Juan, the cruises I can see are priced between $400-$599, my cruise leaving San Juan on RC is $1,059, if you add in the prices of drink packages, that makes the RC price $1,359, to me, that's pretty close to 3 times the price.

Not offended at all and don't care which cruise lines anybody picks.

I just like all the facts presented correctly so people who are contemplating either line have unbiased facts. I like NCL cruises as much as RCI cruises.

That's a nice price for a southern Caribbean cruise on NCL @$400-$599 plus the drinks package. I didn't think those cheapie fares qualified for any perks but shows what I know.

I also couldn't find sailings on Freedom from Orlando. I saw them from Fort Lauderdale.

In the end I wish you the warmest of breezes and the smoothest of seas on your upcoming cruise.:)

Bill

I love their freestyle cruises as well, less pretentious although for some people it would seem different. ON my last cruise on the Jewel we got off the ship in Alaska and next to our ship there was a ship from Oceania. As we sat coming back from our shopping a couple of older women were there talking and one asks the other, What cruise line is that? and she responds is Norwegian, is the cruise line for BUMS. Is sad that some people view NCL as that..but to each its own, that is why there are so many choices of cruise lines. You pick what you want.

Our definition of a "BUM" can be one who brags or is boastful;)

ie "He was bumming about the new car he'd bought" -

ie "She's such a bum" - meaning - she is a bragger.

Seems your Oceania guests were a pair of bums themselves ;)

I always remember being on a P&O cruise years ago - I mentioned having enjoyed cruising with Norwegian.

This snooty English lady replied

"OH goodness NO!" - "There are no English on board and its filled with Americans!"

"Precisely" we replied with a smile :D

Even with the "Nickel and Diming" that others aren't so happy about, they're still the best value cruise line around IMO.

Looking at other cruise lines, no unlimited drinks package, set dining times, having to pay for onboard activities.

It just seems to me that there is no other cruise line that offers what NCL offers.

Carnival Fascination?? That is a pretty old ship!

As long as a ship is well maintained it doesn't matter how old it is and it appears from all that I've seen and read that Fascination is well maintained. We'll find out for sure in 30 days though:).