Are you thinking of giving up on NCL?

spanishguy1970

Point well taken, I can see about the tipping mindset, and that we were told they would not charge the tips, etc. But consider this: NCL is charging us for service not rendered. If we consume $40.00 worth of drinks per day, NCL takes it upon itself to charge us not for 18% of $40.00, but for the full cost of the package, last I checked around $79.00 or more. So you get charged 18% of $79.00, which roughly comes out to be about 36% service charge, or charging for services not rendered. I wonder what happens if one consumes more than $79.00 per day? Will you get charged over and above what you have already paid? I do not know, I do not think I have ever reached package the dollar limit. If you are happy with this set up, then NCL is great, otherwise this is something to consider when choosing a cruise line.

Cheers

Let's see. Say I receive a gift card to a restaurant for $100, and order a $100 posted menu dinner. If I have them hold the potato and dessert that was included, I should only tip the server on $75 since I skipped 25% of the meal? The dinner (or drinks package in this case) had to be assigned a value. The posted price seems as good a way as any.

And if you don't get the value of that perk, why choose it? There's more than one to pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let's see. Say I receive a gift card to a restaurant for $100, and order a $100 posted menu dinner. If I have them hold the potato and dessert that was included, I should only tip the server on $75 since I skipped 25% of the meal? The dinner (or drinks package in this case) had to be assigned a value. The posted price seems as good a way as any.

And if you don't get the value of that perk, why choose it? There's more than one to pick.

Kind of a moot point anyway since the 18% gratuity cannot be adjusted (at least not that I am aware of).

I found this from a September 2014 (prior to the 18% gratuity being added) post asking if gratuities were included in the UDP purchase price, I guess I would think it would be the same if it were given as a perk, but don't know:

I know this has been asked before and there is a article in cruise critic saying that tipping is not required but on the FAQ page on NCL site they say

"Q. ARE GRATUITIES INCLUDED IN THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE PURCHASE PRICE?

A. No. If you wish to recognize the crew for their service, you may do so at time of service using the gratuity line on the check. Plus, a beverage gratuity of 15% will automatically be added to all beverage sales"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2103170&highlight=udp+gratuities

A gratuity is something that is given without claim or demand.

NCL is ignoring this and is charging guests the amount NCL determines they want or need.

You make an interesting point. To me the whole concept of charging a fee

(it is not really a gratuity as pointed out by others) on something proffered as free is misleading.

That's a big ole pet peeve of mine with most cruise line promotions.

We all know nothing is free....yet their respective Marketing Departments keep trying to make us think it is! HAHA!

:mad:

Yes, I suppose that if I was dealing with an item such as a dinner, which comes, and it is handled and served as one unit, at one time, I would consider services rendered for the entire item and value,no matter how finicky and inconsiderate I behaved. In the case you state, I would also see and deal with the server directly, and be able to hand him/her the tip value directly, it would be a fair exchange. The drinks issue does not conform to any of those standards. It is usually served one piece at a time, in different venues, by different people. The point is that one is being charged ahead of time, for service not rendered.

Let's look at it another way: if you received your gift card and never used it, would you feel great if the company sent you a bill for the service charge of the service you never got?

Cheers.

Point well taken, I can see about the tipping mindset, and that we were told they would not charge the tips, etc. But consider this: NCL is charging us for service not rendered. If we consume $40.00 worth of drinks per day, NCL takes it upon itself to charge us not for 18% of $40.00, but for the full cost of the package, last I checked around $79.00 or more. So you get charged 18% of $79.00, which roughly comes out to be about 36% service charge, or charging for services not rendered. I wonder what happens if one consumes more than $79.00 per day? Will you get charged over and above what you have already paid? I do not know, I do not think I have ever reached package the dollar limit. If you are happy with this set up, then NCL is great, otherwise this is something to consider when choosing a cruise line.

Cheers

The way I look at it, if one doesn't think they will drink an amount equal to or more than the 18% gratuity, then they should pick another, as it would not be to their best interest financially. If someone picks the UBP as a perk and then only has 1 drink a day, it is on them, not the cruise line, because the passenger knows going in what the terms and conditions are.

BTW, I've never purchase the UBP, because I could not drink that much, but did take it on my last cruise as a perk (I had to pay the 18%, because back then they didn't give you the perks based on your upgrade, but on the original cabin booked through CAS) and I probably broken even or did a little better with my drinks versus the 18% and the additional tips that I tipped to the servers and bartenders.

