Your advice is welcomed

LEO supporter

When you're in a port stay with the people. Don't go off anywhere. Join your roll call here. You will meet others on your cruise and may meet other singles. You can plan to do things together too! There may be a meet & greet to meet everyone on the roll call. W

We have done things with our roll call, including we chartered our own moonlight sail for 12 of us and have taken other tours together.

Any advice for a single woman going on a cruise?

There are separate sub-threads for single cruises: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139

and solo cruisers: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

You'll get more targeted answers to your specific questions there.

The only other advice I have is standard - don't worry too much, and have fun.

Your biggest problem is cost - few ships have cabins for singletons, so its usually a double cabin, and at least double the price.

Most cruise lines cater well for singles, with usually a get-together (often a breakfast) set up for singles - ask at Guest Relations when you board.

nbt's advice about selecting traditional dining on a large table is spot-on. Traditional is when you have the same table, same tablemates, same servers, same time, every evening.

Most cruise lines put singles together on tables of about 10, so you'll be with plenty of others in your situation & can quickly strike up friendships. Singles' tables tend to be the liveliest & the last to leave the dining room because they're chatting, and often hook up to go to on to a show or a bar after dinner, and to go ashore together mob-handed.

Much easier for singles than most land vacations. :)

JB :)

When you're in a port stay with the people. Don't go off anywhere.

This is ridiculous! Bonnie- have you traveled anywhere by yourself?! I've traveled solo all over the world, and one of my delights is to wander off, away from the crowds. Of course, one needs to be smart about it- but so do couples and groups. Yes, a solo woman may have to be a bit more cautious in certain areas, but to make such a broad statement is absurd!

no different than taking any other trip/vacation alone. you take the same precautions.

and

This is ridiculous! Bonnie- have you traveled anywhere by yourself?! I've traveled solo all over the world, and one of my delights is to wander off, away from the crowds. Of course, one needs to be smart about it- but so do couples and groups. Yes, a solo woman may have to be a bit more cautious in certain areas, but to make such a broad statement is absurd!

Word.

No need to meet up with people in order to do something. If you are used to going it alone, do it on your cruise. I actually feel better on my own than with a herd of strangers whose conduct I am unfamiliar with and may put me in harms way. I like to look like I know what I am doing and where I am going (even when I don't), and having a group looking up guidebooks or looking clueless or acting without common sense because they feel "safe" in a group puts me in very uncomfortable environments.

If there is an excursion or activity you want to do, book it and have fun! but, you need not rely on others to make your vacation.

Onboard, it is no different. For dining, are you comfortable dining alone? If you are, just ask for a table for yourself and enjoy. If you want to try dining with a group of strangers, do it. If you love it, keep it up. If they bore you or make you uncomfortable or throw the "pity" at you ("my, how brave you are to travel all by yourself" - had that a few time), feel free to not join them again and dine solo. No need to stick to the buffet - the MDR and specialty dining venues are available for single cruisers, also.

Edited by slidergirl

Join the roll call for your cruise. We've met lots of solo cruisers.

About staying with people. Go with your own comfort level and listen to your intuition. Only place I'd recommend being with people is water sports.

When you're in a port stay with the people. Don't go off anywhere. Join your roll call here. You will meet others on your cruise and may meet other singles. You can plan to do things together too!

That's a ridiculous recommendation, IMO. Solo female travelers do not need accompaniment everywhere they go! Most ports cities are no more dangerous than the average major US city, and many are safer. If a woman is aware of her surroundings, follows her gut, and behaves with reasonable safety, there's no reason a woman can't visit a city on her own.

I'm a single cruiser and like to sit with different people each night. Since I do long cruises, I usually find several people I like to spend time with, but I still like meeting different people.

I've gone into quite a few cities by myself, but maybe because I'm an experienced single traveler I'm quite confident and fearless.

Just do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is anyone from Florida or Philadelphia going on the Konnigsdam Holland America ship on December 4th. Does anyone recommend any tours if they have been to the ports already?:)

Here's a link to your roll call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2225567.

These are the people on the same sailing. That's the best place to post your question. You can see if they have tours set up for roll call members.

Any advice for a single woman going on a cruise?
I cruise solo all the time and actually prefer it to cruising with others, as I can do what I want to do and don't have to worry about what someone else wants to do.

If you are going on a cruise line with fixed dining, I would do that, as you will always have tablemates. When I do fixed dining, I always ask my tablemates to let me know if they won't be there the next night for dinner; I couldn't imagine showing up and no one but me being at the table. Definitely join your roll call, as I've had some roll calls where some of the solo cruiser get together and have dinner together. If you go to specialty restaurants or have anytime dining, take a book or Ipad and catch up on your reading, if that make you feel more comfortable.

I go on a lot of shore excursion and usually end up talking with folks and they always ask for me to join them on other excursions.

Don't nervous about talking with others or asking if you can join a table at the buffet, as you never know if you will find a new friend.

Hope you enjoy your cruise as much as I've enjoyed all of the cruises I've taken.