Favorite NCL Ship & Itinerary and Why

taylortime05

Hi,

I have sailed twice on RCCL on Oasis & Allure. I thought they were both very nice but we had our 3 teen to adult children with us.

On our next cruise it will be just me and hubby so we are not as concerned about all the very intense activities on board. We are looking at NCL because they seem to offer little more for the money than RCCL right now.

We like to relax, enjoy good meals and have good entertainment.

What has been your favorite NCL ship & Itinerary and why?

Thank you for your feedback.

Norwegian Sun from NYC, 2 weeks at sea, back to NYC.

The Sun is the smallest ship in the fleet with the best aft-facing balconies. Small means more motion in rough weather, great. Don't care about sightseeing. The ship is the destination . Hey, you asked. Whatever floats your boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Norwegian Sun from NYC, 2 weeks at sea, back to NYC.

The Sun is the smallest ship in the fleet with the best aft-facing balconies. Small means more motion in rough weather, great. Don't care about sightseeing. The ship is the destination . Hey, you asked. Whatever floats your boat.

2 weeks at Sea sounds great! But not the rough weather, I'd get seasick. How was the entertainment on the Sun?

Thanks

The Sun is the smallest ship in the fleet with the best aft-facing balconies.

The smallest ship in the fleet is actually the Spirit I think.

They are pretty close in size, and the Spirit is slightly longer I believe, but based on gross tonnage, which is the generally accepted measurement, the Sun is bigger.

The Sun also carries more passengers than the Spirit (although looking into this, it isn't conclusive, depending on the source).

Edited by KeithJenner

Our favorite itinerary is the Panama Canal full-transit. It gives us at least two weeks which slows down the pace of the cruise in comparison to the 7-day frenzy to get the most out of the vacation. It has an almost even number of port days to "travel" and at sea days to "vacation". The Canal transit is always fun. Also, as a longer itinerary it has fewer children which is a little more relaxing.

Our favorite class is the Jewel class and favorite ship is the Pearl. We like the size and the configuration of the Jewel class and especially the art on the Pearl. We don't need all the extra shows, restaurants and activities that are on the bigger, newer ships. The other ship we really enjoyed is the Sun. She is slightly smaller and older, but she is very comfortable and has lots of areas to relax; she rarely seemed crowded.

One thing mentioned by many from other cruise lines is they see the Norwegian decor as garish. I prefer to think of it as "colorful" and fun. If you are used to the muted and neutral tones on other lines it might need your sunglasses for the first few days. ;)

I liked the Jewel class ships if you are traveling without kids. They are mid size, not too big and not too small. Plenty of activities without being overwhelming.

Another vote for the Jewel Class. I love them! I disagree that they are "mid-size"; they are behomoths. But they are manageable for passengers, and offer lots of public ocean-view space. I also like the Dawn class ships.

NCL is clearly going for a stacked "shopping mall on a barge" business model with the new ships. I've tried them and will not repeat. Count me out.

• 3 months later...

@taylortimes05

Entertainment on the Sun? Sorry, no idea. On something like 14 cruises since, we have 'done' maybe five shows. Just not our thing. However, we have a heck of a good time every time we are at sea.

I've like both the Dawn & Spirit on the smaller ships. Have been very pleased with the entertainment on NCL so far. I feel relaxed and drink more on this line with no scheduled dress code or dining.

My favourite port to sail from is San Juan I love starting in the Caribbean then it takes me to my fav two ports Antigua and Barbados that being said I like beautiful beaches I don't get to see back home.

Have fun choosing what's right for you!

Ps The Dawn is leaving San Juan Jan 7 2018 ending in Tampa a 10 day cruise very reasonable pricing. Might be interested after sailing this year just saying I got hooked.

Another vote for the Jewel Class. I love them! I disagree that they are "mid-size"; they are behomoths. But they are manageable for passengers, and offer lots of public ocean-view space. I also like the Dawn class ships.

NCL is clearly going for a stacked "shopping mall on a barge" business model with the new ships. I've tried them and will not repeat. Count me out.