The way I look at it, if one doesn't think they will drink an amount equal to or more than the 18% gratuity, then they should pick another, as it would not be to their best interest financially. If someone picks the UBP as a perk and then only has 1 drink a day, it is on them, not the cruise line, because the passenger knows going in what the terms and conditions are.

BTW, I've never purchase the UBP, because I could not drink that much, but did take it on my last cruise as a perk (I had to pay the 18%, because back then they didn't give you the perks based on your upgrade, but on the original cabin booked through CAS) and I probably broken even or did a little better with my drinks versus the 18% and the additional tips that I tipped to the servers and bartenders.

I understand your point of view, and even agree with you. A reasonable person under the terms stated would not choose the package. I was just pointing out that those that do get less than a fair deal. But, like you say, it's their choice.

Cheers.

The worst thing about these "gratuities" is that they are misleading and falsely imply that they're tips.

They aren't.

Your "gratuities" are going directly to NCL, not ship employees. The crew receives a FIXED paycheck agreed upon beforehand.

The DSC and the forced tips for specialty dining and beverage packages are actually just additional revenue for NCL. They do NOT affect staff pay.

The only tips actually distributed to the crew are the additional ones you voluntarily leave on your checks. However, those tips are pooled and split amongst those in each department. The only way to tip a specific employee is with cold, hard cash.

This is not the first time i have heard this. I wont name names, but we became really good friends with an employee on one of the ships and we asked her that question that if she sees a difference in her check with the " gratuities" she said no, that she gets a set amount specified in their contracts that is why i always have asked myself if the employees get that extra money and it seems they do not ( but one employee is not enough evidence).. So we always tip extra for someone who is doing an outstanding job at the end of our cruise. :) however someone told us is just that employee wanting to get more money out of us LOL. We have seen her various times and we don't mind tipping her she is a hard working girl and goes out of her way to make our cruise enjoyable, so is great to have that kind of service.

Edited by qtaromar1970

The $200.00 charge for the UBP is the reason I cancelled the Getaway and booked with Celebrity with no 18% add on.The total charge for Celebrity with the best pkg is $276.00, which includes the Premium Bev. Pkg, Grats,Internet, and $300.00 OBC. If you add the pkg to whatever catagory (mine is a balcony) the cruise is less than NCL or RCCL. Those were the only 2 that I was interested. Princess also has a drink pkg on their cruises, but with a $10.00 limit.

<snip> Princess also has a drink pkg on their cruises, but with a $10.00 limit.

Compare what drinks are included with the Princess package as against the higher priced NCL package.

Princess includes: speciality coffees, bottled water, fresh squeezed OJ, single malt scotches - the list goes on. Their package is about $50 pppd + 15% gratuity. Very few of their drinks are above $10 (their limit).

NCL's package - none of the above, several drinks over their $15 limit and $79 pppd + 18% gratuity.

The two packages are not in the same ball park.

Those were the only 2 that I was interested. Princess also has a drink pkg on their cruises, but with a $10.00 limit.

Princess also has some of the lowest priced alcoholic drinks in the business. I had the package and it covered everything I ordered, including specialty martinis.

I didn't mean to disparage Princess. As you can see by my signature, I have the Regal booked under the 3 for Free program, and am very happy with it. Both Princess and Celebrity have far better packages than NCL.

Didn't take you as disparaging Princess at all. Just giving out info for other readers that there are much better packages out there than NCL's (well all booze packages actually).

I know this thread has drifted a wee bit from time to time as people offer their personal opinions about a variety of onboard experiences, but I hope it's OK and go back to answer the original inquiry . . .

Are you a loyal customer? and what makes you keep coming back?

. . .

I guess i am biased. I don't know if i will ever look at other cruise lines, but will never say never, since i said i was not going on the Epic and here i am, going on it in October. i also have to admit that i do understand why some loyal customers feel their loyalty is not appreciated. I can certainly see the changes, the price increases, the various fees and how some may think their money does not go as far as it used to with NCL but quite frankly what does these days?. At the end of the day I am the one who makes the choice to stay with NCL, at least FOR NOW.

Loyal, YES, but exclusive, NO.

Am I growing increasingly disappointed in NCL corporate decisions, YES.

It is enough to make me exclude the cruise line from future bookings, NO . . . at least not yet.

