What's so great about Guys?

nealstuber

We won't do any of the fast food venues at all. Can't remember the last time we did McD's. etc., but, we loved 5 guys when it finally came to our island and have enjoyed Guy's on our cruises. Are they similar? Yes. Did it change our cruise? No. Did it give us another choice for lunch? Yes.

We didn't understand why theses burgers were so popular. /there was practically nothing on the toppings bar. The burgers were cold and greasy.

I am surprised to hear this. On Conquest, mine were hot off the grill and there were plenty of toppings available.:cool:

This is an easy answer. There is nothing "Great" about a guys burger.

I was on the Breeze in August and tried Guys twice…once with cheese and once without.

I will break it down for you:

1. Meat: It is flavorful and the best part of a Guys burger. But best does not mean great. I like the flavor. I would give it 8/10, but it is greasy, so 7/10.

2. Bun: It was not toasted. Just a plain bun. I give that a 6/10 at the bun was fresh.

3. Cheese: They definitely over-cooked the cheese to the point it was running/pooling off the side of the burger. This is no good. This is a waste of cheese. But they do it this way because they place a small cube of cheese on each patty and they have to really let it spread out. Not a good way to do cheese iMO. I prefer that a nice slice of cheddar be placed on the burger and once it gets “wet” look you remove it from the grill. By the time you fix up the burger and eat it, the cheese will be perfect. As far as no cheese? Seems most everyone wanted cheese, so when you request one without, it could take an extra minute or two. And might be slightly undercooked if you are waiting as they want to keep the line moving. So for the cheese/no cheese, a 6/10.

4. Toppings Bar: A wide variety to suite most peoples tastes. I just prefer a plain burger with ketchup, mayo and a couple tomato slices. This is not complicated so nothing too astonishing about providing a tomato and mayo. However, within minutes after it opens, the toppings bar becomes quite a mess with everyone in a rush to dress up their burger. Kids, adults...didn't matter. The workers try to keep it clean...yeah they do try. And they do try to keep everything refilled. They do try. But once I had to wait about 5 minutes for the ketchup to be refilled. That was not good. So I give this a 6/10.

5. Fries: Horrible. Nothing more to say.

6. Other: It always seemed to be busy when it was open from 12:00-6:00 but the line moved fast. They really should extend the hours to 11:00-8:00 as it is quite popular.

So my overall rating of a Guys Burger is 6.25. And since I would never rate any burger a 10, I guess to be fair I would bump it to 7.25. To me it is average. Better than McDonalds or Burger King, but not nearly as good as the many burger joints around San Antonio (Bracken, Chris Madrid, Sam's). I would even rate a Whataburger double patty ahead of Guys…just as flavorful, less greasy, and better bun!

On related food notes: How can the Blue Iguana not offer a beef burrito at lunch? They do know they are ported in Texas? That is outrageous. And finally, their WMC was more M than C. Not nearly as good as the Magic or Triumph. But I ordered it every night in hopes it would get better…it never did. Almost asked for a straw the last night.

I think the reason I like them so much is that it's just good fast food/ comfort food. It's much better than the buffet, rubbery chicken and weird pasta.... no tganks. Guys fries are also very good. P.S. I thik Guy Fiery is obnoxious.

Love the fries like I said before but love the mushrooms more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've heard a lot of raving about the fries, I don't eat meat so I eat far too many potatoes, suspect I will be doing the same with these fries. Do we know if the mushrooms are cooked in butter or something?

Never had a Guy's burger, so this is an honest question as regularly see folks on this board recommend on ship or line vs the other on this issue alone. To me, the cost difference in cost between my favorite burger (at Texas Roadhouse) and my least favorite (A comparably sized burger at McDonald's) is about 5 bucks.

Even if I chose a burger for a meal twice on a 7 day, that's 10 bucks. Is there something special about the atmosphere?

Guy's burgers are the worst burgers in the world, they are grease bombs.

I ate part of one of those burgers once.

There was grease all over the outside of the bun.

It was okay, but I was concerned that the amount of grease would make me sick.

It also takes a lot of napkins.

Someone mentioned that the condiment area was messy and it really kind of revolting looking.

At the risk of hijacking this thread... can we just grab fries at Guys? We can right?

it's cruise ship, eat what you like, they don't make you eat a burger. I hate cold fries sitting piled high. I wait for a new basket, never eat the old ones.

People lose their minds on a cruise ship....everything all of a sudden becomes "the best thing I ever had"....people will say the Alchemy Bar serves the best drinks ever. The Steak house is the greatest steak you will ever eat and Guys all of a sudden is the best burger in the world. None of these claims are true of course, but people get excited. Is a Guys burger as good as a burger in a nice gastro pub? No, not close. Honestly, I put it just a shade below Five Guys

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

Guys is OK. I think they're fine and I like the condiment bar idea but I would never rave about Guys. I remember Burger Chef had a "fixins bar" so you could dress your burger as you wished so the concept isn't new.

Now if they had and "In and Out Burger at Sea" it would be a different conversation!

They're ok. Tasty enough. Very greasy. They're not the best I've ever tasted, and I certainly wouldn't book a cruise just for them.

DH likes them,so we'll have them for lunch once or twice if available.

Don't like the fries. I can only tolerate a few.

The fixins bar is a nice touch

Edited by VASOXFANN

As they say "to each his/her own"....my opinion is that they are not that great at all and didn't care for them. Didn't like the idea they were on a greasy pan behind the counter. Didn't care that the topping station was out in the open away from the burgers area, it was very messy looking, saw people adults as well as kids touching items with their fingers and also noticed some flies too. Tried them on 3 different ships and not impressed at all with the taste, quality and overall appearance but like I said to each his/her own.

it's cruise ship, eat what you like, they don't make you eat a burger. I hate cold fries sitting piled high. I wait for a new basket, never eat the old ones.

Oh I wasn't worried about judgment just wasn't sure how guy's worked.