The Jewel Class are definitely considered mid sized in todays cruise industry. Even Holland America, which builds its entire marketing tag line and operation around operating mid sized ships, operates a larger vessel (with several more on the way). For what it is worth, 75,000 to 100,000 is now the new midsize, and 60,000 and under is considered "small"

The smallest ship in the fleet is actually the Spirit I think.

They are pretty close in size, and the Spirit is slightly longer I believe, but based on gross tonnage, which is the generally accepted measurement, the Sun is bigger.

The Sun also carries more passengers than the Spirit (although looking into this, it isn't conclusive, depending on the source).

From the Norwegian website:

Norwegian Spirit:

75,904 GRT

2018 guests at double occupancy

Norwegian Sun:

78,309 GRT

1,038 guests at double occupancy

Sun has a higher GRT and carries less pax, so should feel less crowded. However, your milage may vary on that one. I personally enjoyed my cruise on the sun, but disliked the layout (could only go in and out the observation lounge on one side, found the garden cafe VERY narrow and tight, creating a bottleneck) I would go on another cruise on her again though.

I agree with you, in that I love the Jewel and Dawn class ships. So far we have not cruised on the mega class ships, and have no plans to. Our next cruise is on the Dawn---Boston to Bermuda. We enjoy Bermuda for its beautiful beaches, quaint shops and buildings in St. George, and the ease of getting around on public buses and ferries while you're docked for three days.

Even though the Bermuda cruises are only 7 days, we prefer longer cruises. Many times we'll try to book cruises that are 9 days or more. I wish that NCL could add another port to some of the Boston to Bermuda cruises to stretch it out a few more days. Charleston, S.C. would be a perfect stop.

I agree with you, in that DH and the friends we cruise with prefer the Jewel and Dawn class ships. We have not yet cruised on the mega-ships, and have no immediate plans to do so.

Our next cruise is booked on the Dawn for Boston---Bermuda. We enjoy Bermuda's beautiful beaches, quaint shops and buildings, and being able to get around on public buses and ferries while you're docked there for three days. While we love Bermuda, which is only a 7 day cruise, we look for cruises which are 9 days or longer. I wish that NCL would add Charleston, S.C. to some of the Boston--Bermuda cruises to stretch it out. Since Bermuda is off of the coast of the Carolinas, it would be a perfect stop.

From the Norwegian website:

Norwegian Spirit:

75,904 GRT

2018 guests at double occupancy

Norwegian Sun:

78,309 GRT

1,038 guests at double occupancy

Sun has a higher GRT and carries less pax, so should feel less crowded. However, your milage may vary on that one. I personally enjoyed my cruise on the sun, but disliked the layout (could only go in and out the observation lounge on one side, found the garden cafe VERY narrow and tight, creating a bottleneck) I would go on another cruise on her again though.

Just to clarify, the NCL Sun has 1,936 guests at double occupancy. 1,038 is a typo. Still fewer guests than on the Spirit, but only by about 100.

I like the Jewel class ships, but did not care for the Dawn. But my favorite is the Sun, I have cruised in the aft penthouse twice. Great suite. Even greater balcony.

My favorite cruise to date is the South American Cruise. I did get to go to Antarctica... really memorable.

I agree with you, in that I love the Jewel and Dawn class ships. So far we have not cruised on the mega class ships, and have no plans to. Our next cruise is on the Dawn---Boston to Bermuda. We enjoy Bermuda for its beautiful beaches, quaint shops and buildings in St. George, and the ease of getting around on public buses and ferries while you're docked for three days.

Even though the Bermuda cruises are only 7 days, we prefer longer cruises. Many times we'll try to book cruises that are 9 days or more. I wish that NCL could add another port to some of the Boston to Bermuda cruises to stretch it out a few more days. Charleston, S.C. would be a perfect stop.

Barb have you seen the 14 night cruise on the Dawn October 26,2018? Boston to 7 Caribbean islands and returns to Boston.