I keep coming back because I love cruising, live in convenient Florida, and with only one exception the overall onboard crew/staff has been fantastic.

I board one particular ship for the third time this weekend, and am VERY much excited about that. It's not my favorite overall NCL ship, but it did offer me one of my two favorite cruises of all time last year. I anticipate the experience will be a bit 'watered down' in comparison, and I've already set a goal to focus on the fun experience I'm having in the present (Hey, I'm not at the office) and not a constant history of 'what used to be'. That way I shouldn't be disappointed.

What has definitely changed for me is the free word-of-mouth marketing that I was routinely offering in praise of pretty much everything NCL. I work in the travel/tourism industry, and rarely a single work day passes that I'm not asked about cruises, since SO many know my huge passion for that form of vacation travel. I no longer offer recommendations of the NCL product, but I definitely don't speak about it negatively. I treat it like I do the current election year, and all the social media surrounding it . . . Total Silence.

This morning, there was a [to me] very interesting post on LinkedIn that I fixated on more than I do most, and I immediately made the connection to Norwegian Cruise Line.

The biggest concern for any organization should

be when their most passionate people become quiet.

We looked at this the same way you did. We just drink tap water and coffee, so picked the gratuities and specialty dining as our free at sea choices. What we will spend on drinks we predict will be less than the gratuity, so this perk on our case would cost us more not less.

For the specialty dining (one of the lower value perks) the three meal upgrade was perfect, as we were originally without the upgrade planning to try two and actually trying three sounded fun.

I also thought that the rep for us at least when we booked made this pretty clear.

Paying the full sum for UBP yourself on NCL and getting your money worth for 7 days straight equals a free pass to a medevac on the 2nd night.

Given the recent rise in drinks prices, the medevac is not so likely now (except for a coronary caused by when you see some of the prices)...:rolleyes:

I wish there was a "like" button because that is exactly 100% correct. That is one of the best, most accurate post ever. Its exactly my thoughts. People are such whiners.

I agree as well. I haven't cruised as much as many others here, but from reading many reviews before our first cruise, my DH and I were wondering if we were going to be happy with cruising. Then, after the first cruise was complete, we realized that there are many people who nit pick things to death. We are booked on our first NCL cruise this December, chosen for price and itinerary, and are looking forward to it, and we know we will have a great time regardless. We learned quickly to take many reviews with a grain and that a cruise, like many things, is what you make of it and we try to make the most of it after all the planning and anticipation! :)

I know this thread has drifted a wee bit from time to time as people offer their personal opinions about a variety of onboard experiences, but I hope it's OK and go back to answer the original inquiry . . .

Loyal, YES, but exclusive, NO.

Am I growing increasingly disappointed in NCL corporate decisions, YES.

It is enough to make me exclude the cruise line from future bookings, NO . . . at least not yet.

I keep coming back because I love cruising, live in convenient Florida, and with only one exception the overall onboard crew/staff has been fantastic.

I board one particular ship for the third time this weekend, and am VERY much excited about that. It's not my favorite overall NCL ship, but it did offer me one of my two favorite cruises of all time last year. I anticipate the experience will be a bit 'watered down' in comparison, and I've already set a goal to focus on the fun experience I'm having in the present (Hey, I'm not at the office) and not a constant history of 'what used to be'. That way I shouldn't be disappointed.

What has definitely changed for me is the free word-of-mouth marketing that I was routinely offering in praise of pretty much everything NCL. I work in the travel/tourism industry, and rarely a single work day passes that I'm not asked about cruises, since SO many know my huge passion for that form of vacation travel. I no longer offer recommendations of the NCL product, but I definitely don't speak about it negatively. I treat it like I do the current election year, and all the social media surrounding it . . . Total Silence.

This morning, there was a [to me] very interesting post on LinkedIn that I fixated on more than I do most, and I immediately made the connection to Norwegian Cruise Line.

The biggest concern for any organization should

be when their most passionate people become quiet.

I know a few " NCL FANS" that were really passionate about the brand so much to the point of defending it now i ask them about it and the word is " MUM" to the point one of them is now with Celebrity. I agree with the become quiet quote :-):D

Epic turned us off a bit, ship wise and service wise and have gone to Celebrity since initially due to the free drink package that was really free and the cost of the cruise never increased in price when they introduced this perk ... win win (can't say that now since it seems their price is padded to cover the 'free' perk.)

