Question about Holland America hotel packages in Rome

AtlantaCruiser72

I'm looking at booking an independant hotel and transfers in rome pre-cruise as compared to the HAL packages. The offerings I'm considering with HAL are the Visconti Palace vs the Savoy - leaning torwards the Savoy.

Both of these hotels typically include breakfast in their standard rates, is that the case with the HAL packages as well? The agents at HAL could not tell me one way or another.

Would there be a compelling reason to choose one property over another?

The pricing for booking an independent hotel of similar quality and securing private transfers seems to be coming out in the same price range for a 3 night pre-cruise stay, so having everything through HAL seems fairly logical, but open to thoughts/ideas.

I have looked at a couple of hotels near that Pantheon (Hotel Abruzzi and Hotel Pantheon) that seem like good options, but would not save me much, if any, $ as compared to the HAL packages (especially if the euro gains any ground against the Dollar)

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

I have used the HAL pre-cruise hotel package for the Visconti Palace and was very satisfied. An American Breakfast Buffet as well as items that one would find included with a European/Continental breakfast was included each morning. The buffet was very good, I thought.

I liked the hotel's location because of its proximity to the Vatican and the Vatican Museum which were my main sightseeing destinations for that particular visit to Rome. The hotel is in easy walking distance of the Vatican and an interesting ancient Fort, whose name escapes me right at this moment, is an interesting attraction on the way. Plenty of restauarants in the area and I felt safe walking around in the area day or night.

The transfer to the hotel from the airport and from the hotel to the pier was smooth and uncomplicated. A van type vehicle was used rather than a bus. I was the only guest going to the hotel and there were only 3 of us going to the pier from the hotel the morning of embarkation.

I am not familiar with any of the other hotels mentioned in your post.

Would I return to the Visconti Palace? Yes. Have you checked the hotel's web site for more information about the property?

Edited by rkacruiser

We cruise with friends. They wanted to do the HAL hotel package. We did not. They booked the Visconti Palace through HAL. We booked it on our own. Instead of HAL transfer to the ship, we booked a shared ride with another couple we met on CC. We went in a private car. They went on a large bus. We also just got a cab at the airport to the hotel. That was super easy. This was several years ago but if I remember correctly we saved a lot of money. I also think if you book the hotel independently you can book the trip to the ship at the hotel. Of course, you can't depend on them having the room. Breakfast was included with both of our rooms. I think our room was a slight upgrade from theirs but not enough to matter. I liked the hotel but it is only convenient to the Vatican. All the other sites are a cab ride away. That wasn't a problem.

Where I stay depends upon how long we will be there.

We did go to the Vatican (get a private tour guide that takes you to the secret places and skips the lines - it's fabulous).

We chose to stay in a different locale so we could walk to the Colisseum and so many other sight and take a cab to the Vatican rather than have to take a cab everywhere else.

One day - no big deal - 3 or 5 days makes a difference.

We have always done better (other than London many years ago) doing our own hotels. More selction - more choices.

A lot of fantastic hotels in Rome. Yours is well rated. If your precruise is a one day, it's ideal for the Vatican. :)

We booked a van for transfer along with several Roll Call members. Very affordable but due to street sizes it could not get to our hotel. Which was the Albergo Caesari about a block from the Pantheon. Very reasonable rate, clean & comfortable (if small by US standards) and great rooftop breakfast. In fact the rooftop patio/bar were a really pleasant place to end the day. Walking distance to everywhere - Vatican to Colosseum - although we did take bus/train to Ostia Antica (not to be missed!).

If you have found a HAL package that's not much differently priced than making your own reservations and arranging your own transfers then you are doing well indeed. I generally have found their prices near double that of booking it independently (and this was for my parents -- so no solo supplement involved). Did you factor in the fact that the HAL packages are charged per person?

Be that as it may, I'll just offer that in my opinion, the best locations in Rome are the most central ones -- not by the Vatican (unless that's all you plan to do) as it is sort of an "outlier". If you stay in the Central historic district, you can walk to just about anything, from the Colosseum/Forum to Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori, the Pantheon, Trevi, Spanish Steps, etc.

Agree. It is not just HAL either. We found the cruise line prices for Rome and for Venice to be about twice as much as we could easily do (and we did) on our own.

You need to be careful in Rome. One of the cruise lines (forgot which)was a proposing the Sheraton Parco/Golfo.. We had stayed there on a business trip. It is not at all convenient to the tourist areas.

Edited by iancal

Thanks for the many constructive and helpful replies!

I will be traveling with my Mother who is in her late 60s and moderately fit. We plan on staying 3 nights and I have already looked into some great small group guided tours of the Vatican as well as the Colosseum/Form/Palatine through Viator. Beyond those major sites we have no set agenda for other sights but will take things based on her energy level. We went to Rome back in the late 1970s when I was a kid, so this is a return visit, but in many ways may seem fresh as so much time has passed. I did a day trip with a colleague from Naples a few years ago to visit the Vatican as well, so know full well how important a pre-booked, skip the line tour is!

I know the Visconti is not as central, but it's not terribly far from a metro stop either and easy walking to Piazza Navona and the Pantheon. The Savoy looks a bit more "posh" but possibly a tad more removed, though it too is an easy walk to a metro stop, but further from some of the central sites.

I have the Visconti on hold with HAL, and will have to see what kinds of deals on a more centrally located hotel I can get later on. Right now I can book direct with the Hotel Abruzzi (as an example) and the price is decent for 3 nights, but the online sites do not yet have rates for Sep/Oct 2017 available quite yet, so would be interested to see if I can do better. I love the location and look of the Abruzzi, as well as several nearby hotels (Hotel Pantheon for example), but until the online sites get pricing they are not much of a savings as compared to what I have with HAL (factoring in airport-hotel and hotel-ship transport booked independently - based on RomeCabs), though their location is amazing.

My mom is sort of picky when it comes to hotels so it has to be a VERY good 3.5 to 4 star property or I will not hear the end of it .... and I'm getting too old and pampered to do the budget bare bones route meself :D

We will also be embarking in Rome on Koningsdam this spring. We have booked (refundable) a hotel in Civitavecchia across from the port, arriving one day prior to cruise. However, if HAL is offering an airport pickup in Rome to hotel and then hotel to port of Civi, then we may change our plans. Could you please share what HAL charges for this. This way I can research doing on our own and compare it to HAL. Thank you!

For a much more reasonable price, you can shop on your own for good hotels. We have stayed several times near Termini (yes, not prime tourist area - but easy walk from Leonardo Express from airport as well the intersection of the Metro lines giving easy access to all of the city). You might want to check Hotel Nord Nuova on via. G. Amondea, or Atlantico or Mediterraneo on via Cavour - all quality places with good included breakfast, for probably less than half of what HAL-arranged stays at Visconti or Savoy would cost.

For a much more reasonable price, you can shop on your own for good hotels. We have stayed several times near Termini (yes, not prime tourist area - but easy walk from Leonardo Express from airport as well the intersection of the Metro lines giving easy access to all of the city). You might want to check Hotel Nord Nuova on via. G. Amondea, or Atlantico or Mediterraneo on via Cavour - all quality places with good included breakfast, for probably less than half of what HAL-arranged stays at Visconti or Savoy would cost.

Thank you, I'll definitely check this out! Our first trip to Rome and it's a bit daunting!