That said, I never considered my back totally turned from NCL or any line. What I find perplexing is hearing people say how much cheaper NCL is over others and I keep comparing prices and I am just not seeing it. Their prices do not seem any lower (though were in the past), and many that I compare (like departure/length/itinerary) I find NCL more costly and it keeps me wondering what others are referring to when they say this .... and yes i take into consideration if there is a perk thrown into any of them.

Like others have said, cost/value has to come into play and NCL most often comes out lower on the list as of late. That and the fact that they are building their newer ships with smoking in the middle of the ship where it drifts everywhere and with crowds forced to travel through it for most everything at least in the evening; for me this is a major design flaw that they seem happy to repeat.

Really want to try RCL but they seem to have higher prices too ... the way it is going cruising may out price itself for me especially with our bad US/CAD exchange. :(

Edited by poffles

We had a great cruise on the Sun this month, but one thing about the beverage package that I didn't care for at all was the choices for red wine. The Chardonnay was good, but the Cabernet, Shiraz and Malbec were just not what I like to drink. The Merlot was a little better. NCL has seriously reduced the wine options available with the beverage packages.

We have cruised NCL 6 times, Celebrity twice, Regent and Royal once and we like NCL and keep coming back to it. I was on Royal's anthem last week and its hard to describe how much I prefer NCL's ships. I also think the staff is friendlier, more attentive and better trained. We are booked on Getaway (3rd cruise) in January and especially after the Royal experience looking forward to it.

In short we have no thoughts on giving up on NCL and personally I think most of the complaining about NCL and FDR on the boards are people who just complain about change.

That said, I never considered my back totally turned from NCL or any line. What I find perplexing is hearing people say how much cheaper NCL is over others and I keep comparing prices and I am just not seeing it. Their prices do not seem any lower (though were in the past), and many that I compare (like departure/length/itinerary) I find NCL more costly and it keeps me wondering what others are referring to when they say this ....

Just the other night I saw that NCL has a 14-day itinerary that's RT out of Southampton and goes to Norway, Scotland, and Iceland. I priced it out with prepaid gratuities as my promo (I was looking at an inside as this would be a solo cruise, and the Jade doesn't have studios). The cost ended up being $3038 (base fare with promo). I looked at both Princess and HAL for similar itineraries, and IIRC for cruises that weren't quite as long the base fares were hundreds higher--I believe one of them was about $1,000 higher. I'm finding this pretty consistently with European and Alaskan itineraries. It may be different for Caribbean cruises, but I don't care for the Caribbean so don't ever look at those cruises.

Just the other night I saw that NCL has a 14-day itinerary that's RT out of Southampton and goes to Norway, Scotland, and Iceland. I priced it out with prepaid gratuities as my promo (I was looking at an inside as this would be a solo cruise, and the Jade doesn't have studios). The cost ended up being $3038 (base fare with promo). I looked at both Princess and HAL for similar itineraries, and IIRC for cruises that weren't quite as long the base fares were hundreds higher--I believe one of them was about $1,000 higher. I'm finding this pretty consistently with European and Alaskan itineraries. It may be different for Caribbean cruises, but I don't care for the Caribbean so don't ever look at those cruises.

We did that NCL cruise in Fall of 2014 on the Star. It was a great cruise and we did a B2B transatlantic back to the USA.

We did miss two ports, Alesund, Norway and the Faroe Islands due to a Cat 2 hurricane. We encountered the roughest seas that we have ever experienced on that cruise with 40 ft high waves hitting the ship. Many on the ship were sea sick, even the crew. DW and I were not sea sick, but we did stay in bed one day and read a book while the waves were high. The Captain picked up Belfast as another port. Still, the cruise was great.

Here is my review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=264272

We did that NCL cruise in Fall of 2014 on the Star. It was a great cruise and we did a B2B transatlantic back to the USA.

We did miss two ports, Alesund, Norway and the Faroe Islands due to a Cat 2 hurricane. We encountered the roughest seas that we have ever experienced on that cruise with 40 ft high waves hitting the ship. Many on the ship were sea sick, even the crew. DW and I were not sea sick, but we did stay in bed one day and read a book while the waves were high. The Captain picked up Belfast as another port. Still, the cruise was great.

Here is my review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=264272

WOW! That sounds like quite the experience. Thanks for the link to your review. I'll take a look. If I do book it--which is likely--I'll probably do the B2B and sail to NYC. It will mean 25 days on the ship, which will be a treat!